Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:43:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kickstarter idea (bitcoin price LED ticker)  (Read 5132 times)
General

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:13:59 PM

link to indiegogo campaign if we go that route
So you are going to fund the batches all by yourself? Why NOT go the Indiegogo/Kickstarter route and let people help you fund it? Unless you've got a lot of money to spend...

And are we talking wireless devices, or connected to router/PC with a cable?

We considered indiegogo but we are now talking to investors too.
There are pros and cons for both and hope you understand whichever route we take.

It is wireless and will connect via WiFi.

Update:

We are waiting for our Federal Tax ID number before opening necessary bank accts. for both Stripe & Coinbase accounts to process payments.
Announcement thread is looking like it will be posted around the beginning of June at this point.

So this is a sign that you're 100% going through with this now, right? The EIN and whatnot being obtained.

Yes we are 100% going through with this.  We think we can fill a demand and want to be first to the market.
We are going to have two options: one with and one without a touch screen.

When we first release it will have the ability to toggle between currencies and 3-5 different exchanges.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
General

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:16:55 PM

There are pros and cons for both and hope you understand whichever route we take.

Ah, okay.

Cool. WPA2/TKIP and all that? And what price range are we looking at? And what's the physical size?

It would have to get FCC approved too, right? How long does that take?

And just to throw some more ideas at it now, lol: Red color when price lowers a lot, orange when it lowers a little, green when it grows. Maybe 24 hour graph if it's not too complicated for the display.

Another idea: give me a discount for being the catalyst of this project, lol!

FCC approval isn't required to sell the product, however, it is something we will do.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:00:46 PM

Quote from: General
Quote from: ranlo on Today at 03:19:24 PM

Quote from: General on Today at 03:12:41 PM

Quote from: f3tus on Today at 02:52:53 PM

Quote from: General on Today at 02:07:16 PM

So you are going to fund the batches all by yourself? Why NOT go the Indiegogo/Kickstarter route and let people help you fund it? Unless you've got a lot of money to spend...

Update:

We are waiting for our Federal Tax ID number before opening necessary bank accts. for both Stripe & Coinbase accounts to process payments.
Announcement thread is looking like it will be posted around the beginning of June at this point.

So this is a sign that you're 100% going through with this now, right? The EIN and whatnot being obtained.

Yes we are 100% going through with this.  We think we can fill a demand and want to be first to the market.
We are going to have two options: one with and one without a touch screen.

When we first release it will have the ability to toggle between currencies and 3-5 different exchanges.

This is sounding better and better!  Can you toss me a pm when you get things going in case I miss it?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
General

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

You'll know once it hits the market.  Don't worry. Smiley

BlockStreet

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 08:15:30 PM

I was at a Cinco de Bitcoin event and someone showed a breadboard with a very simple LCD display showing the price in real time. Toggle switches, plexi, big, old school LCD readout, and you could see the wires. It was rough looking, but to me that was it's charm.  It was just a side project and he wasn't going to move forward with it, but I would definitely buy one to have on my desk as a novelty.

Having run and advised several Kickstarter campaigns, I highly recommend it.  Primary drawback is they don't take bitcoin. Good news is you can test out your marketplace with almost no risk.  You need X # of units to go into production. Set up the campaign, post here and on Reddit, and you'll know pretty quick if you've got a hit.

I would also suggest posting here some sketches of the designs, get some feedback.  For me, this is a novelty, so I like bare wires and block LED. For serious information I just use my app.

What type of unit sales are you hoping for and at what price?

f3tus (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:39:40 PM

Primary drawback is they don't take bitcoin.
On Indiegogo you can set up "Flexible funding" where you're given the money even if your goal is not reached (Indiegogo takes 9% fee vs 4% when goal is reached), and you can let people know in the campaign's text that they can contribute with bitcoin as well. It's not against the rules, I know from personal experience. Not sure about Kickstarter, they might be more strict with this.
General

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:51:51 PM

Primary drawback is they don't take bitcoin.
On Indiegogo you can set up "Flexible funding" where you're given the money even if your goal is not reached (Indiegogo takes 9% fee vs 4% when goal is reached), and you can let people know in the campaign's text that they can contribute with bitcoin as well. It's not against the rules, I know from personal experience. Not sure about Kickstarter, they might be more strict with this.

Indiegogo is what we'd use if we did crowdfunding.
We are looking to go the same route that https://onlycoin.com which is accepting pre-orders once everything is established and we have perfected the prototype and release videos and pictures.

That way we could accept both Debit/Credit and Bitcoin for pre-orders, and use the funds from pre-orders to buy materials.

f3tus (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:33:32 PM

Here's a video of a ticker running on Raspberry Pi (still connected to PC though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBOvH2jCFwM
General

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:14:24 PM

Here's a video of a ticker running on Raspberry Pi (still connected to PC though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBOvH2jCFwM

Cool stuff.

Raspberry Pi is great but it's not practical due to its price.

Corporate

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:00:11 AM

I can setup something very similar to the website you linked. It would cost around $50 per individual unit, as low as $20 in bulk, plus the cost of the casing. I have several ideas in mind, a plain rectangle would be cheap, if you wanted some sort of plastic *or even metal* bitcoin it would be a bit more depending on quantity. I am interested in running some numbers with you if you are thinking this is a product that can be resold. Feel free to PM me any method of communication you have, maybe we can talk about this.
OhMyCoin

Activity: 117

Long live Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:16:36 AM

Update:

Cool project, looking forward to more info
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 04:21:12 AM

Many of the kickstarters dont do anything after getting all the funds they receive.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
General

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:32:19 AM

Many of the kickstarters dont do anything after getting all the funds they receive.

Very true.

We will be posting an announcement thread with pictures and videos showcasing the prototype most likely mid June.
We are going to be raising capital through VC and other private investors.

Will provide more updates soon.

f3tus (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:09:16 PM

Any updates?
General

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:39:50 PM

Any updates?

Still working on the software!

First parts I got I had a defective touch screen shield and had to wait another long period of time to receive the replacement.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: