Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:10:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else have stability issues with linuxcoin  (Read 5535 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 09:58:35 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 10:20:02 PM by bulanula

As RJK mentioned; those are the worst, because of the design. Its 2 slots and 2 sockets.
Without extender, so plugging a card straight in to the motherboard, you have a single non-soldered socket. With a regular extender cable you have 2. With your clumsy extender there are 4 per device!

I have no problem spending to get another extender but these work absolutely fine on another rig. Exactly the same extenders.

The open source "radeon" driver works wonders with these so there must be a problem that prevents the fglrx module from loading and that is why I get black screen and X server refusing to work and fglrx refusing to work as well.

Just tried it again right now. Fresh install of Debian Wheezy LXDE and ati 11.12 driver with just one 5870.

When I use it with the extender it fails and when I plug directly to the mobo it succeeds.

When I use 3 of these piled one on top of another it works  http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/zubehoer/Delock_PCIe_-_Extension_Riser_Card_x16_x16_89093.html Huh

By "it fails" I mean that the X server does not start and the DE is not shown. Not even num lock or CTRL-ALT-F1 works but if I SSH into the rig I cannot load any X program as it simply hangs there and does not load xeyes for example.

I will probably buy two of these ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flex-Ribbon-PCI-E-Extension-Cable-1x-16x-Slot-Extender-Riser-Card-Adapter-/110743662420?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19c8d62f54 ) if I confirm that it does the same on the P8P67 WS Revolution !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jjshabadoo (OP)

Activity: 535

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 11:49:16 PM

Sorry man, yes that is the exact board i am using ASUS P8P67 WS motherboard and i had the same exact issues you had. tried booting uefi and without, nothing. Then suddenly I would get into linuxcoin, set up, mine and then gpus all dead and then can't get back in. I re-loaded linuxcoin 15 times at least over past 24 hours. then i just said F it, i only have 5870's for that board, so i threw them all on the board without extenders and BAM, 100% stable since
jjshabadoo (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 12:17:07 AM

I just placed a scythe ultra kaze behind the cards and one kind of angled over the top and that beast has been cooking averaging 1.8 ghash at about 780 watts with kill-a-watt meter and that is without turning off any power saving features yet because it was 430am and i was just happy it was working after two days of wanting to sell all my shet on ebay...lol

The MSI 890FXA-GD70 seems to not mind extenders, but only a couple and I've noticed you usually need slot 1 populated directly and then you can screw around from there. For example, a rig of mine that has been rock solid for over a week.

MSI 890FXA-GD 70
AMD sempron 145
2gb ram
slot 1 actually a 5870 on powered extender but no molex connected to it
slot 2 5870 directly connected to pcix16 slot
slot 3 5970 on powered extender with no power to it
slot 4 empty
slot 5 5870 directly on the board

when I say slot I mean pci-e x16 only

turned off as much crap in bios as i can think of to save power and it does 1.8 to 2 GH/s at about 750 watts average.

settings in cgminer as follows in my startminers.sh script:

./cgminer –o http://us.eclipsemc.com:8337 –u username –p password –I 9,9,9,9,9
gpu-fan 85 gpu-engine 950,950,820,820,950 gpu-memclock 410

Thing just beasts along with good temps. TIM and thermal pads replaced on 5970, 5870's just stock from that ben's outlet sale. man i wish ai bought more of those, they have all been great out of the box except one has no fan control. I got 8 and they all do 950.

on the asus board with the 4 5870's all in the slots. I have them at 950/160 and they have been fine overnight worst card temp right now is 74c lowest at 62.5c
They are also in an old case lying flat with sides still on. I'd probably be doing better with temps once I get the gumption to just rip it out and put the mobo on a wooden board with motherboard plate underneath of course and just line up two kazes behind the cards.

I also need to mess with the memclocks on that cgminer script, but have just been happy its been stable for a week so I don't dare.

I keep saying we need more sticky's/threads with just pure specs and settings for folks.
Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:03:54 AM

Linuxcoin 0.2final seems to bring stability issues with some motherboards. I had similar problems with X server unable to boot, gpu undetected and being unable to use more than 2 cards (on a Biostar A870 who can take 4).

I've switched back to Linuxcoin 0.2b and all the problems disappeared. It booted normally, detecting all my 4 GPUs and it's mining right now.

bulanula

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:18:01 AM

Just waiting for the P8P67 WS Revolution to arrive. I will keep you posted.

I am just PRAYING it will work because I have too many mobos that do not work with extenders now Sad
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 02:59:04 PM

I have been told not to use extenders when i first started mining by many professional miners here.
They told me to avoid extenders coz, extenders wont work.
Then cableaurus opened shop & i had pm with him & he confirmed me that his extenders will work & also told me, that i don't need powered extenders if i don't use dual gpu 5970.
All the extenders i bought from cableaurus worked for me.
It seems as said by professional not all extenders work except cableaurus.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:05:03 PM

I have been told not to use extenders when i first started mining by many professional miners here.
They told me to avoid extenders coz, extenders wont work.
Then cableaurus opened shop & i had pm with him & he confirmed me that his extenders will work & also told me, that i don't need powered extenders if i don't use dual gpu 5970.
All the extenders i bought from cableaurus worked for me.
It seems as said by professional not all extenders work except cableaurus.
If this guy is not a professional, then I don't know what he is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7216.msg547120#msg547120
See all the extenders?  Maybe its the mobo, maybe its the cards, but you can't argue with 30 Ghash worth of cards all using extenders. They work, and when they don't something else is usually the cause.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:06:26 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2012, 07:20:24 PM by dishwara

As RJK mentioned; those are the worst, because of the design. Its 2 slots and 2 sockets.
Without extender, so plugging a card straight in to the motherboard, you have a single non-soldered socket. With a regular extender cable you have 2. With your clumsy extender there are 4 per device!

RJK as you mentioned there, the one mentioned has 4 connections.
If you look at closely the pics in link you posted , you can see extender cables similar to cablesaurus.

"It seems as said by professional not all extenders work except cableaurus."

extenders which is like the ones sold by cableaurus worked/works.

RJK Thanks for that link. Nice setup, amazing.
jjshabadoo (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:58:45 PM

I have all cablesaurus cables and still ran into issues as posted above. I have never bought from anyone else and also 4 have burned out on me in the pci slot but I believe that is related to trying to use two psu's or bad power fluctuations where the miners are. Even though I was told that two psu's should not be an issue, I would NEVER do that again. Even though Jimm64 has 30 GH/s of mostly 5970's, with extenders on MSI890FXA-GD70's with two psus and he says he is mostly rock solid. I copied that model and have been slaughtered so far.

EXTRA NOTE AND THIS DESERVES CAPS, CABLESAURUS WAS EXCELLENT AND EVEN SENT ME TWO NEW EXTENDERS AT NO COST AND WAS WILLING TO PROVIDE TECH CUPPORT TO HELP ME FIGURE OUT ANY ISSUES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Cablesaurus is a GREAT BTC vendor. If you're going to bother with extenders, then go nowhere else in my opinion.

BTW my solid rig with extenders actually just started to lose hashing power again and looks like it at least needs a restart, so i'll hold off on my assessment of getting ANY rig to be solid with extenders.

This site really needs its own hardware wiki for individual hardware parts and known rig combos that WORK and what stats to expect. Would be a huge resource for all of us. The current online hardware wiki is crap and out of date.

I'd also like to see the site create a section for detailed guides. I think they could charge a monthly rate for access to such things, sort of a VIP membership, paid for in BTC of course Wink
bulanula

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:17:17 PM

I have all cablesaurus cables and still ran into issues as posted above. I have never bought from anyone else and also 4 have burned out on me in the pci slot but I believe that is related to trying to use two psu's or bad power fluctuations where the miners are. Even though I was told that two psu's should not be an issue, I would NEVER do that again. Even though Jimm64 has 30 GH/s of mostly 5970's, with extenders on MSI890FXA-GD70's with two psus and he says he is mostly rock solid. I copied that model and have been slaughtered so far.

EXTRA NOTE AND THIS DESERVES CAPS, CABLESAURUS WAS EXCELLENT AND EVEN SENT ME TWO NEW EXTENDERS AT NO COST AND WAS WILLING TO PROVIDE TECH CUPPORT TO HELP ME FIGURE OUT ANY ISSUES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Cablesaurus is a GREAT BTC vendor. If you're going to bother with extenders, then go nowhere else in my opinion.

BTW my solid rig with extenders actually just started to lose hashing power again and looks like it at least needs a restart, so i'll hold off on my assessment of getting ANY rig to be solid with extenders.

This site really needs its own hardware wiki for individual hardware parts and known rig combos that WORK and what stats to expect. Would be a huge resource for all of us. The current online hardware wiki is crap and out of date.

I'd also like to see the site create a section for detailed guides. I think they could charge a monthly rate for access to such things, sort of a VIP membership, paid for in BTC of course Wink

Did you manage to fix the issues on the P8P67 WS ?
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 12:07:32 AM

Nothing against cablesaurus, but the extenders they sell are the exact same one's you can get on ebay... for a fair bit cheaper.

jjshabadoo (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 12:54:48 AM

No, I never solved the extender issue on the asus P8P67 WS. I have had four 5870's plugged directly into the four x16 slots at 950/160 hashing away without issue for over two days with an ultra kaze fan blowing through them from behind and one angled above to blow some air onto the top and in between the cards.  See my previous post for temps, wattage and hash rates on that rig.

After nearly two days of work I was just done with it and besides, I won't get any better OC with extenders. Better temps are highly likely of course, but downtime and exces troubleshooting are not worth it to me.

My main advice to you if you expect to try with extenders is to at least leave one card on the board in slot#1 and then maybe you'll get away with extenders for the other slots. If you have an open rig, you should still get great temps.

Also, the whole booting choice of uefi or normal didn't seem to matter except I never got it to boot with extenders under non uefi boot, but I DID get it to boot at least once or twice with uefi boot. This with 16gb flash drives and linuxcoin final. Maybe the prior version of linuxcoin would work better?

I just wish one of our resident linux programmers/experts would make a newer version of linuxcoin. BAMT looks great but is too limited. Especially since they won't support cgminer which is the miner of choice for most of us.

Can someone just create CgminerCoin? I wish I had the time to do some tutorials on linux and find the best distro and just create the ultimate linux mining software with detailed tutorials for various set-ups, multi-card, extenders, etc.

From what I can tell so far, the most serious miners are using a narrow range of cards and mobos. I don't think this distro would need to be tested on everything or be stable with every miner who has a rig doing 200 MH/s.

Give us a linux distro designed for 58xx series and 59xx series cards and maybe one for 68xx series and 69xx series cards for maybe the top 5 mobos.

the MSI 890FXA series
the ASUS P8P67 WS series
and maybe the big bang and a few other boards that have 4 or more x16 slots.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 07:43:27 AM

https://github.com/kanoi/linux-usb-cgminer/blob/master/linux-usb-cgminer

bulanula

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 11:31:46 AM

Nothing against cablesaurus, but the extenders they sell are the exact same one's you can get on ebay... for a fair bit cheaper.

Yes but doubt they accept BTC and / or provide support to set them up.

You get what you pay for, always remember.
P4man

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 02:09:14 PM

Yes but doubt they accept BTC and / or provide support to set them up.

You get what you pay for, always remember.

You can pay with BTC on amazon or even ebay by using spendbitcoins.com. As for support.. would be nice to have a helping hand holding up the cards, but beyond that, its plug and pray.

Anyway, like I said, I have nothing against cablesaurus, and by all means, order your stuff there if you want. But lets not pretend they sell magical cables that work better than any others.

dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:36:25 PM

bulanula You got any improvement?
can able to mine with extender cables on BB marshal?
bulanula

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:48:58 PM

No. I gave up on it.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 04:17:00 PM

No. I gave up on it.

too bad to give up
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: