Bitcoin Forum
October 04, 2024, 09:17:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-05-14] Could One Bitcoin Come To Be Worth $1 Billion?  (Read 1670 times)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:45:39 PM

Absolute BS. If one Bitcoin becomes equal to $1 billion, that means that the total market cap of the Bitcoin becomes $21,000 trillion. That is 100 times the world GDP. Not possible either theoretically or practically.

funny how nobody bothered to set you right.
if btc or usd goes to zero aka dies of any not splitsecond event the other would go to infinety expressed in the former. While going to infinity it would eventually pass the billion without much drama. Who wants a billion worthless dollars?

anyway, billion was never mentioned there apparently.

This argument is ridiculous... I could say, "Could the price of sand reach $1 B per grain?" and answer "yes", only because this is true for everything. The question "Could Bitcoin come to be worth $1 billion?" clearly does not intend to mean "Could USD ever fall to 0.000000001 BTC?". That is an incorrect interpretation.

Note also the question asks "Could Bitcoin come to be worth $1 billion", which implies real valuation.

Yes, and the real valuation of the dollar can fall to abysmal levels.  If we asked this same question concerning gold, it would be an entirely different issue.  Fiat currencies aren't a special logical exception; their worth always falls to zilch, so the above question is correctly answered as "Yes, so long as bitcoin outlives the USD, one can be worth $1 billion."

You may believe the argument to be ridiculous, but so long as you concede that the argument is factually correct, your feelings on the matter are negligible.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:53:14 PM

Absolute BS. If one Bitcoin becomes equal to $1 billion, that means that the total market cap of the Bitcoin becomes $21,000 trillion. That is 100 times the world GDP. Not possible either theoretically or practically.

funny how nobody bothered to set you right.
if btc or usd goes to zero aka dies of any not splitsecond event the other would go to infinety expressed in the former. While going to infinity it would eventually pass the billion without much drama. Who wants a billion worthless dollars?

anyway, billion was never mentioned there apparently.

This argument is ridiculous... I could say, "Could the price of sand reach $1 B per grain?" and answer "yes", only because this is true for everything. The question "Could Bitcoin come to be worth $1 billion?" clearly does not intend to mean "Could USD ever fall to 0.000000001 BTC?". That is an incorrect interpretation.

Note also the question asks "Could Bitcoin come to be worth $1 billion", which implies real valuation.

Yes, and the real valuation of the dollar can fall to abysmal levels.  If we asked this same question concerning gold, it would be an entirely different issue.  Fiat currencies aren't a special logical exception; their worth always falls to zilch, so the above question is correctly answered as "Yes, so long as bitcoin outlives the USD, one can be worth $1 billion."

You may believe the argument to be ridiculous, but so long as you concede that the argument is factually correct, your feelings on the matter are negligible.

The argument is factually correct in the sense that all of the following arguments are correct:
  • Barack Obama holds #1 and #2 for number of votes won in a presidential election, for his 2008 and 2012 runs respectively.
  • American GDP growth (in absolute terms) soared to record highs during Obama's second term.
  • The amount of employed Americans has increased dramatically during Barack Obama's tenure.

Not even the Obama campaign is using these as arguments, however, despite that all of them are 100% "factually" correct. That's because the statements are so misleading, they cannot be said with a straight face. Anyone with two or more brain cells will notice that all above trends are almost tautological; they provide no information whatsoever about the quality of administration. They are caused by an unwavering trend that persists no matter who is running the country.

That's also why interpreting "Bitcoin to reach $1 billion" as a true statement is practically folly. Yes, it's factual as long as Bitcoin outlives the USD. But that can be said for anything. Just as my presidential statements above would apply equally to George Bush, the "to reach $1 billion" prediction applies to literally every commodity. Heck, the paper today's USD is printed on will eventually reach $1 billion. That doesn't mean I can seriously publish an article claiming "Dollar bill's value to reach $1 billion".
bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:22:22 AM

Valuations today:
US stocks ~~ $20 trln
US bonds ~~ $40 trln
US real estate ~~ $30 trln
---------------------------------------
Total ~~ $90 trln

That's only US, which is ~~25% of world GDP. Multiply by four and get ~~$360 trln for the whole world.

Now do your own math when BTC would be reaching 0.1%, 1% or even 10% of that valuation one day.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:10:16 AM

Valuations today:
US stocks ~~ $20 trln
US bonds ~~ $40 trln
US real estate ~~ $30 trln
---------------------------------------
Total ~~ $90 trln

That's only US, which is ~~25% of world GDP. Multiply by four and get ~~$360 trln for the whole world.

Now do your own math when BTC would be reaching 0.1%, 1% or even 10% of that valuation one day.

I did the math for 100% of that and got $17 million, a far cry from $1 billion. Claiming Bitcoin could reach $1 billion is either taking things way too literally, to the point that it's completely misleading, or being way too optimistic.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:02:01 AM

I think 0.1% of the world GDP must be a fair valuation for Bitcoin. On a higher estimate, we can take 1% maximum.

If BTC reaches 0.1% of the world GDP, then 1BTC = $17,142

If BTC reaches 1% of the world GDP, then 1BTC = $171,420
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1002

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:05:51 PM

Could pretty much only happen with a total collapse of the US dollar.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:15:01 PM

I think it could happen by 2018 or the latest by 2020 (once Hillary Clinton becomes the POTUS). Already the debt to GDP ratio is crossing 120%. Additional expenses from Obamacare, wars in Syria, Ukraine.etc will force them to print more and more dollar bills and treasury bonds. This can't go on indefinitely. The collapse is very near.  Grin
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1002

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:02:12 PM

I think it could happen by 2018 or the latest by 2020 (once Hillary Clinton becomes the POTUS). Already the debt to GDP ratio is crossing 120%. Additional expenses from Obamacare, wars in Syria, Ukraine.etc will force them to print more and more dollar bills and treasury bonds. This can't go on indefinitely. The collapse is very near.  Grin

I think it would take a little bit more than that to collapse the US dollar Wink But if I'm holding btc I guess I'm on your side for now Tongue
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:50:34 PM

My first thought was the same; $1 Billion/BTC is totally insane.
What if the USD does a Zimbabwe 2.0 and becomes actually worthless?
Everyone knows $10 Billion/BTC is the minimum long-term sell price.  Cheesy

What's the world GDP measured in Zimbabwe Dollars?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:00:25 AM

Most of the people are not realizing that the USD is losing its value, because other currencies such as the UKP, EUR, and CHF are also losing their value. The CNY on the other hand, is kept devalued by the Chinese government to help exports.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: