Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 04:42:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Investopedia wants to know if 1 Bitcoin could be worth $1 Billion USD?  (Read 2749 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:00:31 PM

firstly the OP needs to read the article. it talks about $1million not $1billion, but anyways.. the topic is now set as billions, so let me continue:

Notice the link:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/051414/could-one-bitcoin-come-be-worth-1-billion-qa.asp

Investopedia changed the article's title from 1 billion to 1 million.

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:23:52 AM

Investopedia wants to know if 1 Bitcoin could be worth $1 Billion USD?
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/051414/could-one-bitcoin-come-be-worth-1-billion-qa.asp

I think Investopedia just wants to see their own name in major headlines with something like this.   Also to see how many people will bite and try to rationalize how this is somehow possible...
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:38:26 AM

The article mentions a number off by 3 orders of magnitude. I don't think it could reach that or even $1Million USD no matter what happens. People are slow to change and that's how it is. Probably in the $40,000 range, maybe $400,000, but no higher.
beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:03:19 AM

Investopedia wants to know if 1 Bitcoin could be worth $1 Billion USD?

I think Investopedia just wants to see their own name in major headlines with something like this.   Also to see how many people will bite and try to rationalize how this is somehow possible...

yes, maybe they're trying to bait bitcoin "to the moon" fanboys by saying stupid shit like it could be worth $1 billion per coin. i don't even have enough BTC to buy myself a car even. isn't everybody sad for me?
ENEWIT

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:41:23 AM

IMO, $10,000 is more reasonable. $ 1 billion is too optimistic scenario
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:01:49 AM

Predicting future bitcoin price related to fiat currencies is silly. Any value is possible, if for example USD enters hyperinflation.

It's more reasonable to relate price predictions to commodities like precious metals or basic foods (wheat, sugar...).
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:16:45 PM

IMO, $10,000 is more reasonable. $ 1 billion is too optimistic scenario

If you're going to dream, dream big. :-) In the meantime,it's $450. :-)

more or less retired.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:49:53 PM

There's a difference between dreaming big though and just dreaming complete insanity. I personally cannot see a case where we have BTC value at $1 billion USD/BTC - it just seems completely and utterly absurd.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:04:24 PM

There's a difference between dreaming big though and just dreaming complete insanity. I personally cannot see a case where we have BTC value at $1 billion USD/BTC - it just seems completely and utterly absurd.

In my mind: $10,000 is pretty damn far too. All this 'speculation' is really just fantasy. $1billion might seem like a lot, but they claimed to have some logical reasoning behind it. Personally I think even $10,000 is even fantasy. But if you are going to invent any reason to support any idea, might as well go big.

more or less retired.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:11:51 PM

The OP really should change the title to 1 million. That's what the article is discussing. They ballsed up their title.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1373

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:32:29 PM

Since we are talking dollars here, and not Euros or some other fiat...

I think if you research it you will find that the formal national debt of the United states is around $17 trillion, and increasing. I say United States because the dollar is associated with the United States, formally.

Part of the way that fiat money works is that, for every debit somewhere, there needs to be a credit. What this means is that for there to be a debt, a debit, there needs to be someone who owns the debt - that is, a credit(or), a credit. This means that there has to be with regard to the United States, at least $17 trillion dollars sitting around somewhere.

The U.S. Dollar remains the main fiat money of the world, even though other fiats and other actual valuables are traded as money here and there around the world. I think that if you research it, you will find that there is something like $200 trillion worth of U.S. Dollar debt in existence around the world. This means that there also needs to be $200 hundred trillion dollars worth of credit in existence. NOTICE THIS. It is only debit/credit using the Dollar as a measurement of the amount of debit/credit. It is NOT Dollars at all! even though we call it dollars.

Now, by far the largest amount of this debit/credit, U.S. Dollar money has not been printed. It is simply entries in ledgers in the banking system and elsewhere. Yet, if the system collapsed today for one reason or another, what MIGHT the value comparison between Bitcoin and the Dollar be. Simple math would suggest that something like $9.5 million to the Bitcoin ($200 trillion divided by 21 million), BUT ONLY IF Bitcoin happened to take over as the world's currency.

Why is the collapse of all fiat money imminent? Because, as has been stated above, fiat is NOT MONEY. It is simply an exchange of debit and credit when people and businesses of the world trade real materials. In other words, fiat is simply using make-believe-debts to trade for REAL goods, materials and labor. When the people realize this, they will collapse the fiat systems, because they will also realize that all the trading that they do involves handing a portion of the trades over to the bankers, increasing the bankers' wealth for nothing in return.

The question is, when this happens - fiat collapse - will Bitcoin survive? Or will people go back on the gold and silver systems? Or will there be something else? Remember, unlike gold and silver, Bitcoin could collapse with a collapse of the Internet or the power grid. And like gold and silver, you can't eat bitcoins.

Bitcoin will probably never approach $1,000,000,000 per Bitcoin. But it just might outlast the Dollar when the fiats all crash. But you never know. When fiats are about to crash, banks might make gigantic ledger entries in a last-ditch attempt to stall the crash.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
Kashim

Activity: 300

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:23:52 PM

there are to much bitcoin and crypto currency haters for that to happen :/
hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:25:53 PM

Well that will never come true, never ever!!! It can only happen if the price of dollar falls down by thousands of percenrage
Kashim

Activity: 300

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:27:41 PM

Well that will never come true, never ever!!! It can only happen if the price of dollar falls down by thousands of percenrage

the dollar or the euro has nothing to do with this.

when everyone would use bitcoin and it where implementet everywhere it could happen
elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:54:04 PM

My guess is bitcoin will never reach one million. May be $1000 but not one million USD.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:03:44 PM

Quote from: odolvlobo link=topic=608962.msg6730907#msg67 30907 date=1400098136
BTW, somebody at Investopedia fixed the article. It used to say "$1 billion" and now it says "$1 million".

Regardless, 1 bitcoin will never be worth $1 million of today's USD. As I wrote above, it will be worth only around $190,000 if it replaces USD completely.

At $190,000 I would be one extremely happy person. Maybe even a little rich!  Wink

The whole point is that at the time the dollar would be so worthless that 190,000$ would be about enough to buy yourself a juicebox and go nap nap with your blankie.

Very good point! I had my rose colored bitcoin glasses on and wasn't really looking at the whole picture!  Cool

problem with his scenario is that he is assuming we would still peg our exchange rate of bitcoins to a worthless dollar. what the questions asks is how much will the purchasing power of a bitcoin be if compared to the purchasing power of a dollar today BEFORE the dollar is worthless. when the dollar is worthless we won't compare the value of a bitcoin to a dollar. maybe a better question would be: if 1 Bitcoin could be worth 500 - 1000 ounces of gold Huh
hensi

Activity: 70

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:42:42 PM

when everyone would use bitcoin and it where implementet everywhere it could happen
Well if the price of dollar drops significantly the inflation will increase and there would be an increase in price of everything, even the bitcoins, but however in this case even if the price per btc increases their value will remain same.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1373

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:01:02 PM

Well if the price of dollar drops significantly the inflation will increase and there would be an increase in price of everything, even the bitcoins, but however in this case even if the price per btc increases their value will remain same.

The "price of the dollar" drops when more money is added to the currently available amount. The "price of the dollar" is in essence the purchasing power of the dollar. With regard to Bitcoin, the "price of the dollar" is the number of dollars that you can trade for so many bitcoins.

Basically, the 3 things that control the value of the dollar with regards to Bitcoin are:
1. Manipulations by the Federal Reserve Bank, including dumping more dollars on the market;
2. The increase of the number of bitcoins due to mining;
3. The value that users of the dollar and Bitcoin place on both of them.

There are $trillions of dollars that are sitting on the books, in the ledgers of the banks and the super-rich, that if they decide to dump even fractions of the amounts available to them, onto the public market place, there just might be massive inflation that could destroy the dollar. Examples of this happening abound in many currencies around the world. One of the most recent and openly documented is that of Argentina, 2 or 3 times over the last 50 years. Another is WWII Germany, when the 3rd Reich was pressured by the war so that it didn't have any choice but to print massive amounts of the Mark.

If Bitcoin starts to threaten the dollar in any substantial ways, the only REAL choice that the bankers will have for retaining their position as the "Power Elite" will be, print more dollars, or dump more of what they have on the market. But the more they print and dump, the faster their system will destroy itself with inflation. However, there is a chance - a slim chance at best - that they will succeed in hypnotizing the people into accepting Dollars over Bitcoin. It will be interesting to watch the thing play out.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
mktrader

Activity: 84

Hello World!!!

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:03:51 PM

1 btc= $1 billion is not likely unless fiat implodes big time.

Nonetheless, 1 bitcoin can hit $100,000 in coming years.

Price Poll: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555609
Crindon

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:16:26 PM

Should really focus in on how to enhance the infrastructure and to get major institutional investors onboard. $1,000 should be the next goal that we should reach. I am hoping it will play out like it did when we hoped for $250, then the crash.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: