Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:01:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending wrong coin to another wallet  (Read 689 times)
Spytryc (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:26:07 PM

I am fairly new to Crypto and this morning sent WC to a WDC wallet. A stupid hangover mistake. The WC wallet was at Cryptsy and the WDC wallet was at mcxNow.

Will I get my money back? What is the process for this?

I have emailed mcxNow, but in typical crypto fashion no response, which is a problem with most of the exchanges. Although I do acknowledge my mistake.

Thanks if you can help

umair127

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:59:45 PM

you should have used the blockchain wallet, but is mcxnow non solvent or scammers, if they are not then you should be able to get ur funds back.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3098

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 11:35:42 PM

you should have used the blockchain wallet, but is mcxnow non solvent or scammers, if they are not then you should be able to get ur funds back.

He sent a different coin to them.  How is he supposed to recover that?

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:21:57 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 04:23:08 PM by odolvlobo

You did not send the WC to a WDC address. You sent the WC to a WC address that happens to be the same as a WDC address.

Accessing the coins is straightforward. If both coins have the same procedure for generating the address from a private key, then the same private key can be used to access coins in both block chains. mcxNow has the WDC private key in their wallet, so if the addresses are compatible, all mcxNow has to do is to import that same private key into a WC wallet. Then they can access your WC.

If the addresses are not compatible, then the coins are lost forever because you sent them to an address for which nobody has the private key.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:10:00 AM

Just wait for support to give you access with the private key?

ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:56:34 AM

I thought this idea was the same as sending your coins into oblivion?
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:54:33 AM

If both coins have the same procedure for generating the address from a private key, then the same private key can be used to access coins in both block chains.

Accessing the coins is straightforward. You can't send coins from one block chain to another. You sent the WC to a WC address that happens to be the same as a WDC address. mcxNow has the WDC private key in their wallet, If the addresses are compatible, all mcxNow has to do is to import that same private key into a WC wallet, and then they can access your WC.

^ This.

MCXNow does not have your WC -- you sent it to a WC address that (most likely) no one currently has immediate access to. However, if the WC address that you sent it to and the WDC address that your MCXNow account is linked to share the same private key, then you may recover your coins if MCXNow accesses that WC address and sends it back to you. Alternatively, they can cut off the middleman and just tell you that private key, but relinquishing one of their private keys would be going beyond what they are responsible for business-wise, which, based on your account of the story, is absolutely nothing.

Truth be told, I don't expect you to recover your coins if Cryptsy has already sent them to the new address. However, since Cryptsy is painfully slow at processing withdrawals, then assuming that your withdrawal is still pending, I would highly suggest asking Cryptsy support to cancel it if possible. That might be your best shot at recovering your funds.
Ludi

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:41:43 AM

Contact their customer service first. I think the coins will get sent back eventually though?  Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: