Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:41:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB vanity generated address  (Read 3074 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:58:19 PM

Anyways, anyone interested in buying an address starting with 1BitCoin or 1BiTcoin?  Grin
I wanted to get 1bitcoin but it is already "taken" with respect to firstbits:  http://firstbits.com/1BitCoin and it is the "black hole" address 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE - one of my favorite BTC black holes.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 10:55:21 PM

pm sent

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 12:15:20 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2017, 09:29:28 PM by deepceleron

I have seen a thread related to the most difficult vanity address found to date but I can't find it right now.

I thought I might have a a contender - a nine-letter that uses "o" (twice the difficulty, since there is no Base58 "O" substitute in a case-insensitive search):

If I keep doing this instead of mining bitcoins, I might end up 1DEsTiTuteD8i6XNrV3Ueeb4rUu1EtwPVY...
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 12:30:29 AM

Smiley

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
markio (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:55:57 AM

I have seen a thread related to the most difficult vanity address found to date but I can't find it right now.
If I keep doing this instead of mining bitcoins, I might end up 1DEsTiTuteD8i6XNrV3Ueeb4rUu1EtwPVY...
Destituted ... haha  Grin

I'll send you a PM, thanks for the list!
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 10:34:14 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2017, 09:27:44 PM by deepceleron

I'll send you a PM, thanks for the list!
You should PM me an email address to send the private key, preferably one where you use pop3/smtp, not webmail. Having the private key means someone would have access to any bitcoins in that address, so you don't want them stored on a webmail or forum message database where curious eyes might snoop. Generating your own is even better than letting an internet stranger make you an address.

Of course, if you send me your pgp public key, I could encrypt the email too (or even post it anywhere and only you could decrypt the contents). Getting pgp or gnupg set up would be a good newbie task to learn about encryption...

I'll make a "pywallet for dummies" walkthrough post in the pywallet topic in a bit, showing how to set it up and use the web interface.

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:37:58 PM

I don't like the sound of this...
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:16:00 PM

I don't like the sound of this...
Freud calls this "projection" - traits we know about ourselves and don't like, we also project onto others.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 04:03:53 PM

He was warned that this is not the best idea in post #2 on this thread.  He decided to trust deepceleron and that is his informed choice.

deepceleron:  BTW I have been toying with ideas on how to create a secure system of "distributed vanity address mining" on various other threads.  I was just about to do it when Gavin brought up the point that BIP 16 will make vanity address generation and my distributed vanity address generation idea easier and less computationally intensive.  If BIP 16 passes then we should be able to make much longer vanity addresses for the new addresses that start with 3.

You seem to do a lot of address generation.  Would you be interested in joining a vanity address generating pool (for pay) - if such a thing was to be created?

MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 12:40:29 AM

He was warned that this is not the best idea in post #2 on this thread.  He decided to trust deepceleron and that is his informed choice.

deepceleron:  BTW I have been toying with ideas on how to create a secure system of "distributed vanity address mining" on various other threads.  I was just about to do it when Gavin brought up the point that BIP 16 will make vanity address generation and my distributed vanity address generation idea easier and less computationally intensive.  If BIP 16 passes then we should be able to make much longer vanity addresses for the new addresses that start with 3.

You seem to do a lot of address generation.  Would you be interested in joining a vanity address generating pool (for pay) - if such a thing was to be created?

I might, and i believe a ton of people would, granted the pay was higher than just mining BTC/NMC
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 06:51:56 PM

Markio finally gave up on vanitygen himself (in eight hours of GPU generating, I only found one "hard" lower-case 1markio, after all), and requested my help, and a new wallet.dat was fine for him.

Send markio some coins!

Note: I ran bitcoin -keypool=0 at all times while creating the wallet. There are only these five addresses in the wallet; when he first uses it, Bitcoin will then create the 100-key reserve pool. This is important - pressing "create new address" will give keys from the pool he generated on his computer, so any future addresses I can't possibly know.

PS. Why did some anonyfounder decide to store the Bitcoin settings in the wallet instead of an .ini file or registry??
    "settings": {
        "addrProxy": "127.0.0.1:23075",
        "fMinimizeOnClose": "False",
        "fMinimizeToTray": "False",
        "fUseProxy": "False",
        "fUseUPnP": "False"
    },

markio (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 04:35:54 AM

I'm learning a lot from this experience and I've got some cool new addresses, thanks again deepceleron
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 05:23:39 AM

Markio finally gave up on vanitygen himself (in eight hours of GPU generating, I only found one "hard" lower-case 1markio, after all), and requested my help, and a new wallet.dat was fine for him.

Send markio some coins!

Note: I ran bitcoin -keypool=0 at all times while creating the wallet. There are only these five addresses in the wallet; when he first uses it, Bitcoin will then create the 100-key reserve pool. This is important - pressing "create new address" will give keys from the pool he generated on his computer, so any future addresses I can't possibly know.

PS. Why did some anonyfounder decide to store the Bitcoin settings in the wallet instead of an .ini file or registry??
    "settings": {
        "addrProxy": "127.0.0.1:23075",
        "fMinimizeOnClose": "False",
        "fMinimizeToTray": "False",
        "fUseProxy": "False",
        "fUseUPnP": "False"
    },

Good thing I never traded any vanity addresses, didn't even THINK about keypool until now. Definitely a very important thing to be conscious of.

ThePiachu

Activity: 444
Merit: 307

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 12:42:16 PM

I can generate a vanity address for you - no problem.  BUT you do NOT want anyone to do this for you for the simple reason that if I, or anyone, generates the address for you then I/they will know your private key.  It is really not that hard to do yourself.  Just download the program and run it.  I can help you with setup questions and a regular expression for the program if you want me to.

BTW I own a lot of cool addresses including http://firstbits.com/1xyzzy  If you know what that means then you are older than dirt (like me).

Now you don't need to trust a third party to generate your vanity addresses:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84569

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: