Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:54:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would any SCRYPT coins like to merge-mine with Dogecoin?  (Read 1412 times)
thatguy3 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:46:52 PM

Would any SCRYPT coins like to merge-mine with Dogecoin?

I know the Dogecoin devs are completely open to supporting this idea and are working with Tacocoin at the moment on this issue.

I am just here to bring up the topic for discussion. We just passed 0.5 TH/s of hashrate power globally between all the altcoins, and the potential for a 51% attack, however likely or unlikely, is increasing.

Here, in the entire thread, is a good discussion on merged mining from the creater of Litecoin:http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/22niq9/merged_mining_amafaq/

His comments in the thread are very informative.  This should answer most questions. You can even unmerge at a later point.

As for the questions of why merge mine with Dogecoin instead of Litecoin? That it totally up to the each coin's community to decide by weighing the potential of each coin and choose.  The Dogecoin community has discussed Litecoin's offer and has decided to a wait a few more halvings to make a final decision.

Would love to hear your opinions either way!
peacefulmind

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

Why would you wait?

If DOGE does have a problem, and gets the 51% some mean people want to do to the poor DOGE - then no pool is going to merge mine.

If DOGE merges with Litecoin now, it saves you from the terrible halvenings problem.  Basically DOGE overpaid the miners, no one will mine and no tips will be processed.

If you are merged with Litecoin now, Litecoin protects DOGE tipping forever.

Litecoin has nothing to worry about - Charles Lee - Coinbase, Warren Togami - created Fedora, Bobby Lee - on the Bitcoin Board of Directors and CEO of BTCChina.

Litecoin is assured - why would DOGE say no to this  Huh

And now you want to tie yourself to some crap scam like Tacocoin???  You could instead tie yourself to the #2 coin in market cap in the world.  This makes no sense.

Quote from: FrictionlessCoin
"I think you are to hung up on this notion about 'pre-mining' being a No-No."
- from journeys into the dark depths of the alt coin forum....
Raxe.io

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 08:47:02 PM

Merged mining is a great idea and can support DOGE to make sure it's future is bright.

Raxe.io / Example wallet: http://wallet.raxe.io
thatguy3 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:56:46 PM

Why would you wait?

If DOGE does have a problem, and gets the 51% some mean people want to do to the poor DOGE - then no pool is going to merge mine.

If DOGE merges with Litecoin now, it saves you from the terrible halvenings problem.  Basically DOGE overpaid the miners, no one will mine and no tips will be processed.

Litecoin has nothing to worry about - Charles Lee - Coinbase, Warren Togami - created Fedora, Bobby Lee - on the Bitcoin Board of Directors and CEO of BTCChina.

And now you want to tie yourself to some crap scam like Tacocoin???  You could instead tie yourself to the #2 coin in market cap in the world.  This makes no sense.

Completely valid points!

I do not speak for the community or devs and only have my personal opinions.

Here IS a quote from one of the devs at the time:

Merged mining with Litecoin (and thanks to Charlie Lee for the invitation, of course) would likely help us mitigate 51% attack risks, by merging our mining power together, however it would introduce what have so far been considered undue issues for our mining community. Specifically, merged mining would require significant changes to mining infrastructure, adopting either p2pool or a mining proxy. Many have raised concerns that LTC miners would simply dump DOGE; personally I believe we could have an LTC/DOGE swap doing in the p2pool layer to give each miner whichever coin they prefer, to mitigate this, so this is not a risk I consider a major issue. There are also concerns that we would always be the secondary coin to LTC; personally I’d have considered a pre-defined block at which we de-merge a requirement, but again this isn’t a route we’re taking, I am just going through the evaluation I have done for reference.

I am sure their opinions change daily with the state of the coin, so there is no point holding them to their opinions at the time.

Personally, there are pros and cons to merge mining, and ideally I would love to see Dogecoin make it on it's own, as that would mean hashrate/price would be at a good place.  The halving schedule really forces Dogecoin's hand and I think a decision will need to be made at some point.
peacefulmind

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:10:22 PM

Personally, there are pros and cons to merge mining, and ideally I would love to see Dogecoin make it on it's own, as that would mean hashrate/price would be at a good place.  The halving schedule really forces Dogecoin's hand and I think a decision will need to be made at some point.

This is what the reality is though for DOGE - it may not be what we like, but its what we have - this is also how DOGE took off so well, DOGE paid 100 years of mining fees to process transactions in 2 years.  Even if you don't get 51% by some miracle the network will slow to a crawl and no more tipping will get processed on time if at all.  

Coblee was super cool to offer this imho.  I would hate for all those new crypto people to lose everything because of a 51%.

Quote from: FrictionlessCoin
"I think you are to hung up on this notion about 'pre-mining' being a No-No."
- from journeys into the dark depths of the alt coin forum....
bassguitarman

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:31:48 PM

Why would you wait?

First of all, i dispute the fact that you think taco is a scam, but in this case doge is the parent coin, and taco is the aux, when it would be the oppisite with ltc
bitzcointalk

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

My avatar is in the shop

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:53:11 AM

Merged Mining, Great Idea !!!!. Its all about the security of the network right.
There is not allowed to be anything else in the world that hashes sha1024... stock pilling, waiting to be re-purposed to potentially dangerous 51% attack.
No Sir No.

This idea secures sha1024.
All coins should switch to being merge-mined. Simple code change is it not?

Stable Secure networks For All !!!!

Someone should post directions + I heard a rumor that the Parent coin (LTC) needs to do something special to the block chain?
Not sure.
We would all love some directions. Can someone post directions please?
We want to see Merged Mining Boosting all our networks hash-rate to the Moooon !!!!

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:57:59 AM

Merged Mining, Great Idea !!!!. Its all about the security of the network right.
There is not allowed to be anything else in the world that hashes sha1024... stock pilling, waiting to be re-purposed to potentially dangerous 51% attack.
No Sir No.

This idea secures sha1024.
All coins should switch to being merge-mined. Simple code change is it not?

Stable Secure networks For All !!!!

Someone should post directions + I heard a rumor that the Parent coin (LTC) needs to do something special to the block chain?
Not sure.
We would all love some directions. Can someone post directions please?
We want to see Merged Mining Boosting all our networks hash-rate to the Moooon !!!!

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
bajlox

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:07:36 AM

I think that this is good idea to merge with DOGE.
I would be more effect and maybe good price when all SCRYPT were on one multi.

This is only my opinion

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:15:30 PM

This is only my opinion

It's already happend.. I still don't get it though lol.  Do I get Doge if I mine LTC or it only works the other way where I get LTC for mining doge..?

IMO everyone overestimated miners greed and widly widly WIDLY underestimated miners love for a coin.

I use several of my miners to help secure my fav small altcoin.  IDGAF if I am making zero on the coins and actually losing $ on electricity.. This is not the only purpose of a miner...

We have yet to see the potential of miners used as weapons though so this may have been a good idea..
jawitech

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:24:37 PM

This is only my opinion

It's already happend.. I still don't get it though lol.  Do I get Doge if I mine LTC or it only works the other way where I get LTC for mining doge..?

IMO everyone overestimated miners greed and widly widly WIDLY underestimated miners love for a coin.

I use several of my miners to help secure my fav small altcoin.  IDGAF if I am making zero on the coins and actually losing $ on electricity.. This is not the only purpose of a miner...

We have yet to see the potential of miners used as weapons though so this may have been a good idea..

At multipool.us you get Litecoins as well as Dogecoins. I guess other pools providing merged mining doing it the same way.

I like this possibility and would also like to see this with other coins, too.
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:28:22 PM

Infinitecoin should. Contact Tecshare.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=15728

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: