Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:16:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Society thoughts on cyberbullying, what do you think?  (Read 3289 times)
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:24:17 PM

Too much pussification on this earth. You can't run around complaining of how your government runs your life for you when you get all teary eyed over someone tapping away on their keyboard. Grow up and deal with life.
C'mon, you've never gotten the least bit offended by repeated personal attacks from trolls yourself, or even just general trolling at other boards? What if they followed you around to other websites after you left one, trolled your facebook and business webpages, harassed your friends / family / clients, etc?

I have no Facebook page, nor any other social media page. My life is not that empty, lonely and sad that I feel the need to tell everyone every time I take a shit or make a meal.

You missed the point and didn't answer all of my questions.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:27:18 PM

I think that the online world should stay as free as possible, so as much as I dislike that people can be as arrogant and mean online as they want without ramifications, I still would side with the argument that the term cyber bullying is just another building block towards censorship. I do realize that words are powerful, even online, but I think it should be the parents' responsibility to raise people who are secure enough to just walk away or close the window or even block people, as I think it's just highly impractical to keep telling everyone to "stop being mean online".
What do you guys think? Should cyberbullying be considered as legitimate even though you can just easily close the browser when someone is being mean, or is there just something to the other side of the argument that people are missing?
I believe cyberbullying is a real thing and that it exists but it really shouldn't. I believe the people that let it affect them aren't really smart or intelligent. I mean how hard is it to just close a page, or just ignore words on a screen. All this happens online and not in reality. In reality it's hard to ignore because it's real people saying real words aloud in front of other people, but when you're online, you're really just alone in your room by yourself with no one actually there.

zolace (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:27:30 PM

Too much pussification on this earth. You can't run around complaining of how your government runs your life for you when you get all teary eyed over someone tapping away on their keyboard. Grow up and deal with life.
C'mon, you've never gotten the least bit offended by repeated personal attacks from trolls yourself, or even just general trolling at other boards? What if they followed you around to other websites after you left one, trolled your facebook and business webpages, harassed your friends / family / clients, etc?
I've never had repeated attacks towards myself, I'm maybe not too interesting as nobody's following me around the web, nobody on the web knows my family or friends.....did I answer them all?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:44:46 PM

I've never had repeated attacks towards myself, I'm maybe not too interesting as nobody's following me around the web, nobody on the web knows my family or friends.....did I answer them all?
Well, the point is that probably no one with anything to lose would be so unconcerned or tough or macho if / when trolls moved beyond just repeatedly trolling them 20 hours a day on one website, and went on to following them to other sites (happened to myself and others), and even screwing with them, their friends, family, clients / business, etc (happened to others I know of) in real life.
As one guy on another site put it "Let's see how tough you are when they (a former nuthouse patient) find your 12 year old daughter's facebook page".

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:48:23 PM

It's not just children who get bullied, everyone can be the target of bullying. People have been driven into suicide from the psycho terror they experienced online. It's not just a simple case of turning your computer off and saying it's all gone now. I think it goes far beyond just being "mean". The internet is an enormously powerful tool and should never be underestimated. I think all criminal acts on the internet should be followed up and investigated. There should also be a decent support structure for the victims.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:11:59 PM

Cyber bullying needs to be controlled because victims are people who take everything seriously and are personally wounded by it.
I think we need more education about cyber bullying, in schools, colleges and for parents of children of that age. Parents are often unaware that it's happening and need to know the signs to look for. Children and teens need to be taught how to deal with it, by reporting it immediately and stop using the site or the forum where it is happening.

sana8410

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:14:24 PM

Cyber bullying needs to be controlled because victims are people who take everything seriously and are personally wounded by it.
I think we need more education about cyber bullying, in schools, colleges and for parents of children of that age. Parents are often unaware that it's happening and need to know the signs to look for. Children and teens need to be taught how to deal with it, by reporting it immediately and stop using the site or the forum where it is happening.
It's a sad fact that there are real world consequences of cyberbullying. It's very unfortunate that kids go through it. However, to an extent, many kids set themselves up for it. Kids today are willing to put their entire lives online for people to look at. If we can somehow teach kids to separate their online lives and their Internet persona, and then take additional steps to protect their online identity, we'd see a lot less of this. That's not going to fix anything in real life, but it'd make the Internet a lot more safe.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:17:55 PM

I don't really understand cyber bullying because the option is there to block the culprits and have no contact with them every again. I am not sure why someone would allow themselves to be affected by someone who is so pathetic they have to launch attacks through a monitor as mentioned. Like any bully they are weak only praying on those weaker than them.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:00:01 PM

Well said.

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:23:42 PM

Cyber bullying is defined as a young person tormenting, threatening, harassing, or embarrassing another young person using the Internet or other technologies, like cell phones. The psychological and emotional outcomes of cyber bullying are similar to those of real-life bullying. The difference is, real-life bullying often ends when school ends. For cyber bullying, there is no escape. You think you can't get hurt from some random comments on the internet? Think again. Many people committed suicide just because of online bullying.

How exactly is there no escape? You can use ignore features, close your browser, delete social media accounts and if all else fails hold down your power button for 10 seconds. Unlike school yard bullying "cyber bullying" requires active participation of a willing victim.

Suicide is always a tragic event no matter what is going on, but in all cases of suicide there are other things going on with the individual including depression and other mental problems.

For some there is no escape.  Once the damage online is done, for some, there is no turning back.  They have allowed too much of their lives to be known and it's hard for them to get away from it, even by unplugging themselves.  In the Amanda Todd case, a man was arrested for cyber bullying in the Netherlands, The bullying happened in BC Canada. Pack mentality took over and her classmates turned cyber bullying into physical bullying.

Be smart with your information online is your responsibility. It does not excuse physical assaults by individuals, but it is incumbent on everyone to use some common sense in their online activities.

Physical bullying is assault and all ready covered by existing law.

IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:00:18 AM

Cyber bullying is defined as a young person tormenting, threatening, harassing, or embarrassing another young person using the Internet or other technologies, like cell phones. The psychological and emotional outcomes of cyber bullying are similar to those of real-life bullying. The difference is, real-life bullying often ends when school ends. For cyber bullying, there is no escape. You think you can't get hurt from some random comments on the internet? Think again. Many people committed suicide just because of online bullying.

How exactly is there no escape? You can use ignore features, close your browser, delete social media accounts and if all else fails hold down your power button for 10 seconds. Unlike school yard bullying "cyber bullying" requires active participation of a willing victim.

Suicide is always a tragic event no matter what is going on, but in all cases of suicide there are other things going on with the individual including depression and other mental problems.

For some there is no escape.  Once the damage online is done, for some, there is no turning back.  They have allowed too much of their lives to be known and it's hard for them to get away from it, even by unplugging themselves.  In the Amanda Todd case, a man was arrested for cyber bullying in the Netherlands, The bullying happened in BC Canada. Pack mentality took over and her classmates turned cyber bullying into physical bullying.

Be smart with your information online is your responsibility. It does not excuse physical assaults by individuals, but it is incumbent on everyone to use some common sense in their online activities.

Physical bullying is assault and all ready covered by existing law.

I fully agree with being smart about what is shared online.  Unfortunately social media is rather new and some people are unaware of the damage that can be caused.  Proper education needs to happen and I think it is really lacking. I think it's something they should start teaching in Schools.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: