Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:35:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if I mis type a bitcoin user's address when sending money?  (Read 2360 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 09:29:29 AM

Say for example I want to pay a seller on a forum for an item.

I copy and paste the seller's bitcoin address, but after pressing ctrl+v to paste their address they added an extra v to the end of their address.

What will happen when I send bitcoins to their address + v?

What if somehow they deleted their first character as well by accident so that the address was a perfect length?

Would the transaction simply remain in bitcoin purgatory?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 09:31:23 AM

The client will detect this and not send anything.  It is comparatively hard to "accidentally a real bitcoin address."

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 09:38:29 AM

Just attempted to alter my bitcoin address and the check mark went from green to nothing. Apparently the bitcoin client already protects you from such stupidity!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 09:40:37 AM

It could conceivably happen, but the large majority of typos will result in an invalid address. For example if the 1 is not at the beginning it will not send. But there are more checks, some kind of checksum digits (at the end? I dunno). Also there are many valid lengths, can't remember the exact range.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 02:43:58 PM

Yes, it could happen and it is extremely unlikely. The address uses the first 4 digits of the checksum, sha-256(sha-256(key) concatenated with the address hash RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(key).[1] Though, I don't know if it applies to new addresses who's public key is unknown.

pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 04:47:40 PM

As others have said, it's hard to typo an address in such a way that it'll go nowhere instead of where you meant it to go.

Much more likely is a typo in the amount. The client does nothing to protect you from adding an accidental digit or two to the end of what you meant to send.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:30:35 PM

But if you do happen to produce a valid address, the money will be sent there, and whoever owns that address will get the money, if no one owns it, the money will be "lost"; there is a small chance someone in the future will create a new address that will match that typo, in that case, that person will "find" the money.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2011, 04:11:47 AM

But if you do happen to produce a valid address, the money will be sent there, and whoever owns that address will get the money, if no one owns it, the money will be "lost"; there is a small chance someone in the future will create a new address that will match that typo, in that case, that person will "find" the money.

If by "small chance" you mean that every single person on earth doing this continuously until the end of our universe is still unlikely to "find" it, then sure.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 05:55:14 AM

If by "small chance" you mean that every single person on earth doing this continuously until the end of our universe is still unlikely to "find" it, then sure.

So the answer is that the money truly would be "lost in transmission" then. Some sort of bitcoin purgatory if you will?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2011, 05:59:00 AM

So the answer is that the money truly would be "lost in transmission" then. Some sort of bitcoin purgatory if you will?

It wouldn't be 'lost' we'd all know there were coins assigned to that address, it's just that no one will ever have the key to unlock that address.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ByteCoin

Activity: 416
Merit: 277

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 06:40:42 PM

It wouldn't be 'lost' we'd all know there were coins assigned to that address, it's just that no one will ever have the key to unlock that address.

It's probably not impossible, it's very likely to be very unlikely. So for example the address 1111111111111111111114oLvT2 has a hash160 of 0 and a balance of 0.02 bitcoins. It's likely that about 79,228 million million million million different public keys have this hash.
If you were to keep generating public keys at random or by exhaustive search you just have to find just one of those 79,228 million million million million that hashes to 0 then you can claim the money.
It is possible that no public key would have a hash160 of 0 in which case spending the money is impossible. It is very unlikely however.

ByteCoin 
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 07:28:25 AM

Ok so not lost then, but irretrievable. Wink

I always hated that show anyways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: