Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:24:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is DarkCoin gaining ground?  (Read 1146 times)
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:34:22 AM

So DarkCoin is based on CoinJoin, a technology developed for Bitcoin as a response to ZeroCoin/ZeroCash.

So this alternative coin has taken CoinJoin and is now taking off as it's own CryptoCurrency.

http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/DarkcoinWhitepaper.pdf

Many "speculators" believe that the Bitcoin core will never have CoinJoin implemented allowing for a huge chunk of the future market to be taken by this new coin.

Why is that? Do the Bitcoin core developers have an aversion to this technology?

I was very hopeful because of CoinJoin but it seems that it's now taboo in Bitcoin circles. We need this private transaction feature in the core client yesterday.

I find it funny that all the cutting edge tech some Bitcoin developers are making (CoinJoin) are not going to be implemented into the core and are just left on a silver platter for our competitors.

How does this make sense? Is there a technical reason that makes CoinJoin flawed? Or is it to appease uncle sam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:57:24 AM

I think there is a difference between Coinjoin and Zerocoin/Zerocash.

Zerocash is an entirely new way of anonymizing transactions but relies on an accumulator and new mathematics. Zero was developed at an Israeli university.

Coinjoin is less exotic and simply pools large amounts of same denominated transactions together and relies on core bitcoin transaction functions, no new math needed. Coinjoin was developed here by core bitcoin developers.

Now Darkcoin has simply taken all of the work done on Coinjoin because they feel that the lead developers of Bitcoin are scared of adding Coinjoin into the main client for fear of angering the USA.

I can understand if Coinjoin has some technical issue why it can't be put into the Bitcoin core, but how can there be when an entire Currency is using Coinjoin right now?
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 10:00:42 AM

Has anyone read about CryptoNote? Monero?
AtomTom

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:08:01 AM

I think you talk about two completely different factors.

Besides it is pretty much speculation discussion Tongue
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:25:38 AM

I kinda disagree.

I'm interested in reasons why Bitcoin is not implementing a feature designed for Bitcoin by Bitcoin developers and this feature is being used by a competitor.

The feature is immensely valuable and Bitcoins lack of privacy is insane. I can watch friends wallets and determine when they go to an exchange, JustDice or even blockchain.info (Blockchain is very tell tale because they always make the change address the address you send from.

Of course none of this is 100% certain, but it's worse privacy than a bank account.

digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

DarkCoin = Bitcoin fork + CoinJoin. CoinJoin is nothing new but a centralized mixing service

Bitcoin + Dark Wallet > DarkCoin

However, Dark has a very strong marketing team and huge amount of premined coins to manipulate the market.

DRK can be a new Litecoin at the moment but I don't think it will last long
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:53:57 PM

I kinda disagree.

I'm interested in reasons why Bitcoin is not implementing a feature designed for Bitcoin by Bitcoin developers and this feature is being used by a competitor.

The feature is immensely valuable and Bitcoins lack of privacy is insane. I can watch friends wallets and determine when they go to an exchange, JustDice or even blockchain.info (Blockchain is very tell tale because they always make the change address the address you send from.

Of course none of this is 100% certain, but it's worse privacy than a bank account.

The Bitcoin core developers seem to see the need for privacy and EdDSA/ring signatures:
Code:
<gmaxwell> I already have a port of the bytecoin signature system to bitcoind... so I assume someone will do that.
<gmaxwell> (I'm not releasing it right now because all releasing it will do is cause a bunch of additional silly altcoins... created by people who couldn't even do the couple hours of work.
<gmaxwell> )

Perhaps soon we'll see a high privacy sidechain based on this tech, but for now it's implemented completely in CryptoNote coins.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: