Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:06:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First steps to take with bitcoin  (Read 704 times)
markmnc1 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:38:33 AM

Hi all, Im new here.  I found out about bitcoin a year or so ago and recently have been bored (as well as frustrated looking for a better job) and started really looking into bitcoin.  Im sure this has been posted 1,000 times at least but could you all explain to me the first few steps and choices for bitcoin?

The first step, from what I understand, is getting an address.  Is that correct?  How would I go about getting one and whats some choices out there?  Also, is the next step getting a wallet?  What are some choices of those as well?  Side question too-is an account an address or a wallet? 

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

To get an address either find a client and use that (they will generate a private key and corresponding address) or use software like vanitygen (more complicated for new users). A wallet is simply 'list' of private keys nothing more. If you want to look into a Bitcoin client that doesn't need you to download the whole client I would suggest Electrum.

Here would be a good place to start - https://www.weusecoins.com/en/getting-started

If you need any more help feel free to ask here.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:01:39 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 07:14:41 PM by Wusolini

Hi all, Im new here.  I found out about bitcoin a year or so ago and recently have been bored (as well as frustrated looking for a better job) and started really looking into bitcoin.  Im sure this has been posted 1,000 times at least but could you all explain to me the first few steps and choices for bitcoin?

The first step, from what I understand, is getting an address.  Is that correct?  How would I go about getting one and whats some choices out there?  Also, is the next step getting a wallet?  What are some choices of those as well?  Side question too-is an account an address or a wallet?  

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Hi

To be precise, you need a wallet with an address.
A wallet is set of addresses.
It's recommended to generate new address for each transaction so in few months can have hundreds of them).

so wallet is the very start.

I can advise you to try multibit, because its simple and fast(no blockchain download), or some online wallet, like coinbase blockchain etc.  otherwise you'll be waiting two days to dl blockchain and wallet became active.
If time is no matter , check Armory, I like the design or just oficial client bitcoin-qt.

- always encrypt your wallet
 - don't worry about wallet choice, you most wallets supports export import

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:08:49 PM

Just know the difference between what type of wallet it would be.

A perfect example are wallet address such as localbitcoins.com or other exchange sites, do not leave a big balance on there.

There are times when you hear most exchanges go in the dark, and it isnt just Mt.Gox which most know.

Its for any new exchanges that pop up and the existing ones are already there.

For newbie starting out, after checking the link provided to you https://www.weusecoins.com/en/getting-started.

You also need to be wary of backing up a balance and other basics that most people fail to mention.

Such as knowing what a wallet.dat file is and what to do with it. But before anything, just check out the ones mentioned like blockchain.info or bitcoin qt, etc.

(desktop wallets, online wallets, exchange wallets)
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

Hi all, Im new here.  I found out about bitcoin a year or so ago and recently have been bored (as well as frustrated looking for a better job) and started really looking into bitcoin.  Im sure this has been posted 1,000 times at least but could you all explain to me the first few steps and choices for bitcoin?

The first step, from what I understand, is getting an address.  Is that correct?  How would I go about getting one and whats some choices out there?  Also, is the next step getting a wallet?  What are some choices of those as well?  Side question too-is an account an address or a wallet? 

Thanks for the help.

Mark

First, you need to pick a wallet.
Some have more features (eg. Armory), some are easier to use (eg. Electrum), some are more safe (eg. paper wallet).
You need to understand how to protect your wallet then (eg. use strong passwords, enable 2FA for web wallets, make backups).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

I suggest reading first. The most important reading you can do is the work of Satoshi. See the link in my signature below? That is the white paper and the subject of all you see here. Read it for yourself.

Some other things you might want to consider:

Don't try buying with PayPal or buy below market price. If it seems to good to be true... You know.
Don't make or ask for loans.
Don't get sidetracked by alt-coins or shares, securities, or any kind of schemes. Normally these turn out to be scams or very ill-conceived ideas.
Don't ever trade on "news". Many FUD and pump/dump operations are about getting you to panic buy or sell. Do your own homework and trust no one but yourself. 

Some of the things above can be legit, but until you thoroughly understand the protocol you are on thin ice doing any of them. Just get an account at an exchange in your country, fund it with a USPS money order, buy your coins and immediately transfer them to private keys under your exclusive control. Until that is done you really don't have bitcoins. Lastly, back up your wallet.dat file and put it somewhere safe. Loose your wallet and your coins are hopelessly lost.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: