Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:43:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: if you were the manipulator, what would you do?  (Read 6102 times)
mav (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 09:29:39 AM

If you were the manipulator, what would you do? How would you 'direct' the market and why?

Of course there is the option to 'fleece the dumb people' like we recently saw with extreme leveraging/bragging on bitcoinica.

But at some stage you have to also protect your own wealth and having it fluctuate like mad isn't in those interests.

And also there may be some desire to set a 'nice' growth rate, something consistent, sustainable, appealing to other potential investors.

Me personally, if I were the manipulator, I have no idea what I'd do. Probably make the market seem more stable than perhaps it really should be so it looks desirable for new money that may be lurking (which does sorta seem to be the theme since that large shakeup).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:58:50 AM

BUY BUY BUY! That's what i would do.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 10:02:33 AM

Very steep walls at the edges of the hourly bollinger bands.  Hold enough back so you can adjust when someone decides you're holding the market too stable.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:02:45 PM

Let the price "slowly" rise quite stable but ofcourse with some ups and downs.
This way bitcoin will gain in interest from the outside as a trustworthy investment attracting more investors and increasing the value of the investment.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
vbscarred

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:11:08 PM

The most sensible goal of manipulating the bitcoin market will always be to get your hands on as many bitcoins as possible, while not shutting the economy down entirely.

If it was possible to get the value of bitcoin as low as possible, several times, I would definitely use it to buy as many coins as I could, ending up with a couple of million coins. Then I sit on these coins for a couple of years, and sell them in a regular pace until I've acquired enough dollaz to buy a small island and retire.
caston

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 01:37:30 PM

I'd use my position to go back in time to early 2009 and mine BTC until I had about 500k coins while I slowly buy another 500k. I'd then sell about 4% of them slowly at the peak of between $22 and $32 using the money from that to put in low buy orders. When those buy orders get filled i'd withdraw half and use them to pay down credit cards that i'd then use to fund CFD accounts and make money taking out shorts/longs on banks.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
caston

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 01:45:35 PM

hey u are cheating OP dint say time manipulation is allowed

they didn't say it wasn't allowed either

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:27:22 PM

If I told you...  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:33:51 PM

Very steep walls at the edges of the hourly bollinger bands.  Hold enough back so you can adjust when someone decides you're holding the market too stable.

So it would be wrong of me to put up a 100k wall on each side, about $0.03 apart? Then leave them there indefinitely, where no one else could make any real profit?
I would be *the* exchanger!  Tongue

crash the market to get cheaper bitcoins several times

I think this would do more harm than good (not that mine is a great idea ^). People would lose confidence, and leave.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:54:01 PM

crash the market to get cheaper bitcoins several times

I think this would do more harm than good (not that mine is a great idea ^). People would lose confidence, and leave.

Obviously, eventually you run out of USD and are all in BTC, and if you timed it right, that happens at the last possible moment where the market can still go up, assuming no manipulation. Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:45:01 PM

So it would be wrong of me to put up a 100k wall on each side, about $0.03 apart? Then leave them there indefinitely, where no one else could make any real profit?
I would be *the* exchanger!  Tongue

Not wrong, just stupid as you would quickly find yourself on the wrong side of the trend.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:21:40 PM

heh, playing Bitcoinica as a manipulator could work well too...
or it could work very poorly Tongue

(BFL)^2 < 0
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:41:18 PM

If I told you...  Grin
I guess that at you many coins, but as it is known all "the vanity is a sin" If I was the manipulator - I would place from both parties huge walls in different price ranges, and would create a special "stabilising" bot which changes depth of the market depending on a tendency "opposition of a tendency"
But has, with possibility of manual intervention. "To set a direction" it will suppress less large "manipulators". But what to construct bid a wall - it is necessary to sell huge quantity of coins at first. As occurred in 2011г. I think. Well or to enter it is a lot of money. (Madness) Yes, of course, slow confident growth is a guarantee of a recognition of this currency the whole world.

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 05:44:03 PM

If I were the manipulator, i'd be running an exchange or three.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:44:40 PM

I would order another pina colada, and a pillow for my beachside chair...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 06:11:58 PM

I would continue playing Worlds of Warcraft in my mom's basement.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 06:35:22 PM

I would order another pina colada, and a pillow for my beachside chair...

This...I was going to say 'cash out and drink on a beach in Panama'...
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 11:55:04 PM

If I was the Manipulator I would bring the market down to $3 for a month just to say "fuck you" to the bulls.

I would then slowly buy back Bitcoins, slowly enough not to increase the price too high and get a bargain on the average price. I would do this by placing small limit orders.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:00:35 PM

If I were the manipulator I would go to wikileaks with as many memos from my bosses to expose the banker's plot to destroy Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 08:03:16 PM

my theory about manipulators is that 80% of them fail at manipulating

like everything else in life
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: