Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:06:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The bubble has finished popping  (Read 1772 times)
vpitcher07 (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:28:50 PM

Anyone looking at the price history of bitcoin will know that we were in fact in a major bubble for some time. Everything about the chart cries bubble - we went up too high too fast. That being said this past few months of price stabilization around the mid $400s proves that we are in line for slow stable growth. I'd say slow steady growth and close to 1k by the end of the year. Coindesk had a good technical analysis of bitcoin although I'm not a huge believer in technical analysis when it comes to btc - the market is too sporadic. http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-falling-volume-herald-bull-run/

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Anyone looking at the price history of bitcoin will know that we were in fact in a major bubble for some time. Everything about the chart cries bubble - we went up too high too fast. That being said this past few months of price stabilization around the mid $400s proves that we are in line for slow stable growth. I'd say slow steady growth and close to 1k by the end of the year. Coindesk had a good technical analysis of bitcoin although I'm not a huge believer in technical analysis when it comes to btc - the market is too sporadic. http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-falling-volume-herald-bull-run/

I hope like hell you are correct....tired of dreaming of 1k btc again all by my lonesome!

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:36:01 PM

tired of dreaming of 1k btc again all by my lonesome!

why are you dreaming of something that has happened couple of months ago? dream bigger Cheesy

i am satoshi
UglyTroll

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:37:12 PM

Keep dreaming, I hope you guys wouldn't get a nightmare  Grin
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:21:03 PM

I agree we might be at $1,000 by the end of the year, but only if we're deflating from the summer/autumn bubble of ~$5,000 and we're in the midst of a new "rock bottom" phase.  Smiley

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:30:54 PM

How are you a senior member?

Have you ever, even once, in the history of bitcoin seen slow linear growth?

I sure haven't.

Bitcoin has only shown 4 types of movement and in a very predictable pattern:

1) double exponential growth (very short rises in price in which the price goes up by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude in a month or less)

2) fast decline right after the peak (only happens right after a peak and often also after a second smaller peak, last for a couple of hours mostly, sometimes days, but never much longer)

3) horizontal price movement (often several months of low volatility and not much action, this is the normal behavior of bitcoin in between waves of growth)

4) steady linear decline (this is often seen the first month or two after growth, and often a couple of weeks or months before the next growth. Type 3 and 4 often follow each other up in a sequence and both usually last for months.
atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:35:07 PM

I don't know about stability. This pattern has been repeated over and over again. The price has been stable after a pop for quite a long time. This is to be expected from a bubble the size of December's which was HUGE! So,yeah,plenty of time for the price to shift,however,this stable price when Bitcoin is gaining popularity means more merchants will consider accepting it.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:36:03 PM

If the economies of the world were doing well, not to mention their monies, then the OP might be on to something with his term "bubble". But what we see happening, by definition, is not a bubble. Bubbles don't pop 4X or so. They pop and that is the end. Not trying to split hairs here but just because the price moved "hugely", that does not mean this is a bubble. But sure, it looks like one at first glance, not to mention the TV keeps (or kept) screaming that.

What we see happening here is a combination of price discovery while economies and currencies are nearing a turning point, dare I say collapse...

That said, I'm not sure we have seen a bottom. I can imagine us going down to the 300 ish level. Some Elliot Wave guys have said the same. I can also imagine us base-lining here for a bit. Hmmm...

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:41:57 PM

But what we see happening, by definition, is not a bubble. Bubbles don't pop 4X or so. They pop and that is the end.

So there has only been one bubble in the stock market and since bubbles can only pop once there will never be a bubble in the future until the end of time?  Good to know. 
vpitcher07 (OP)

Activity: 342

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:42:48 PM

I sure haven't.

1) double exponential growth (very short rises in price in which the price goes up by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude in a month or less)

2) fast decline right after the peak (only happens right after a peak and often also after a second smaller peak, last for a couple of hours mostly, sometimes days, but never much longer)

3) horizontal price movement (often several months of low volatility and not much action, this is the normal behavior of bitcoin in between waves of growth)

4) steady linear decline (this is often seen the first month or two after growth, and often a couple of weeks or months before the next growth. Type 3 and 4 often follow each other up in a sequence and both usually last for months.

We're seeing it right now....That predictable pattern is slowly changing.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:47:06 PM

Just curious - probably (k, definitely) a n00bish question but if it's so easy to "test" and manipulate this market, what's the reason you all don't do X to drive the price way down to easy entry for whoever to buy up, and then do Y to drive it up where you want it and keep it there so it's not volatile? This is the one area that I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around. I hear how bitcoin market price is at the mercy of China and the IRS or Gox or whatever and people in a panic, and then expecting a surge upward when people settle down and buy in...because nobody buys when it's high.

So create FUD, price drops, load up...then more demand escalates the price.

Why would there need to be volatility. Everyone wants in on the low and to hold on the high. I get it...but if it's so easily manipulated why not just do that til people flock to it and ride it back up. You only lose if you cash out when it's at $2 so don't do that  Cheesy

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:54:20 PM

Just curious - probably (k, definitely) a n00bish question but if it's so easy to "test" and manipulate this market, what's the reason you all don't do X to drive the price way down to easy entry for whoever to buy up, and then do Y to drive it up where you want it and keep it there so it's not volatile? This is the one area that I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around. I hear how bitcoin market price is at the mercy of China and the IRS or Gox or whatever and people in a panic, and then expecting a surge upward when people settle down and buy in...because nobody buys when it's high.

So create FUD, price drops, load up...then more demand escalates the price.

Why would there need to be volatility. Everyone wants in on the low and to hold on the high. I get it...but if it's so easily manipulated why not just do that til people flock to it and ride it back up. You only lose if you cash out when it's at $2 so don't do that  Cheesy

Well, maybe there are too many buy orders when the price is low (enough like 339 or 100 or something).  Why sell all the coins to make it look like a dump when it can look more natural (peaks here and there etc.)  
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:56:44 PM

Right after I posted that, I went to the main area and found this thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=586667.80 - with a pretty good and reasonable explanation to what I was missing, namely, it's the traders keeping the prices at this or any other level...and if the people understand they're the ones influencing the price then it can be taken there  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:22:15 PM

But what we see happening, by definition, is not a bubble. Bubbles don't pop 4X or so. They pop and that is the end.

So there has only been one bubble in the stock market and since bubbles can only pop once there will never be a bubble in the future until the end of time?  Good to know. 

I'm trying to think of 1 stock that actually bubbled again and again.
I'm not talking about markets, I'm talking about individual stocks.

Can anyone think of a few? That would be good to know.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:24:41 PM

Some of the Dotcom bubble companies that survived.
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:32:55 PM

I sure haven't.

We have had 3 days of slow linear growth

I have never seen it do it before ...so maybe its a first ...lolz

I was so excited to see stability I have been driving everybody crazy by showing them charts

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:41:42 PM

Some of the Dotcom bubble companies that survived.

I know Akamai went from 6 bucks to 300 or so. But that was one bubble.
Which Dotcom companies had multiple bubbles, that is the question?

BTC = Black Swan.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:36:32 PM

I sure haven't.

lol, there's always the time when it's different.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4469

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:41:32 PM

tired of dreaming of 1k btc again all by my lonesome!

That's not dreaming.

It's facing an eventual reality.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:11:34 PM

I sure haven't.

We're seeing it right now....That predictable pattern is slowly changing.

eh no it's not, it's still the same pattern, what makes you believe it changed?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: