Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:27:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taint Analysis Tools  (Read 2222 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:11:13 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 04:21:18 AM by OROBTC

I have tried both bitmixer.io and sharedcoin.com servcies for mixing BTC, they both worked just fine, I have run them four times each.  One thing I was curious to do (and then look at taint) was to run some BTC through one service, and then use the other service on the "return trip".  That is:

1) I sent BTC from MultiBit via bitmixer to my blockchain.info wallet and then

2) Sent about the same amount of BTC back to MultiBit (a new wallet) via sharedcoin.

Once back to MultiBit, I wanted to run blockchain.info's "Taint Analysis" on these wallets.  But, I have been having trouble for over 24 hours now with getting "timed out" by blockchain.info ("Error 524")...  Over and over, with wallets at blockchain.info as well as MB wallets, same results, time out errors from blockchain.info.  A few days ago I did it with no problem.

-- Is anyone else having trouble with blockchain.info's Taint Analysis service?  

-- Are there other simple taint analysis tools that we can run?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Just got one of the MultiBit wallets to show up on blockchain.info's service.  The maximum taint was 11.67%, four other wallets showed taint of a bit over 11%.  Various other wallets came in with 1% - 3%, and LOTS came in under 1%.  Keep in mind that this wallet has just ONE transaction (incoming) and the BTC run through both bitmixer and sharedcoin.

Comments very welcome!
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:58:00 AM

What do you mean by "taint"?
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:26:25 AM

"Taint", in layman's terms (all that I can understand), refers to how traceable your "new BTC" (after run through the mixing service) are back to older wallets.

The lower the taint, the better a job the mixing service does to obscure where you got your BTC.  Here is a screen shot of blockchain.info's taint analysis (edited for privacy):

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

One way that someone could track your coins is by looking at transfers on the blockchain.

If someone were to know that TX1 was a transfer to a mixing service then they would look for a TX of a similar size that took place shortly after TX1 took place.
murasha

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

Developer

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:29:01 AM

So does anyone know anything about other taint analysis tools except blockchain.info?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: