Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Black Screen/ No-Boot upon Restart or PC power on.  (Read 1669 times)
WildChaser777 (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:58:37 PM

Hi,

for some time I've been having this issue with my rig. When I restart it, or power it on if it was turned off, it will refuse on a random basis to boot Windows and the screen will remain black. All fans are running, but there are no signs of life from the CPU or HDD (in this situation I noticed that the LAN card and the keyboard are not receiving power). In this situation I do a hard restart once or twice - mostly twice - and the PC will boot up and start loading Windows etc.

My specs are:

Win7 64
AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte 990FXA UD5
2x4 GB RAM
3 x Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (non X), each on a 30 cm molex powered riser with a capacitor. (connected to the motherboard in this order: x16; x16; x4)
Corsair RM 850W
AMD Catalyst 13.12 drivers

Could you guys please help me deal with this issue? I'm out of ideas... When it's working, the PC is working without any issues for days, only on restart/power on it will do such a misery from time to time.

Thank you in advance.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlind

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:47:13 PM

Do you have a case speaker hooked up and receive any beep codes?

Looking at your specs I immediately eyeballed the Power Supply... great brand but maybe under powered?  Im not 100% sure, but in my GPU rig that now has 3 270x gpu's, I had to jump to a 1kw psu.

WildChaser777 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Hmm, I was thinking about the PSU, but if it was the problem, then the PC would have never ran normally. And the rig certainly  runs nice, but sometimes it just refuses to boot Windows, as I've said. When the no-boot bug happens, there is no BIOS beep, if that's what you mean by case speaker .

Thanks
bitlind

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:44:47 AM

Hmm, I was thinking about the PSU, but if it was the problem, then the PC would have never ran normally. And the rig certainly  runs nice, but sometimes it just refuses to boot Windows, as I've said. When the no-boot bug happens, there is no BIOS beep, if that's what you mean by case speaker .

Thanks

What do you mean by run nice exactly?  As an example, have you run any tests such as http://www.ocbase.com/ ?  That tool will help you test your power requirements/efficiency and load on your GPUs.

153w per card at the wall http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2106947

~460w total for the cards.  Is the rest of your system falling under spec?  What is the PSU efficiency?  If its 80%, then yes you are most likely falling short on your power requirements
WildChaser777 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:41:24 AM

I'll do the test when I get back home. By "running nicely" I mean that once it loads Windows, there are no problems. But that's just my opinion since I've never conducted a test with a Kill-A-Watt meter. Maybe because the GPU's are overclocked, it draws even more power...
bitlind

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:03:35 PM

I'll do the test when I get back home. By "running nicely" I mean that once it loads Windows, there are no problems. But that's just my opinion since I've never conducted a test with a Kill-A-Watt meter. Maybe because the GPU's are overclocked, it draws even more power...

If you are doing any overclocking, then I would lean even further towards the PSU and it being under powered for your setup.  I hope this gets you in the right direction!  If you need any further help just PM me direct.  Im pretty solid with hardware, also a Microsoft and Citrix IT Pro.  Cheers
WildChaser777 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:06:10 PM

Will do! I couldn't conduct the test today, but will do it tomorrow. Will write you in a PM the results. Smiley
Thanks.
bitlind

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:09:05 PM

Will do! I couldn't conduct the test today, but will do it tomorrow. Will write you in a PM the results. Smiley
Thanks.

No problem man!  I will be around.  Hopefully we can get this solved painlessly!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: