Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:25:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it smart to make a Bitcoin Faucet  (Read 6903 times)
Zyborg

Activity: 476
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:17:42 PM

If you could ensure getting a lot of traffic you'd be able to make quite a lot from advertising /ad.fly / coin url.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:22:12 PM

If you could ensure getting a lot of traffic you'd be able to make quite a lot from advertising /ad.fly / coin url.

This is false. If it was true, faucets would always be earning money, being that their spending is relative to the visitors, but the advertising money would be as well (such that 10 visitors would be just as profitable as 100000 visitors on a relative basis).

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Zyborg

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:27:28 PM

This is false. If it was true, faucets would always be earning money, being that their spending is relative to the visitors, but the advertising money would be as well (such that 10 visitors would be just as profitable as 100000 visitors on a relative basis).
No, that's not true. The money you make by advertising increases when your traffic increases, you don't have to increase the payouts to each visitor, however. An advertiser is going to pay more to a site that gets 10k visitors per day compared to one that gets 1k per day. You'd still pay the same amount of money to each individual, but earn more.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:31:53 PM

No, that's not true. The money you make by advertising increases when your traffic increases, you don't have to increase the payouts to each visitor, however. An advertiser is going to pay more to a site that gets 10k visitors per day compared to one that gets 1k per day. You'd still pay the same amount of money to each individual, but earn more.

Let's try this another way.

Your advertiser pays $1000 for 1000 visitors. Your faucet pays $1 per visitor. You're breaking even.
Next month, you have 10000 visitors. Your advertiser is now paying $10000. Your faucet is now paying $10000.

You are at the same level regardless. They don't say "well, your traffic is 2x as much so we're going to give you 5x as much money." They will pay you relative to the traffic increase. If your traffic went up 2x, you would make 2x as much. You would also be paying out 2x as much.

If your site is not profitable with 100 visitors, it won't be with 10 million either.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:50:39 PM

if you think you can make something thats both profitable and safe... then yes, its smart Smiley

so long as the amount you make is worth your time.

btc faucets can and certainly still are profitable for various people who run some of them.  it's up to you find a method that suits your needs and works for you well.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 11:02:01 PM

1) Tx Fees making it too expensive,

This is a big issue, but its not that hard to get around. Just use a micro payments api OR at the end of every day, make one large send.

2) Bitcoin is much bigger, which means I am a much larger target to hackers, and it will cost more to keep funded.

I was botted, but it wasnt that bad. There are hundreds of other faucets so you wont really have to worry about it.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:07:00 PM

This is a big issue, but its not that hard to get around. Just use a micro payments api OR at the end of every day, make one large send.

2) Bitcoin is much bigger, which means I am a much larger target to hackers, and it will cost more to keep funded.

I was botted, but it wasnt that bad. There are hundreds of other faucets so you wont really have to worry about it.

Were you able to actually make a profit from your faucet (and was it recently) or did you end up paying more than it was bringing in?

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 11:11:34 PM

Were you able to actually make a profit from your faucet (and was it recently) or did you end up paying more than it was bringing in?

Truthfully, my goal wasnt really to make money. I think I gave away 0.1 BTC of my own money, but it was a fun experience. I am thinking of re-launching it soon!

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:19:08 PM

Truthfully, my goal wasnt really to make money. I think I gave away 0.1 BTC of my own money, but it was a fun experience. I am thinking of re-launching it soon!

Got you. If you do launch it again, and it's based on x time between claims, let me know and I'll add it to my rotator, Smiley.

CaptainBeck

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:47:52 AM

Got you. If you do launch it again, and it's based on x time between claims, let me know and I'll add it to my rotator, Smiley.

Your rotator doesnt seem to what to move on after the first BTC facuet.
Mr Crabs

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:07:12 AM

I wasted too much time on faucets. I guess they can be profitable for the owners if you can get the hits and advertising though.
CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:16:08 AM

I wasted too much time on faucets. I guess they can be profitable for the owners if you can get the hits and advertising though.

Yeah, a massive waste of time for most people, at less than a penny for a min of work isnt worth anyones time.

Activity: 230

Come original.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:17:59 AM

Yeah, a massive waste of time for most people, at less than a penny for a min of work isnt worth anyones time.

Newbs are just naive and want to get their hands on some coins quickly.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:55:17 AM

I've been using a coinbase wallet for my faucet collection. If I were to open another account with coinbase and send my faucet earnings there, would I be hit with a transaction fee when I try to cash out? I have about .12 BTC in there. From what I understand coinbase to coinbase transactions have no fee. Would the .12 still be considered many small deposits or a full .12 deposit in the new account?
Mr Crabs

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:35:54 PM

I've been using a coinbase wallet for my faucet collection. If I were to open another account with coinbase and send my faucet earnings there, would I be hit with a transaction fee when I try to cash out? I have about .12 BTC in there. From what I understand coinbase to coinbase transactions have no fee. Would the .12 still be considered many small deposits or a full .12 deposit in the new account?

Pretty sure you would be.
CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:07:42 PM

Transaction fee is tiny, so i wouldnt worry about the pennies that the transaction cost.
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:30:33 PM

1) How do you get around the fees from the faucet sites?
2) Do you know how much hashing power do the few free CPUs on SSD CLoud give?
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:33:41 PM

I don't know anything about the profitability of faucets, but I would recommend only entering the Bitcoin faucet market if you have something neat to bring to the table. I dunno, some interesting marketing idea.

I imagine that it is quite hard to gain traction when there are so many already out there. I guess those that swear by faucets would use it.

One question: Do faucets only become profitable after a certain volume?

Zyborg

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:57:34 PM

Or maybe they're testing out their wallets, or just experiencing receiving bitcoins?
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:01:08 PM

Or maybe they're testing out their wallets, or just experiencing receiving bitcoins?

I recently checked out Dogecoin by using the faucets. Sure it's a massive waste of time for amassing coins, but it is a nice way to expose you to the crypto.

I learned nothing as I already have Bitcoin wallets, but it's plain to see how it can give newbies a buzz when they see their first coin being verified in the blockchain Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: