Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:29:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about paper wallet from new guy  (Read 926 times)
BillyBobJoe (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:26:14 PM

I have a question about paper wallets.

While looking into paper wallets I think I have come across conflicting info and now am a bit confused.

At first I was under the impression that when you go to "spend" from the paper wallet you should sweep the entire amount out. Then I started seeing suggestions that when you set it up one should test it to make sure all is good by spending a small amount.

Anybody want to help straighten me out here?

Regards,
BBJ
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:30:27 PM

Don't spend it, the purpose is to keep it offline and by spending it you're putting your private key out there.  I wouldn't re-use a paper wallet either, just make another one.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BillyBobJoe (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:35:31 PM

Don't spend it, the purpose is to keep it offline and by spending it you're putting your private key out there.  I wouldn't re-use a paper wallet either, just make another one.

Yes, I understand all that. But, at some point in time it will need to come out and be used. Actually in this specific case I am giving my Nephew a paper wallet load with a little BTC for his birthday in hopes of getting him involved. Who knows how long he will be able to sit and look at it, unspent.

Thanks,
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:46:55 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 10:18:28 PM by Tirapon

When you redeem the balance, you'll generally be sweeping the entire amount - then send any excess to a new paper wallet. The only exception I can think of would be if you import the private key from the paper wallet into an Armory wallet for signing transactions offline.

Then I started seeing suggestions that when you set it up one should test it to make sure all is good by spending a small amount.

They probably meant try out the process using a small amount to make sure you understand it, and then repeat using the full amount that you want to save offline.

I'd also suggest making several copies and storing them safely in different places.
BillyBobJoe (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:10:54 PM

When you redeem the balance, you'll generally be sweeping the entire amount - then send any excess to a new paper wallet.

Oh. Do you have any input on how to do that? Not sure I know where to start to send the excess?

Thanks,
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

Oh. Do you have any input on how to do that? Not sure I know where to start to send the excess?

You basically create a transaction sending the coins from the paper wallet to two addresses. One of the address is your hot wallet for everyday use and the other address is the new paper wallet.
BillyBobJoe (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:29:20 PM

You basically create a transaction sending the coins from the paper wallet to two addresses. One of the address is your hot wallet for everyday use and the other address is the new paper wallet.

I will look into the two address option. Never tried that before.
Thank you,
BBJ
Tirapon

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:19:43 PM

Which wallet do you use?
BillyBobJoe (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:42:18 PM

Which wallet do you use?

I use Multibit, and keep a small amount of BTC at Blockchain.info.

I found that dealing with paper wallets and Multibit is a bit difficult, or so it seems so far.

I did make a paper wallet for a very small amount and was able to import it into Blockchain.

I have installed Electrum, but have found Multibit more to my liking, so far.

Tirapon

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:15:56 AM

Blockchain.info is very good in my experience. Just make sure you use a strong password, and don't forget it! Also, back up your wallet identifier. I have one mate who used a terrible password and lost his entire balance, and another who lost his wallet identifier (fortunately we were able to recover the wallet, as he had remembered his password.)

Alternatively, if you have enough disk space just run Bitcoin QT and keep it running. Helps the network  Wink
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:25:22 PM

Then I started seeing suggestions that when you set it up one should test it to make sure all is good by spending a small amount.

This is what I have done for testing.
1. Create a paper wallet using bitaddress offline and print out the paper wallet.
2. Send a small amount (0.01 in my case) to the address.
3. Import the private key to send my 0.01 back to my other wallet.

At that moment, I am sure both the creation and import of my paper wallet worked.
So then I create a new paper wallet and send 95% of all my bitcoin to the new address. Smiley
Tirapon

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:32:59 AM

This is what I have done for testing.
1. Create a paper wallet using bitaddress offline and print out the paper wallet.
2. Send a small amount (0.01 in my case) to the address.
3. Import the private key to send my 0.01 back to my other wallet.

At that moment, I am sure both the creation and import of my paper wallet worked.
So then I create a new paper wallet and send 95% of all my bitcoin to the new address. Smiley

Make sure you have several backup copies!  Smiley
Brooker

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 11:32:34 AM

I prefer to just keep my wallet offline for storage. I dont trust paper wallets for some reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: