Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 05:58:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidentally sent my bitcoins to my send address, HELP????  (Read 886 times)
wolfofmayfair (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:31:36 PM

Hi Guys,

Im in a panic here!

I accidentally sent my bitcoins from my localbitcoins.com account to my send address & NOT my request address in multibit!

There has been 4 confirmations on the blockchain and I really dont know what i should do next?

Silly mistake i know, but was so easy to make Sad

Have i lost my coins or can they be recovered?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:40:07 PM

There is no such thing as "your send address".  You sent bitcoins to someone elses address.  Now you need to figure out who it is.  They have your bitcoins.  Your only option is to find them and ask for them back.  If you can't then Bitcoin transactions are intentionally irreversible so you have lost them.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:45:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Im in a panic here!

I accidentally sent my bitcoins from my localbitcoins.com account to my send address & NOT my request address in multibit!

There has been 4 confirmations on the blockchain and I really dont know what i should do next?

What exactly is a send address? I don't use multibit, I am using bitcoin-core. And in bitcoin-core there is an address book of addresses that belong to you on which you can receive and send bitcoin and then there is the address book for outgoing addresses in which any address that you ever sent bitcoin to is stored, those do NOT belong to you.

If that is the similiarity then you have sent your bitcoin to someone else. And most likely you have used multibit before to send bitcoin to that address and should know who it belongs to.

If that is not a similar thing and "send" and "request" are just names given to addresses for convenience reasons in multibit then you should be good because bitcoin per say doesn't know such a thing as addresses that are only used for sending and addresses only used for receiving. An address is an address is an address and serves both purposes: You can receive bitcoin on any address you own and you can send bitcoin from any address you own.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:52:17 PM

Can you post the address to which you sent the bitcoin? It can be entered at http://blockchain.info/ and may help you figure it all out.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:55:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Im in a panic here!

There is nothing called Send Address in Bitcoin protocol. If u have the pvt key, the coins are yours.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 03:57:48 PM

It sounds like you sent them to someone you know, someone you sent Bitcoins to in the past.  Have you figured out who you sent them to?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
wolfofmayfair (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 04:13:25 PM

ah! sorry, really silly moment!

I've just realised the send funds data was still left in my multibit from the last transaction, luckily this was to my own exchange account!

Sorry for wasting anyones time, but coins now received!  Grin

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 04:20:39 PM

I've just realised the send funds data was still left in my multibit from the last transaction, luckily this was to my own exchange account!

Great news! Normally this sort of thing ends badly.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 05:19:17 PM

Great lesson to learn and luckily in your case the address you sent it to was credited to you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: