Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:14:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What mean uptime between reboots do you consider stable?
1 hour - 0 (0%)
6 hours - 0 (0%)
1 day - 3 (3.4%)
1 weeek - 35 (39.3%)
1 month+ - 51 (57.3%)
Total Voters: 89

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you consider stable?  (Read 6193 times)
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 09:10:08 AM

Whats wrong with XP? I'm on XP right now and system is working nonstop without probs for 4-5 days

Lol, talking about low expectations.
My HTPC runs ubuntu. I just checked the uptime.

Code:
xxx@HTPC:~$ uptime
10:05:30 up 211 days, 23:07,  2 users,  load average: 1.11, 1.10, 1.09

So it has been 7+ months since the housekeeper pulled the power cord or I updated the kernel. In the 3 years Ive used it, unplanned reboots: zero.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCMan

Activity: 535

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:02:45 AM

Whats wrong with XP? I'm on XP right now and system is working nonstop without probs for 4-5 days

Lol, talking about low expectations.
My HTPC runs ubuntu. I just checked the uptime.

Code:
xxx@HTPC:~$ uptime
10:05:30 up 211 days, 23:07,  2 users,  load average: 1.11, 1.10, 1.09

So it has been 7+ months since the housekeeper pulled the power cord or I updated the kernel. In the 3 years Ive used it, unplanned reboots: zero.
You can't play DirectX games on ubuntu\any other linux editon, if not with wine and crappy performance. And I bet XP can last that long without problems.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:12:04 AM

... I bet XP can last that long without problems.
Unless it REALLY needs that reboot following an update Tongue
Just fooling around, sorry.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:20:19 AM

And I bet XP can last that long without problems.

Ill gladly take that bet. Most XP rigs dont last that long without a full reinstall, let alone without a reboot.
As for DX games, I dont give a hoot, its a home theatre PC. That doesnt mean its hardly used; in fact its constantly used as digital video recorder (mythtv), media player and network streamer (xbmc) as well as file- and print server. Good luck running an XP based windows media center for that long.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 12:03:23 PM

I must be doing something right with my Windows rigs.  My first trial at multiGPU was my 4x6870 on a MSI 890FXA-GD70.  Put 2 cards on risers and put the rig in front of a box fan and it's been crunching non-stop without reboot since mid-July - OS is Win 7 X64 (sadly I don't think I put service pack 1 on it).

2nd rig is the same setup but using a copy of XP that was originally installed on a laptop HD.  I just swapped in the HD, installed the chipset drivers, ATI drivers - and it's been running 4 6870s non-stop since August.

I did have to reboot a 3rd rig earlier this month since I messed up my remote login updater (stupidly uninstalled it).

I was thinking about trying Linux to free up some hard drives which I could sell since HD prices shot up with the flood but now it seems not worth it to have downtime and lose my remote login.  The only breaks the rigs have gotten have been my jumps from BTCGuild to slush to ARS and then to ABC (DDOS respits lol).

Turning off power saving in 7 was easy - i just set it to maximum performance and made sure HD and video didn't power down.
BCMan

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 12:11:39 PM

... I bet XP can last that long without problems.
Unless it REALLY needs that reboot following an update Tongue
Just fooling around, sorry.
Yeah, but I don't update it over a year and don't care. Just have a monster router with monster firewall.

And I bet XP can last that long without problems.
Ill gladly take that bet. Most XP rigs dont last that long without a full reinstall, let alone without a reboot.
As for DX games, I dont give a hoot, its a home theatre PC. That doesnt mean its hardly used; in fact its constantly used as digital video recorder (mythtv), media player and network streamer (xbmc) as well as file- and print server. Good luck running an XP based windows media center for that long.
My current XP was installed >2 years ago and it working as great and effective as was installed 2y before. Each to their own.

jake262144

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 12:20:32 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2012, 12:47:17 PM by jake262144

Yeah, but I don't update it over a year and don't care. Just have a monster router with monster firewall.
Yes, that firewall precludes an attacker from killing your old XP with a single packet. Bravo! Undecided

Just don't expect it to save your butt should you ever navigate to an exploit-enhanced webpage... Roll Eyes Headshot!
Seriously, be the boy-scout and do your updates twice a year, k? That will stop a whole myriad of malware using old vulnerabilities dead in their tracks.

The bad news is, old (patched) vulnerability exploits are ridiculously cheap, selling a dime a dozen, if not being freely accessible by any malware author.
They are still being included just for such users as you.

I really hope you're not using that unpatched XP machine for anything other than gaming. If you do, god help you.
...and don't keep a broken Bitcent in the wallet there.
BCMan

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:08:40 PM

Just don't expect that to save your butt should you ever navigate to an exploit-ridden webpage... Roll Eyes Headshot!
Can't latest Firefox + Google search + KIS2012 (they should name it kiss my ass) + Spyware Terminator 2012 + my epic router and firewall solve this prob? Dis shit is unbeatable.

Seriously, do the updates twice a year then. That will cut out a whole myriad of malware using old vulnerabilities.
The bad news is, old (patched) vulnerability exploits are ridiculously cheap if not freely accessible to any malware author.
I don't give a fuck really.

I really hope you're not using that unpatched XP machine for anything other than gaming. If you do, god help you.
I do, I'm mining with it and all my confidential stuff there - job docs, web money, all my passwords in txt files, for years... and bitcoins now... Amen. lol Fuck you hackers! If they will hack my machine at least once I will be impressed and even give them some bitcoins. But so far,

...and don't keep a broken Bitcent in the wallet there.
Broken bitcent?
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:30:21 PM

IM sure you have nothing to worry about.

BCMan

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:35:54 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2012, 01:57:10 PM by BCMan

IM sure you have nothing to worry about.

Sure, man, I'm all like that. So, what's the prob with XP? You experienced these problems personally or this is just a rumors of some idiots, who even can't use it properly? I use XP since 2002, and didn't had any fucking crazy hackers, which stole all my passwords. And system has rock solid stability, can't say the same about shitty Linux and Win7.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 02:18:14 PM

Ive used just about any OS on the market from OS360 to modern AIX. And obviously every consumer windows version inbetween. That doesnt mean I base my opinion solely on personal experience to  gage security or stability of an OS,  anymore than I use my personal crash statistics to determine how safe or reliable my car is, nor do I determine smoking is safe just because I havent gotten lung cancer yet. The security system in XP is fundamentally broken, I dont need to have been hacked to realize that.

BCMan

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

The security system in XP is fundamentally broken, I dont need to have been hacked to realize that.
Oh, cmon, XP is just a freaking oyster considering security in comparison to my killer hardware firewall. And IF I'll open some infected site, but that unlikely will happen ever, then KIS and ST will take care of it. But it's a very stable system, much more stable than shitty linux, I don't even talk about performance.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:03:45 PM

So you really think you are secure huh? If you are,Id challenge you to publish your IP address on some hacker site and request they hack it for a bounty. Just leave say 10 BTC in your wallet and move the rest offline. Depending if you got the message to the right audience, Id give it a few hours tops before your coins vanish.

BCMan

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 04:11:43 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2012, 08:21:43 AM by BCMan

So you really think you are secure huh? If you are,Id challenge you to publish your IP address on some hacker site and request they hack it for a bounty. Just leave say 10 BTC in your wallet and move the rest offline. Depending if you got the message to the right audience, Id give it a few hours tops before your coins vanish.
Publish my ip? Sure, 192.168.0.1. Come get some. lol. Really, my shit is fucking unbreakable, I tell ya.
 So all the issue is in XP security, and not how it's rock stable?
jake262144

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 06:18:56 PM

Broken bitcent?
Bitcent (or bit-cent): 0.010 BTC
Broken Bitcent: 0.005 BTC (half of the normal bitcent).
Spamming images does you no credit here.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 07:18:04 PM

Ill spam one too

bitbetter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 04:39:17 PM

I consider stable at least a month

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:49:31 AM

Publish my ip? Sure, 192.168.0.1. Come get some. lol. Really, my shit is fucking unbreakable, I tell ya.
10points good sir, Ten, Points.
Im Windows XPerianced and yeah, My XPeriance was alot more "solid" than my MOTHER FKKKING POS WIN7!!!

FUCK DID THEY EVER MESS ALOT OF SHIT UP WHEN GATES LEFT.

I Still have XP on dualboot. It loves to stay alive.
192.168.0.1, Is most certainly your ip, And if anyone says otherwise, They're retarded and dont get the joke.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:31:44 AM

Im Windows XPerianced and yeah, My XPeriance was alot more "solid" than my MOTHER FKKKING POS WIN7!!!

192.168.0.1, Is most certainly your ip, And if anyone says otherwise, They're retarded and dont get the joke.
127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1
Hmm, should update for IPv6...
::1 sweet ::1

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 07:11:13 PM

127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1
Hmm, should update for IPv6...
::1 sweet ::1
Cheesy

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: