Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:52:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fate of those who challenge world's reserve currency!  (Read 1710 times)
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:28:24 AM

Uh, sorry to tell you that I am the owner of a substantial body of intellectual property subject to copyright and I haven't changed my behaviour one little bit!

Steal my shit and I sue you ass and WIN!

Copyright is not property.

Everyone has the right to participate in the cultural life of the community. All works build on what came before.
Quote from: The Universal Declaration of Human rights
Article 27
(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author
- http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a27

Copyright law from the Statute of Anne appears to be a simplification of "moral rights" such as attribution and control over publication. Now that Copyright terms border on perpetual, Copyright law has lost it's way. Torrenting works subject to Copyright is essentially civil disobedience these days.

Obviously, maintaining Bitcoin nodes can be considered civil disobedience against the financial system: whether Bitcoin replaces FIAT for most online transactions or not.

Edit: Software Patents make me question why the patent system even exists.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:28:35 AM

Fiat currency, like software copyright lawsuits and copyright law itself, will become more and more a farcical affair as we move further and further into the information age.
Not to derail the topic but don't you mean software patents?  Copyrighting software is pretty useless because it would be very difficult to enforce - e.g. the copier could just change variable names in the code and the copyright would be unenforceable.

As a holder of several software patents, some of which I've assigned and some of which I still own, I have mixed feelings about the whole patent situation. Owning an earlier issued patent certainly saved my bacon when somebody else tried to sue me for infringement of a somewhat similar patent that they owned.

No, I think that was his point exactly.  (bolded above)

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: