Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:15:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Versions, New Qt Releases, & Amature Devs  (Read 432 times)
kyma (OP)

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:06:00 PM

Hey can we all agree to keep better track of what wallet version is the most current release for each Altcoin...

I see all these stupid coin announcements that say "NEW WALLET," "MANDATORY," "UPGRADE NOW" and there's no release date, no version number, or anything to identify how new this update is and whether or not I have the most current client.

90% of all devs just release a zip file titled "shitcoin-qt.zip" and there's absolutely no way to tell it apart from the "old client"

...I'm a mac user so I'm already dealing with outdated qt clients and lack of support on that end... but lets use some common sense when we publish updates people!

Kiss love you all and best of luck with your endeavors

Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:52:04 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a bit of a red flag.
Stick56

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

Hoping to see another sunrise from home!

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:06:11 PM

I'd like to see the wallet itself notify me of a newer upgrade.
bitcoinreactor

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:29:46 PM

I'd like to see the wallet itself notify me of a newer upgrade.

yeah, it looks like only a few new coin "devs" managed to understand and implement the alert protocol.

So far, i only saw a few clients relaying & displaying alerts properly : btc obviously, ltc, ppc and trc.
with billions of new forks appearing i stopped tracking though Smiley

BTC: 17CHqn3XE3Waf7Qfkm9p2MQE1VgB8gVbG4
kyma (OP)

Activity: 479

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:06:34 PM

I think the issue with having a client auto update is malware infecting your wallet via update and stealing your coins..

NXT has been working on this and wesleys client actually verifies some hash from the download that corresponds with the blockchain. its brilliant.

Anyway bottom line, can we PLEASE just keep things a bit organized!!!  Huh

bitcoinreactor

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:33:18 PM

I think the issue with having a client auto update is malware infecting your wallet via update and stealing your coins..

I also think full automatic updates are a bad thing, whatever the software is. This is especially true with critical libraries/tools.

We were not speaking about automatic updates here, but the notification system that has been implemented in bitcoin itself years ago :

Bitcoin Satoshi client comes with a keypair developers can use to broadcast 'alerts' into the network. Those are relayed to other peers until the alert itself expires (there are other conditions).

Clients matching the alert properties can then display the alert message to user and set the 'error' field so headless users may also see the message.

Fortunately, bitcoin developers did not publish their alert broadcasting client.
Forks coming with no usable alert mechanism reveals something (at least it should).

BTC: 17CHqn3XE3Waf7Qfkm9p2MQE1VgB8gVbG4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: