Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:44:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: >>>SIMPLE GUIDE FOR NEW PEOPLE<<< How To "Back Up & Restore" Your "wallet.dat"  (Read 1084 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mincointeam (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 03:24:22 AM

How To "Back Up & Restore" Your "wallet.dat"
This guide is for newer members to the crypto community
It's the easiest method of keeping a wallet backup
(This simple guide also works for all QT wallets)

Make sure your wallet is updated to the current block
To create your 'back up' file:

1: Click 'Backup Wallet' from the 'file menu'

2: Choose a file name for the 'Backup file':
(Any name is fine mncwallet.dat, mnc.dat....  etc. as long as you rename the file wallet.dat when/if you need to restore it)

3: Save the file in any file location:
(for this guide i'm showing you how to save to desktop,  a flashdrive or two is safer than a pc thats online)

STEP: 1

STEP: 2

Step: 3

Restoring the backup file

Step: 1

Step: 2

Step: 3

Step: 4

There are more advanced ways to back up your wallet
like paper wallet's and importing/exporting your private keys
But this is the method I've been using for a while now
and has yet to fail me and even SAVED my butt!!!
In a couple situations with the Bitcoin-QT where I thought all was lost!!!  Roll Eyes
NOTE:
You can make a backup of the wallet.dat file by copying and pasting it from it's folder location
but I've read from numerous dev's that it's not 100% safe compared to saving through the wallet GUI.

Keeping a backup file updated often is the only way to ensure 99.999% of it usefuleness
in the rare occasion you may need it.

Wallet.dat Back-up & Restore Guide

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 03:20:19 AM

GREAT job putting this essential wallet.dat back-up guide together!

Grin

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
lda1000

Activity: 581
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:58:06 PM

you can backup your wallet from a command line too using

bitcoind backupwallet <path-to-the-file.dat>

MTJ151

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:35:49 AM

thanks for the guide.... I have a question.

How often do you have to take a backup? Should it be done when you create new addresses or are they somehow already in the wallet.dat file?

Cheers!
mrcashking

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:35:26 AM

+1 Thanks, very helpful!
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:40:25 AM

This is an awesome guide! I'd also point people to the fact that you can use autobackup programs (like Mozy) to keep backing up your wallet remotely as well.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
mincointeam (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 01:34:02 AM

How often do you have to take a backup? Should it be done when you create new addresses or are they somehow already in the wallet.dat file?

Cheers!

I do a backup every time I make a transaction to or from the wallet.  Yes if you create a new wallet address the wallet.dat will contain that address so if you had somebody send coins to that address I would back it up.

Thnx for the input guys Smiley
Yes I know there are plenty of other ways to make a backup as I mentioned this is for new people into crypto coins that don't want to have to get too technical or use the command prompt which is something most computer users don't really do anyway.
Trying to make this so simple that my grandmother would understand it if need be  Roll Eyes Tongue
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:07:52 AM

Cheers!

I do a backup every time I make a transaction to or from the wallet.  Yes if you create a new wallet address the wallet.dat will contain that address so if you had somebody send coins to that address I would back it up.

Thnx for the input guys Smiley
Yes I know there are plenty of other ways to make a backup as I mentioned this is for new people into crypto coins that don't want to have to get too technical or use the command prompt which is something most computer users don't really do anyway.
Trying to make this so simple that my grandmother would understand it if need be  Roll Eyes Tongue

You really don't need to back up every time you send a transaction, either. You just need to do it every 100 times IIRC (there is a pool of 100 that is created, and that is increased as needed). To help illustrate my understanding:

1-100 - Starting
Send a transaction, now you have 1-101
Send another, 1-102

So as long as you back up after 100 sends, you're still safe.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: