Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:57:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think the value of bitcoins will ever stabalize?  (Read 3658 times)
gurg2.o (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:49:32 PM

So confused yet intrigued haha.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:03:35 PM

If your hypothesis is that there are repeating patterns in the time series then you can use Pearson to test it. My point about the PPMCC being scale agnostic is that you can successfully compare samples that have different scaling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_product-moment_correlation_coefficient
This would be useful if we understood the correlations between seemingly unrelated events. The patterns may not yet be recognizable until greater scale is measurable. Even so, such patterns are useless until they can make accurate predictions. We are a long way from that. OTOH, maybe there is some Manipulator that has it all figured out and is getting rich.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:07:00 PM

Not sure if it will ever stabilize, but I am sure I can't reliably use Bitcoin for international money transfers until it does. This way it's more of a gamble than money transfer.

How long does a transfer take?

Overall, going from CAD cash, to the USD in a US bank or credit union:
1. Deposit CAD into Cavirtex account - few hours
2. Buy BTC on Cavirtex, withdraw to MtGox, sell - an hour (this is where the fluctuation in price might ruin or sweeten the deal)
3. Withdraw USD to Dwolla - a day
4. Withdraw from Dwolla to the US account - three days

When the price is stable, the cost is much lower than exchanging currencies at the bank and paying international wire transfer fees. It's also faster (~4 days total) and safer then mailing a USD draft/certified check to avoid wire transfer fees.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:40:18 PM

Hmm... if there is money available on the other side (before doing the transfer), you could buy on Cavirtex, and sell on Gox at the same exact time and reduce the risk even more. Of course, that requires money on the other side which makes it less convenient.

Feel free to open a business that does currency conversion through bitcoin Wink
gurg2.o (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:46:15 PM

Smiley let's do it haha
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:22:21 PM

Bitrated user: Mick.
gurg2.o (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:23:10 PM

lol!
Zoomer

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:50:59 AM

The PM of Malaysia in the 90s insulated his country from foreign speculation which saved them from the economic crisis of the late 90s which destabilized every country around them. When he first suggested it at Davos economic conference they nearly laughed him out of the building then after his country survived the worst regional recession they hailed him as a hero.

Lol @ #bitcoin-cabal clearly the btc secret society

This is hardly the line I would take if I wanted to ingratiate myself with the leadership.

Plus, it's not even true.
Zoomer

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:53:15 AM

2. Buy BTC on Cavirtex, withdraw to MtGox, sell - an hour (this is where the fluctuation in price might ruin or sweeten the deal)

Right, I missed the hour part. That sucks.

Hmm... if there is money available on the other side (before doing the transfer), you could buy on Cavirtex, and sell on Gox at the same exact time and reduce the risk even more. Of course, that requires money on the other side which makes it less convenient.
Or a banker to step up and start selling options or futures. Hell it might even stabilize he currency a little.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:04:22 AM

Or a banker to step up and start selling options or futures. Hell it might even stabilize he currency a little.
Kind of complicated to use, but here is an options market: http://polimedia.us/bitcoin/options.php

Also, I have heard rumors of a soon-to-open derivatives trading market.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 08:59:40 AM

It's fractals all the way down.

Yeah, I totally get this!
ptshamrock

Activity: 484

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:16:10 PM

I've said this all over the forum. I'll say it again. It will take three things for a stable price.

A much higher exchange rate.

A much larger group of people buying and selling bitcoins.

A wider distribution of bitcoins.

When these three things happen, one person (with either a ton of fiat money or a ton of bitcoins) won't be able to move the market several percent with one purchase or sell.

These things take time. As long as the network doesn't fail, they will eventually happen.

Until then, don't expect a stable bitcoin.

AMEN !

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: