Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:45:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's to be done when a huge quantity of bitcoins is stolen?(+1% of world btc)  (Read 2841 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:51:08 AM

Reading in threads like that just makes it clearer for me:
There are no good guys. There is no authority you should trust in, especially not people in this Forum.
We have a lot of egomanic-cowards here, which compare themselves to Ghandi(Ghandi didn't hide from the government), but in reality just want to increase there own wealth and don't care about anybody else.
We have people here, who calls themselves anarchists, but want there own set of rules, rules that benefits them. That's not anarchism.
We have people here, who spread the same bullshit arguments over and over again, using the same words, but don't really answer you, when you challenge them: See here: A simple question that was never answered
Those people using the same methods politics and media uses: Repeat something often enough and people will start believing it.

Please people, think for yourself. Bitcoin is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that everybody who associates himself with it, is a good person.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
E-C.Guru (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

What thread do you think this is, turvarya? Because clearly we're not reading and writing in the same.

Who compares himself to Ghandi? Guru?  Cheesy

And why so many insulting degrading words of other bitcoiners? Nobody here have used foul words or personal insults, until now. Maybe someone had a bad nights sleep? Or already got their sore feet stomped somewhere else?

Or perhaps you're a troll because this thread just got ready for dustbin.

/Guru
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:35:01 AM

Just realized you get paid for every post that's not obvious bullcrap. Primedice should have you off the payroll though, because that post doesn't make any sense at all..
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:46:33 AM

Governments can try and outlaw what they want but who cares.

For a start they cant all agree on anything let alone all simultaneously banning BTC.

The US government tried to outlaw gold in 1933, during the time it was banned to own the price went from $20 to $195. The key difference as well is that you can catch someone with gold but good luck trying to prove someone knows a private key.
turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:05:23 AM

What thread do you think this is, turvarya? Because clearly we're not reading and writing in the same.

Who compares himself to Ghandi? Guru?  Cheesy

I am not just referring to this thread, but many others, I have read since I am here. You may have noticed, that I am longer in this Forum than you
Here an example of someone comparing themself to Ghandi

Just realized you get paid for every post that's not obvious bullcrap. Primedice should have you off the payroll though, because that post doesn't make any sense at all..
You also may have noticed, that I am not really writing that much. I am more reading and if you had read as much as I in this forum, you might realize that my post makes a lot of sense.
I don't want to offend you, but keep your eyes open and think for yourself. Don't believe everything that is written in here.

5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 11:09:53 AM

Here an example of someone comparing themself to Ghandi

I'm pretty sure they weren't comparing themselves to "Ghandi"[sic].

We have people here, who calls themselves anarchists, but want there own set of rules, rules that benefits them. That's not anarchism.

Please tell me more about these people, this set of rules, and what you think anarchism is and isn't.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:21:33 AM

Oh sht. I just realized that this is why they're not banning Bitcoin. Because a ban means person to person trade and use and thus no big Exchanges to hijack(impossible to steal from wallets, basically. At least on a big scale)

Or...?  Undecided

I just keep asking myself: Why is it legal?   Huh

Surely, without a doubt, if bitcoin is not banned then sooner or later Bitcoin/E-currency will be a real heavyweight fighting for the belt.

/Guru
It's legal for the same reasons the internet is legal.
turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:43:30 AM

Please tell me more about these people, this set of rules, and what you think anarchism is and isn't.

Have you even read the thread you are posting in?

As an anarchist I am 100% for blacklisting any nation-state government owned coins.

Starting with the wealth the FBI stole from all those innocent drug dealers on the Silk Road.

But I know, that you are asking this stupid question, because you know, you are one of this hypocrites I am talking about.
How far are you, with revoking your citizenship and moving into the wilderness, where you don't have to pay for the streets you are using every day?

5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:41:26 PM

As an anarchist I am 100% for blacklisting any nation-state government owned coins.

That's not a rule. Nor is it anything to do with anarchism. It turns out anarchists can have opinions too.

But I know, that you are asking this stupid question, because you know, you are one of this hypocrites I am talking about.

Can you point to something I have said/done which constitutes hypocrisy, in your view?

How far are you, with revoking your citizenship and moving into the wilderness, where you don't have to pay for the streets you are using every day?

Why do you believe that I should accept the state's geographical dominion any more than I should accept any other injustice? Where would South Africa be if Mandela had just left and gone somewhere that didn't practice apartheid? Where would the US be if King had just left?

When faced with injustice, my instinct is to confront it, and to resist it. Yours, bizarrely, seems to be to run from it.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:44:18 PM

I'm talking about finding the bitcoins and "blacklisting" them and thus deleting them ofcourse. What problems could this have? That it takes a ton of time that theese people have to do for free?

Yeah, no. This concept in relation to theft has been brought up many times before. The problem with this idea is who is given the power to decide which coins should be 'deleted/blacklisted' as whoever they do give it to basically has everyone at their mercy. It breaks the whole decentralisation by placing a single entity with all the power regardless of whether coins should be 'deleted' or not. People could even do it against people they hold grudges against and not for the intended purpose.

turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:06:33 PM

Why do you believe that I should accept the state's geographical dominion any more than I should accept any other injustice? Where would South Africa be if Mandela had just left and gone somewhere that didn't practice apartheid? Where would the US be if King had just left?
lol
Thanks for comparing yourself to Mandela and King. That is exactly what I meant.
Sorry, I haven't read about you openly confronting US-government. I must have missed that in the news.
Hypocrite ...

5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:11:10 PM

Thanks for comparing yourself to Mandela and King.

Can you cite where I compared myself to Mandela and King?

You seem to be struggling with basic semantics. Mentioning someone, is not comparing myself to someone.

Sorry, I haven't read about you openly confronting US-government. I must have missed that in the news.

Why would I be confronting the US government?

With the greatest of respect, you're a bit of a muppet.

MrWDunne

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:26:28 PM

If they are running their exchange properly, they won't allow their coins to be seized.

They would hopefully use a 2 of 3 system. If the government comes asking they will very quickly send out the coins to those they belong to.

turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:28:19 PM

Thanks for comparing yourself to Mandela and King.

Can you cite where I compared myself to Mandela and King?

You seem to be struggling with basic semantics. Mentioning someone, is not comparing myself to someone.

Why would I be confronting the US government?

With the greatest of respect, you're a bit of a muppet.
I see. You are one of this people, that don't even understand what they are self saying.
You compare, your not leaving of the USA to Mandela's not leaving of South Africa or King's not leaving of the USA. Therefor you compare yourself to them.
Is that really so hard to understand? Didn't you have any kind of education, where you learned that?
Seriously? Do you really don't understand what the words mean, that you are writing?

5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:34:56 PM

You compare, your not leaving of the USA to Mandela's not leaving of South Africa or King's not leaving of the USA. Therefor you compare yourself to them.

This is really quite basic stuff. I am trying to illustrate the importance of not running away from injustice, and am citing notable historical examples of this importance. This has nothing to do with comparing myself to the examples I cite. It would be a pretty strange world if one couldn't cite historical figures without being accused of comparing oneself to them.

If I was a Christian, and used Jesus as an example of why we should be kind to people less fortunate to myself, do you really think I would be comparing myself to Jesus? Smiley

Is that really so hard to understand? Didn't you have any kind of education, where you learned that?

You're struggling with really basic semantics here. See above, before questioning my education.

I should also point out, I don't live in the US.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:37:49 PM

From where you'll draw the line? Tell me why a 1% robbery of the coins should be treated any more differently than someone stealing 0.5% of the coins. If we block or destroy the Stolen Gox coins, then people will ask why this was not done earlier, in the case of Silk Road and other robberies.
turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:52:10 PM

If I was a Christian, and used Jesus as an example of why we should be kind to people less fortunate to myself, do you really think I would be comparing myself to Jesus? Smiley

Bad example. According to the bible, Jesus told us to be kind to others.
Where do Mandela and King say, that you should stay in your country and hide from the government, like you do?

You ask:
Where would South Africa be if Mandela had just left and gone somewhere that didn't practice apartheid? Where would the US be if King had just left?
Therefor you say: "Where would my country(obviously not-USA) be, when I would leave it?" I think, it would do just fine.
Staying in their country isn't the main thing, that defines this people.

Where would Cuba be, if Che hasn't killed a lot of people? According to your logic, I should kill some people.

hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:56:41 PM

Well if the government takes the btc then i think that they wud pay the people for their lost btc. but this might affect the value of the btc and then it wudnt be beneficial for the government itself.
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:17:09 PM

From where you'll draw the line? Tell me why a 1% robbery of the coins should be treated any more differently than someone stealing 0.5% of the coins. If we block or destroy the Stolen Gox coins, then people will ask why this was not done earlier, in the case of Silk Road and other robberies.

Well overall I'm with you on an anti-blacklisting mentality because it's the use of and storage of bitcoins that should change more than the protocoll itself. And 1% is at least to me no longer a problem, it's unsignificant for what I'm talking about. I am still concerned about what could happen if any single entity would acquire 10% or more though. I think, however, that's nothing we can do anything about since the mightiest men walking this earth could easily just buy that even with a skyrocketing price.

I'm just thinking, in the future, e-currencies could very well replace fiat. Either way if its that or just 1% of world economy whatever it is it's a revolution. And in at least my historybooks revolutions are always a bloody mess. Something we haven't seen so far.
turvarya

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:25:02 PM

I am still concerned about what could happen if any single entity would acquire 10% or more though. I think, however, that's nothing we can do anything about since the mightiest men walking this earth could easily just buy that even with a skyrocketing price.
Could he?
Basic of economics say, that for a demand there has to be a supply. So, if "the mightiest men walking this earth" wants to buy 10% of all Bitcoins, there have to be people who own that 10% and want to sell it.
There are enough stories in Stock Markets, where companies thought they have enough money to just buy, enough stocks of another company to take control but failed horribly.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: