Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:35:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug Report: autocompletion in "To:" field of Private messages  (Read 627 times)
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:40:30 PM

Apologize if it was already posted, couldn't find it.

Happens to me on both firefox and chrome.
Step to reproduce: Go to messages, click new message. In the "To:" field, write: ' "luckybitsupport" ' (coud be any other name, but I think the longer the higher chance of issues).
See the weird (stochastic, looks like it depends on typing speed) behavior. Sometimes it works but most of the time the string just become "<html>"

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:07:46 PM

I am not able to replicate this bug. Autocompletion of this field seems to work flawlessly in my case.

Are you experiencing some slow internet connection when it happens? Or maybe are you using too many browser windows or tabs opened at the same time?

That field sends an Ajax request with the chars you typed and then you have to wait for the server response (the matched username).
Maybe that "<html>" you see is the beginning of a message from the server (or also by the javascript that sends the request) like an error or timeout.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 09:52:13 PM

I am not able to replicate this bug. Autocompletion of this field seems to work flawlessly in my case.

Are you experiencing some slow internet connection when it happens? Or maybe are you using too many browser windows or tabs opened at the same time?

That field sends an Ajax request with the chars you typed and then you have to wait for the server response (the matched username).
Maybe that "<html>" you see is the beginning of a message from the server (or also by the javascript that sends the request) like an error or timeout.
I have just tried this on Chrome and I couldn't replicate it either.
OP how about you record your screen and let us see what actually happens? This seems like simple step.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 11:34:35 PM

Ok I will try to record a video tomorrow (simple pictures wouldn't be meaningful).
I think it happens only when I type fast enough (I can type quite fast) for the autocompletion to be useless (ie, it never gets time to propose me something before I hit next char).
I have high-speed connection, this is for sure not an issue here.

I can see this problem on both my desktop and laptop and both firefox and chrome. All under linux.

abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:34:41 AM

I've just tried with fast random typing too, but still can't replicate it.

To see where that "<html>" is coming from, in Firefox for example you can open Firebug, go to Console tab, click on the latest GET request and then look at the Response tab. This should give you some hint.
If you want to post here this Response PAY ATTENTION it is just html and DO NOT post also some sensitive data from other tabs like PHPSESSID or SMFCookie that could bring you security problems (if it happens then just logout, clear all cookies and login again ASAP; it should be enough).

Maybe it's worth mentioning that it's not sure that this kind of bug - if it's a bug - would be considered prioritary and then addressed because of the new forum software in development.
But that's just my impression; let's see if there is some news from the staff.
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:51:06 PM

I've just tried with fast random typing too, but still can't replicate it.

To see where that "<html>" is coming from, in Firefox for example you can open Firebug, go to Console tab, click on the latest GET request and then look at the Response tab. This should give you some hint.
If you want to post here this Response PAY ATTENTION it is just html and DO NOT post also some sensitive data from other tabs like PHPSESSID or SMFCookie that could bring you security problems (if it happens then just logout, clear all cookies and login again ASAP; it should be enough).

Maybe it's worth mentioning that it's not sure that this kind of bug - if it's a bug - would be considered prioritary and then addressed because of the new forum software in development.
But that's just my impression; let's see if there is some news from the staff.

Good suggestion. Found that it happens whenever I get a 503 error on the autocompletion request. The response is then:

Code:
<html>
<head><title>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
Truncated then to the first line which replaces the nick I'm typing (didn't check the javascript part but it must be that).

Still, I don't know why I often get this with a good connection on two different browsers and computers, in different locations, and that nobody else can reproduce.  Huh

Indeed it's not high priority anyway.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:51:36 PM

You can get that error if you're sending HTTP requests too quickly. Each character typed generates a request, but this shouldn't be enough to trigger rate-limiting unless you're also doing many additional requests elsewhere. Maybe it could happen if your browser is doing prefetching, or if it isn't caching images properly.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:51:10 PM

You can get that error if you're sending HTTP requests too quickly. Each character typed generates a request, but this shouldn't be enough to trigger rate-limiting unless you're also doing many additional requests elsewhere. Maybe it could happen if your browser is doing prefetching, or if it isn't caching images properly.

Ok, thanks for the info. I don't think I'm doing anything special in terms of HTTP activity (and only one forum tab open). I don't get 503 errors on anything else when using the forum. Browsers are firefox 29.0 and chrome 34.0.1847.116 on ubuntu 12.04.

The good news is that it seems to happen only to me Smiley

I'll let you know here if I find a reason for that error, I'll check carefully all my requests going in/out.

abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 02:19:32 AM

I'll let you know here if I find a reason for that error, I'll check carefully all my requests going in/out.

Yes, let us know, this thing is getting curious.
And in case you find out that there aren't additional requests, AFAIK I'm left with one doubt:
How the hell fast do you type?  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: