Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2024, 09:28:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attack Bans ?  (Read 908 times)
Ybancounter (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:51:26 PM

Hello all,

I've just been banned for 30 days simply for posting very coherent on topic replies to topics that interests me.  I've recently noticed the definition for what is considered spam is being changed on a case by case basis to benefit some and ban others IMO.   
First it was trolling, extremely short sentences, off topic replies.  Then things like bumping were not ok and a couple other examples were given as time went on.  Now it's very vague nontransparent  terms like "insubstantial posts".  I've done my best to follow the rules but it seems that isn't going to be good enough for some.

A couple weeks ago I got 7 day ban but I didn't complain because I'm not looking for any attention.   I'd much rather use the forum like any other person who comes here to learn with other like minded individuals.
At this time I'm feeling very much like this is some sort of personal attack on me for no rational reason other then the simple fact the person doing the banning has the ability to do so and just doesn't like me.

I'm asking that others view my posts and give their sincere opinions on how my posts are in any way spam, insubstantial or worthy of a 30 day ban.  I see folks posting much lower quality and not being banned and even though I consciously  post well thought out posts with my opinions I'm banned again and again.
I'd like there to be a discussion on this topic.  There seems to be a double standard for some people around here and a very nontransparent method for people who are banned with very little reason to dispute the ban.

I feel this needs to be discussed after my other account was banned months ago and I've not once gotten a reply about how to remedy this issue.  I suspect that is going to happen with this account.

Here is my account: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=16116

Ban Quote: "Sorry counter, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Spam, insubstantial posts (30 days)"
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:26:01 PM

The problem with completely transparent definitions as to what will or wont get you banned, is that people are then able to play the system. If it was a temporary ban, then I can guarantee it was 100% deserved, as there are limited moderators who are able to do temporary bans, and the ones that can are the forums most experienced.

As far as remedying the situation, Theymos is the only one who can handle Ban Appeals, and frankly speaking, it does not happen often. There is a fair bit of oversight that goes into the banning process, with accounts that aren't newbies especially, mistakes are very rare, and your own misinterpretation of the rules tends not to be a great defence. While there are very few hard rules written, most go without saying. A 30 day ban leads me to believe that it was either not your first mistake regarding the same subject matter, or it was way outside the realm of what a reasonable person would expect of you to post. The fact that you were banned twice for "spamming" whatever that encompases, means that you were given consideration or that double standard, as you weren't permanently banned after the first warning ban.

Obviously I don't know what your post was, and it was deleted I'm sure, so without that I can't try to point out specifics to what I believe to be your offense, but perhaps consider what I said, if it makes sense to you now more than before, in 30 days perhaps you will have understood what happened, and can avoid it in the future. You are very lucky to have got a 30 day ban actually, those are rather uncommon. Short temporary bans are the standard (3-7 day) and after that, you are gone.
Ybancounter (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:15:15 PM

The problem with completely transparent definitions as to what will or wont get you banned, is that people are then able to play the system. If it was a temporary ban, then I can guarantee it was 100% deserved, as there are limited moderators who are able to do temporary bans, and the ones that can are the forums most experienced.

As far as remedying the situation, Theymos is the only one who can handle Ban Appeals, and frankly speaking, it does not happen often. There is a fair bit of oversight that goes into the banning process, with accounts that aren't newbies especially, mistakes are very rare, and your own misinterpretation of the rules tends not to be a great defence. While there are very few hard rules written, most go without saying. A 30 day ban leads me to believe that it was either not your first mistake regarding the same subject matter, or it was way outside the realm of what a reasonable person would expect of you to post. The fact that you were banned twice for "spamming" whatever that encompases, means that you were given consideration or that double standard, as you weren't permanently banned after the first warning ban.

Obviously I don't know what your post was, and it was deleted I'm sure, so without that I can't try to point out specifics to what I believe to be your offense, but perhaps consider what I said, if it makes sense to you now more than before, in 30 days perhaps you will have understood what happened, and can avoid it in the future. You are very lucky to have got a 30 day ban actually, those are rather uncommon. Short temporary bans are the standard (3-7 day) and after that, you are gone.

I don't know how you can suggest the rules aren't completely transparent so people can't play the system.  I say this because I've been on many forrums I've always been under the impression the rules are supposed to be straight forward so people no what they should and shouldn't do so that they can avoid getting into trouble.  How can you 100% guarantee that I was banned for a good reason without knowing a single fact of my case it really makes me wonder.

You say my misinterpretation of the rules tends to not be a great defense in regards to appeals.  My question is how can I not be expected to to misinterpret the rules if they aren't transparent.  It seems to me I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  It's beyond walking on eggshells at this point.

"A 30 day ban leads me to believe that it was either not your first mistake regarding the same subject matter, or it was way outside the realm of what a reasonable person would expect of you to post. The fact that you were banned twice for "spamming" whatever that encompases, means that you were given consideration or that double standard, as you weren't permanently banned after the first warning ban."

How can a ban without the person know what they did wrong be even remotely considered a warning.  If someone slaps someone in the face for no reason it that a warning?  
How can you consider me not having a clue what I'm doing wrong because their is no information given other then "unsubstantial posts" a sufficient reason to get banned.  Would you not want to have the same information if you were in a similar situation?  Wouldn't any reasonable person expect to be given the details up front or at any time for that matter.

If the post was deleted I have no record of it happening.  This is my main issue there is no information for what I did wrong therefore no proof I've done anything wrong at all....
The fact that you consider this to me getting lucky is very saddening to be honest.  I don't know how this type of action can be accepted by reasonable people.  I have no clue what I've done wrong no way to have the issue overturned and I'm some how considered lucky in your eyes?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:19:26 PM

If the post was deleted I have no record of it happening.  This is my main issue there is no information for what I did wrong therefore no proof I've done anything wrong at all....
The fact that you consider this to me getting lucky is very saddening to be honest.  I don't know how this type of action can be accepted by reasonable people.  I have no clue what I've done wrong no way to have the issue overturned and I'm some how considered lucky in your eyes?
You could always try being a productive member of the forum without whoring out your signature space.
Ybancounter (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:23:51 PM

You could always try being a productive member of the forum without whoring out your signature space.

I have done that, been a member for years... I've only been active in the sig program of a total of 3 months.  Even if I was always apart of the sig campain for longer does that justify being mistreated in this manner.  Is this going to be about the sig campaign or the fact the I'm making a genuine complaint and that I feel mistreated?  

Are people going to address the issue or make this about something it really isn't about?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:54:39 PM

Your post is not only Hypocritical it's "counter productive" as well. You are adding insult to the OP on top of your Hypocritical stand with the "whoring out" the signature space. I notice yours is very full by the way.  Your "1 Liner" doesn't contribute to this thread at all and some would see it as "Spam" or trolling/flaming.
Since you brought it up, my signature pre-dates all the paid campaigns and I've never added to my mine because somebody is paying me.

In addition, everything in my signature is about providing my contact and reputation information, with the addition of LocalBitcoins as an encouragement for people to support censorship-resistant methods of currency exchange.

But thanks for asking.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:37:23 AM

But it is ok  for BFL to whore out the Trust Rating system.

If you ban because people are simply post to promote a given entity... why isn't the trust rating system also governed by the same restrictions?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:08:37 AM

It's actually quite clear to anyone with more than two brain cells that aren't fighting each other for survival as to why you were banned.

~BCX~

Lol, poetry.

/thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: