Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:53:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Control Without Satoshi Client?  (Read 2274 times)
Injust (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:10:33 AM

Hiya,

I've been using the Satoshi client for a long time now, and since my internet speed and CPUs are horribly slow, well blockchain synchronization takes forever. However, I very much like the coin control feature in the client.

Is there any alternative client where I don't have to download the entire blockchain but there is still coin control features?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 01:22:20 PM

You can do it using gocoin, in node-less mode. You just need to build fetchbal tool and the wallet

Fetch the balance of your address(es) from a block explorer - e.g.:
Code:
fetchbal 1HZAQy4sq5JHtkbeEpHNB5NooqpskpNYzB 1GysXMDoDDkgrJcAK92SdEohbHvabu1PTX 1MvkVTM8eJ7FKMZnLLHA9FYUhwdPHE2rNt

Now you can edit the file balance/unspent.txt and leave there only the inputs you want to spend.

Then use wallet tool with the balance folder to make & sign a transaction. Obviously first you will need to arm the wallet with proper private keys (better do it on an offline machine).

And then just broadcast the signed transaction file (e.g. using this page: https://blockchain.info/pushtx)

Let me know if you had any questions.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:09:25 PM

You can do it using gocoin, in node-less mode. You just need to build fetchbal tool and the wallet

Fetch the balance of your address(es) from a block explorer - e.g.:
Code:
fetchbal 1HZAQy4sq5JHtkbeEpHNB5NooqpskpNYzB 1GysXMDoDDkgrJcAK92SdEohbHvabu1PTX 1MvkVTM8eJ7FKMZnLLHA9FYUhwdPHE2rNt

Now you can edit the file balance/unspent.txt and leave there only the inputs you want to spend.

Then use wallet tool with the balance folder to make & sign a transaction. Obviously first you will need to arm the wallet with proper private keys (better do it on an offline machine).

And then just broadcast the signed transaction file (e.g. using this page: https://blockchain.info/pushtx)

Let me know if you had any questions.

Thanks for the input. I was actually looking for something more like the GUI in the Satoshi client, which would be more user-friendly for me Smiley
Going the manual selection of inputs method though, I think that brainwallet.org looks interesting.
But if anybody knows of a client that has a GUI for Coin Control but doesn't download the blockchain, please let me know.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 03:22:43 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2014, 11:29:10 PM by piotr_n

I see what you mean. You would need the whole client node to have a kind of GUI selection, via its web interface. That's how I do it.

Creating a GUI wrapper (like in Java, C# or even PHP), that would call fetchbal and then allow to edit the unspent.txt file in a more user-friendly way, perhaps even run the wallet at the end - that should not be much of a challenge. But nobody has created it, fwik

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:05:11 AM

I wonder about the easiest way to implement this. Do you use electrum by any chance? That would really simplify how you learn about transactions.

So - Query an API for tx's to addresses in your wallet, list all unspent inputs, give you a checkbox to select which inputs you want to spend, and then create a raw transaction suitable for electrum, and then broadcast?

Bitwasp Developer.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 08:15:46 AM

I would not know about Electrum, but if someone would like to make a coin-control GUI wrapper for Gocoin wallet, that is easy to implement:

1) Run tools/fetchbal to fetch unspent outputs of your wallet

2) Edit balance/unspent.txt file and leave there only the coins you are going to spend

3) Run "wallet -fee 0.001 -send addr=amount -change change_addr" to crate & sign a transaction. You can add "-useallinputs" switch, if you want to force including all the inputs (otherwise it will only use as many as you need for the amount).

4) Broadcast the raw transaction file, e.g. using this page: https://blockchain.info/pushtx

You don't need Electrum nowhere in the process.

fbueller

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:50:17 AM

Piotr_n: you posted that already in this thread. Why are you telling me again?

Bitwasp Developer.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 11:54:37 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 12:11:57 PM by piotr_n

Sorry - misunderstanding.

I wasn't sure what you meant asking what would be the easiest way to implement "this", nor who you were even talking to.
You posted it right after the post where I mentioned "Creating a GUI wrapper", so I though that "this" could be referring to implementing the GUI wrapper.

And what was your "this" actually referring to, BTW?

fbueller

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:30:47 PM

I wasn't sure what you meant asking what would be the easiest way to implement "this", nor who you were even talking to.
You posted it right after the post where I mentioned "Creating a GUI wrapper", so I though that "this" could be referring to implementing the GUI wrapper.

Ah ok. I was responding to the OP, asking if he used electrum since he didn't say what he used. I didn't understand why you were telling me about gocoin since I saw your post, but, I guess if you thought I was responding to yours that'd explain the confusion.

This - being one possible solution for the OP. Something to get his UXTOs and let him choose what he spends.

Bitwasp Developer.
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:04:57 PM

Ah ok. I was responding to the OP, asking if he used electrum since he didn't say what he used. I didn't understand why you were telling me about gocoin since I saw your post, but, I guess if you thought I was responding to yours that'd explain the confusion.

This - being one possible solution for the OP. Something to get his UXTOs and let him choose what he spends.

For me, I currently use Bitcoin Core with blockchain.info for email alerts, so I don't have to constantly be syncing my blockchain.
I'm perfectly fine with switching to Electrum if it could do what I want, or any other client as a matter of fact.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:00:08 AM

Hiya,

I've been using the Satoshi client for a long time now, and since my internet speed and CPUs are horribly slow, well blockchain synchronization takes forever. However, I very much like the coin control feature in the client.

Is there any alternative client where I don't have to download the entire blockchain but there is still coin control features?

Thanks.

The only other wallet service that I am aware of that allows you to control your coins at the level that Bitcoin-QT does is blockchain.info's wallet. You can us custom send to specify which addresses to use for inputs, the change address and the miners fee (custom send)
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:05:38 AM

Hiya,

Thanks.

The only other wallet service that I am aware of that allows you to control your coins at the level that Bitcoin-QT does is blockchain.info's wallet. You can us custom send to specify which addresses to use for inputs, the change address and the miners fee (custom send)

Yes, I am well aware of that possibility. However, I was looking for something similar to the level of control as Bitcoin Core, where you can control the individual inputs. Per-address input selection is just not fine enough for me.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:49:03 PM

Hiya,

Thanks.

Yes, I am well aware of that possibility. However, I was looking for something similar to the level of control as Bitcoin Core, where you can control the individual inputs. Per-address input selection is just not fine enough for me.

I believe there is an option on the blockchain.info website that allows you to push a signed TX to the network without a client. If you were to create and sign a TX with your individual inputs that you want to spend then you could use blockexplorer to keep track of your spent and unspent inputs.
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:58:43 PM

Electrum 2.0 will have coin control in it.

If you are a developer and can compile the source yourself, the current git head has coin control added.

You must right click an address with a balance and click "send from" (this can be while selecting multiple addresses.) and then in the send tab, each output will be a separate line, you can select and right click > "remove" to remove the outputs you don't want to send.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:59:42 PM

Hiya,

Thanks.

I believe there is an option on the blockchain.info website that allows you to push a signed TX to the network without a client. If you were to create and sign a TX with your individual inputs that you want to spend then you could use blockexplorer to keep track of your spent and unspent inputs.

I've been using raw TXs to do my transactions for the past while, but it got a tad complicated with so many inputs.
I think I'll go away from that path for now because the last time I tried, I sent my output as the fee. #whoops
I know of a site (brainwallet.org) that has a slightly less complicated GUI for creating raw TXs, but AFAIK, you can't use inputs from multiple addresses on there, which I nearly always do.
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:14:26 PM

If you are a developer and can compile the source yourself, the current git head has coin control added.

You must right click an address with a balance and click "send from" (this can be while selecting multiple addresses.) and then in the send tab, each output will be a separate line, you can select and right click > "remove" to remove the outputs you don't want to send.

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll probably wait for Electrum 2.0 to be released, because I don't fancy compiling stuff.

Thanks!
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:18:07 PM

Isn't the current git head just version 1.9.8? Because I'm reading through the release notes and it says that 1.9.8 contains features initially planned for version 2.0.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:04:54 AM

Hiya,

Thanks.

I've been using raw TXs to do my transactions for the past while, but it got a tad complicated with so many inputs.
I think I'll go away from that path for now because the last time I tried, I sent my output as the fee. #whoops
I know of a site (brainwallet.org) that has a slightly less complicated GUI for creating raw TXs, but AFAIK, you can't use inputs from multiple addresses on there, which I nearly always do.

My question is, why do you wish to have that much control over your inputs? Any program that gives you this control will have the possibility of making that mistake. With a wallet like multibit this would never happen. Even if you used blockchain.info's custom send, you would have control over where the coins come from.
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 09:48:55 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2014, 10:40:45 AM by dabura667

Isn't the current git head just version 1.9.8? Because I'm reading through the release notes and it says that 1.9.8 contains features initially planned for version 2.0.

The commit is https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/commit/e699ab6660ba91ccf194bed9d9aa4aa1ed913fb8

This commit is not in the 1.9.8 release. The 1.9.8 release is only up to this commit: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/commit/f92b483942d3f8ee51506e0436d9b524db33a336

So if you are up to date on the git HEAD, you can access this functionality. Not to mention currently 2 of 3 and 2 of 2 BIP32 wallets are implemented.

If you would like to cherry-pick the coin control commit, it doesn't look dependent on any other recent commits, and only modifies the "send from" function to split up into outputs.

How to use git cherry-pick
http://git-scm.com/docs/git-cherry-pick

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Injust (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:36:39 PM

Hiya,

Thanks.

My question is, why do you wish to have that much control over your inputs? Any program that gives you this control will have the possibility of making that mistake. With a wallet like multibit this would never happen. Even if you used blockchain.info's custom send, you would have control over where the coins come from.

I get small transactions to my Bitcoin addresses pretty regularly and I like the control over my inputs because it lets me consolidate them easily.
Pretty stupid reason, but oh well.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: