Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:15:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fate of those who challenge world's reserve currency!  (Read 1710 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:19:10 PM

The Worlds reserve currency as we know is the United States Dollar..

Before 4 years there was a story that Libya's General Gadhafi had planned to switch to Gold backed dinars for oil business instead of USD which was welcomed among many arab countries, That move had devastating effect on US dollar as a world reserve currency...Then the Arab spring happened and we  watched how Ghadafi was killed like a street dog..

That story is really terrorizing when one begins to think from the point of view of fate of those who challenge worlds reserve currency.

But bitcoin has a potential to do exactly that...Imagine what will happen if bitcoin is used as the reserve currency of transaction for oil and gas.

What will happen?
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:30:46 PM

Before 4 years there was a story that Libya's General Gadhafi had planned to switch to Gold backed dinars for oil business instead of USD which was welcomed among many arab countries, That move had devastating effect on US dollar as a world reserve currency...Then the Arab spring happened and we  watched how Ghadafi was killed like a street dog..

That story is really terrorizing when one begins to think from the point of view of fate of those who challenge worlds reserve currency.

But bitcoin has a potential to do exactly that...Imagine what will happen if bitcoin is used as the reserve currency of transaction for oil and gas.

What will happen?

Saddam Hussein wanted to sell oil for Euro at one point as well. That turned out well for him.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:35:52 PM

What will happen?

Neither Bitcoin nor any other crypto currency has such potential.

What they do have is the possiblity of offering an essentially underground currency traded between users.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:38:39 PM

You have to obtain nukes and a long range delivery system before you challenge the petrodollar. The cowards that direct US forces avoid legitimate threats.
MrWDunne

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:53:21 PM

What will happen?

What they do have is the possiblity of offering an essentially underground currency traded between users.

The possibilities are far larger than that.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:00:54 PM

What will happen?

Agreed but as a replacement for any national currency, no; not a chance.

Corporations For Crypto
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:49:37 PM

You have to obtain nukes and a long range delivery system before you challenge the petrodollar. The cowards that direct US forces avoid legitimate threats.
If the dollar becomes relatively worthless - which it will, soonish - WE don't need to challenge anything. The reserve currency of the world will change itself, just like copyright holders changed their behavior  (because they were FORCED to) in the post-torrent era.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:52:05 PM

If the dollar becomes relatively worthless - which it will, soonish - WE don't need to challenge anything. The reserve currency of the world will change itself, just like copyright holders changed their behavior  (because they were FORCED to) in the post-torrent era.

Uh, sorry to tell you that I am the owner of a substantial body of intellectual property subject to copyright and I haven't changed my behaviour one little bit!

Steal my shit and I sue you ass and WIN!

Your pronostication of the failure of the USD is tinfoil hat stuff.

Corporations For Crypto
solarion

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:04:42 PM

If the dollar becomes relatively worthless - which it will, soonish - WE don't need to challenge anything.

Can you define "soonish"? These things tend to drag on far longer than people envision.

The USD is already relatively worthless in historical commodity terms, but it's most oft compared to other fiat currencies which are likewise being continuously devalued.
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:47:20 PM

Bitcoin makes the USD irrelevant.  Take that, Fed.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 10:48:04 PM

You are dreaming.

Corporations For Crypto
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:49:53 PM

If the dollar becomes relatively worthless - which it will, soonish - WE don't need to challenge anything.

Can you define "soonish"? These things tend to drag on far longer than people envision.

The USD is already relatively worthless in historical commodity terms, but it's most oft compared to other fiat currencies which are likewise being continuously devalued.

The politicians and fed will prop it up as long as they can which will only make it worse when it happens. Ordinary people always get left holding the proverbial bag with these things. 

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:51:50 PM

You are dreaming.

So enlighten us, why are you here? You are negative any anything bit coin related and never post more than a one liner. Care to expand on your thoughts other than "you are dreaming or "no way"?

jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:59:23 PM

You are dreaming.

A man can dream, brotha!
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:01:02 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 11:12:51 PM by LostDutchman

Bitcoin makes the USD irrelevant.  Take that, Fed.

You are dreaming.

So enlighten us, why are you here? You are negative any anything bit coin related and never post more than a one liner. Care to expand on your thoughts other than "you are dreaming or "no way"?

Oh, how you do misunderstand and I suspect that the misunderstanding is based on lack of knowledge, purely and simply!

I am heavily involved in the cryptocurrency movement but I, unlike you, recognise crypto for what it is; an ALTERNATIVE peer-to-peer method of wealth transfer and retention.

Bitcoin was never, ever; not now, now ever intended to replace fiat.

If you doubt me, try reading the original Bitcoin absrtact, which may be found here:

https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Go get some education and get back to me, mkay?

Corporations For Crypto
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:02:11 PM

You are dreaming.

A man can dream, brotha!

Dream on, brotha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRNSeuvzlM

Corporations For Crypto
E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:19:02 PM

Uh, sorry to tell you that I am the owner of a substantial body of intellectual property subject to copyright and I haven't changed my behaviour one little bit!

I hope it's not Dream on by Aerosmith because I just downloaded that sht from youtube and now I'm selling Aerosmith DVD's to kids on the block. Shocked

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:20:07 PM

I hope it's not Dream on by Aerosmith because I just downloaded that sht from youtube and now I'm selling Aerosmith DVD's to kids on the block. Shocked

What can I say?

Even music pirates have to make a living!

Corporations For Crypto
E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:22:35 PM

What will happen?

Agreed but as a replacement for any national currency, no; not a chance.

Doesn't have to be. Gold could be used as national currency when it comes to dealing with other nations. And from government TO people: Bitcoin: From people TO government: Bitcoin. People to people: Bitcoin.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:31:01 PM

it's kind of shocking how, through the use of our media, our government and the rich people in bed with them, are able to invade other countries.. and sell it off to us as "freedom bringers." it's more subtle than propaganda, and goes right under our nose.

we go into poor countries, buy out their government and extract all their resources without helping the indigenous people in any way. in many cases, they turn out to be terrorists - and then we hunt them down, naming them through and through "bad guys."
solarion

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:33:44 PM

it's kind of shocking how, through the use of our media, our government and the rich people in bed with them, are able to invade other countries.. and sell it off to us as "freedom bringers." it's more subtle than propaganda, and goes right under our nose.

we go into poor countries, buy out their government and extract all their resources without helping the indigenous people in any way. in many cases, they turn out to be terrorists - and then we hunt them down, naming them through and through "bad guys."

The force is strong with this one.

Those nations without central banks *MUST* be brought to justice.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:08:41 AM

The force is strong with this one.

Those nations without central banks *MUST* be brought to justice.

OK.

Get busy!

Corporations For Crypto
cryptopaths

Activity: 616

Crypto Knight

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:16:46 AM

The Decentralized Union has big plans on this very topic, central banks should think twice about bitcoin/cryptos.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:34:49 AM

What will happen?

what would happen if someone were trying to decentralize the entire financial system?

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:50:01 AM

What will happen?

what would happen if someone were trying to decentralize the entire financial system?

-bm

Uh, they would fall flat on their asses.

Corporations For Crypto
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:55:10 AM

What will happen?

-bm

looks like someone found a retirement pastime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX5K8mRI6vI

Smiley

-bm

cuddaloreappu (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:32:53 AM

What will happen?

-bm

okay forget about implications for a moment...Do you favour or not favor cryptos replacing as a reserve currency and decentralization of financial system?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:35:39 AM

If you doubt me, try reading the original Bitcoin absrtact, which may be found here:

Are we reading the same paper?

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as
trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for
most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the trust based model.

Last time I checked, Internet was a pretty big place.  If Bitcoin is used as the go-to currency
in e-commerce, it will displace fiat in a major way.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:37:44 AM

What will happen?

-bm

okay forget about implications for a moment...Do you favour or not favor cryptos replacing as a reserve currency and decentralization of financial system?

Hell, no!

Defeats the entire purpose of the thing!

READ THE ORIGINAL ABSTRACT!

Corporations For Crypto
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:39:21 AM

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as
trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for
most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the trust based model.

Last time I checked, Internet was a pretty big place.  If Bitcoin is used as the go-to currency

Horseshit.

Legal implications, tax issues and governmental attacks and regulation preclude that.

Bitcoin was never intended to replace fiat.

Corporations For Crypto
cuddaloreappu (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:50:08 AM

Horseshit.

Legal implications, tax issues and governmental attacks and regulation preclude that.

//Alice: tell me why i can't do that
bob: because its above your pay grade alice..
alice: then go ahead and raise my pay grade, so i can do that//

Similarly...

Us: bitcoin will replace fiat on the long run
you: no it wont, there are taxes,legislations,etc etc.......
us: then go ahead and change those rules of the society,  new system, new form of taxation so bitcoin could replace all fiat....

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:50:38 AM

Horseshit.

Believe whatever you want.

Here's another quote from Satoshi.

The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust. Banks must be trusted to hold our money and transfer it electronically, but they lend it out in waves of credit bubbles with barely a fraction in reserve. We have to trust them with our privacy, trust them not to let identity thieves drain our accounts. Their massive overhead costs make micropayments impossible.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:51:06 AM

Horseshit.

//Alice: tell me why i can't do that
bob: because its above your pay grade alice..
alice: then go ahead and raise my pay grade, so i can do that//

Similarly...

Us: bitcoin will replace fiat on the long run
you: no it wont, there are taxes,legislations,etc etc.......
us: then go ahead and change those rules of the society,  new system, new form of taxation so bitcoin could replace all fiat....

Good luck.

Corporations For Crypto
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:57:05 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2014, 02:09:27 AM by Beliathon

I was talking about software specifically. If you have software folks actually want, believe me it is being pirated. Microsoft Windows gets pirated.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're a nobody with insignificant copyright holdings. I'm talking about the whales, the Big Corporates who were sending stormtroopers into people's homes for piracy.

That behavior has ceased. And they're adapting their business models too, as can be seen in the fall of Blockbuster and rise of Netflix. This is not debatable, this is all historical fact.

You're just not seeing the same trends I am. You're definitely missing some MAJOR trends if you think the dollar is going to survive the next two decades.

Must watch video: Dead Dollar Walking
Second must watch video: Wealth inequality in America: Perception vs. Reality
Third must watch video: Bitcoin vs Political Power
Fourth must watch video: The Biggest scam in History

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:07:50 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're a nobody with insignificant copyright holdings. I'm talking about the whales, the Big Corporates who were sending stormtroopers into people's homes for piracy.

That behavior has ceased. And they're adapting their business models too, as can be seen in the fall of Blockbuster and rise of Netflix. This is not debatable, this is all historical fact.

You're just not seeing the same trends I am. You're definitely missing some MAJOR trends if you think the dollar is going to survive the next two decades.

Must watch video: Dead Dollar Walking
Second must watch video: Wealth inequality in America: Perception vs. Reality
Third must watch video: Bitcoin vs Political Power
Fourth must watch video: The Biggest scam in History

Not missing a thing.

When I sue for copyright infringement the nice Sheriff's officers serve the subpoenas for me as part of the legal process.

They kinda look like storm troopers though, I guess.

A wildly fluctuating cryptocurrency cannot replace so much as a thin drachma for use as a "real" currency.

The dollar will be just fine, thank you.

Corporations For Crypto
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:10:41 AM

A wildly fluctuating cryptocurrency cannot replace so much as a thin drachma for use as a "real" currency.
See the above graph. "wildly fluctuating but up year over year", is vastly superior to "slowly but surely eroding into nothing", as you will see in the coming years.

Who do you sue for a torrent on the internet? You can't sue a decentralized enemy. Nor can you send Thugs With Guns at them. If you could, Bitcoin would already be destroyed, stolen, owned.

Fiat currency, like software copyright lawsuits and copyright law itself, will become more and more a farcical affair as we move further and further into the information age.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:16:54 AM

Beliathon:  this is why SaaS is one of the hottest areas right now for VC.

Dutchman, i'm curious:  

in what way do you think fiat is superior to cryptocurrency?

bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:22:54 AM

Lost Dutchman is similar to the sort of person who said in the 1800s that cities cannot get any bigger because there is no way to manage all the horse crap.

he's just bored and wants attention.

-bm

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:26:37 AM

Fiat currency, like software copyright lawsuits and copyright law itself, will become more and more a farcical affair as we move further and further into the information age.
Not to derail the topic but don't you mean software patents? Copyrighting software is pretty useless because it would be very difficult to enforce - e.g. the copier could just change variable names in the code and the copyright would be unenforceable.

As a holder of several software patents, some of which I've assigned and some of which I still own, I have mixed feelings about the whole patent situation. Owning an earlier issued patent certainly saved my bacon when somebody else tried to sue me for infringement of a somewhat similar patent that they owned.
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:27:08 AM

The dollar will be just fine, thank you.

NXT will eventually have credit and options instruments which give it all the basics required to have a 'real' currency p2p.  We can even have p2p gold reserves(linked the HOWTO already).  You will be able to construct complex debt relationships inside the block chain, as well as hedge on volatility using options.  see: http://altchain.org for a rough description(whitepapers in the upper left).

My personal belief is that the PoW systems will not last because they are basically obsolesced by newer models.

you don't appear to understand what you're talking about.

-bm

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:28:24 AM

Copyright is not property.

Everyone has the right to participate in the cultural life of the community. All works build on what came before.
Quote from: The Universal Declaration of Human rights
Article 27
(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author
- http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a27

Copyright law from the Statute of Anne appears to be a simplification of "moral rights" such as attribution and control over publication. Now that Copyright terms border on perpetual, Copyright law has lost it's way. Torrenting works subject to Copyright is essentially civil disobedience these days.

Obviously, maintaining Bitcoin nodes can be considered civil disobedience against the financial system: whether Bitcoin replaces FIAT for most online transactions or not.

Edit: Software Patents make me question why the patent system even exists.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:28:35 AM

Not to derail the topic but don't you mean software patents?  Copyrighting software is pretty useless because it would be very difficult to enforce - e.g. the copier could just change variable names in the code and the copyright would be unenforceable.

As a holder of several software patents, some of which I've assigned and some of which I still own, I have mixed feelings about the whole patent situation. Owning an earlier issued patent certainly saved my bacon when somebody else tried to sue me for infringement of a somewhat similar patent that they owned.

No, I think that was his point exactly.  (bolded above)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: