Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:15:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: closest choice: ex. Option 1, told one person, they do not yet understand bitcoin. - this is not saying they won't some day soon understand it.
told 1 person / they don't get it. - 2 (13.3%)
told 1 person / 1 person gets it - 0 (0%)
told 5 / 1 person interested - 4 (26.7%)
told 5 / 4 they all get it! - 2 (13.3%)
10 / 2 they gave me a tinfoil hat - 3 (20%)
10 / 8 they bring me coffee - 2 (13.3%)
20 / 5 pounding the pavement, it's a game of numbers - 1 (6.7%)
told 20 people / 15 all aboard the bitcoin express - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll] Number of people you tell about bitcoin - vs - how many are interested ?  (Read 790 times)
BitDreams (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 02:42:56 AM

Polling to help gauge the fuel for the next rally. 10 votes so you can keep it updated, please spend carefully.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 02:49:43 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 03:00:24 AM by Chef Ramsay

Almost none of the people I talk to about it recognize any of the stateless functions of it just that it could be the payment system of the future. Many are aware of the price swings so at minimum, it's on the radar of plenty and will likely get their attention next time the news makes the rounds on the coinage (per price uptick).
BitDreams (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 02:50:58 AM

3% maybe?
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:03:59 AM

Family members and two extended family members, and 1 neighbor vicariously through one family member.

Response:

Family Member 1 - Oh bitcom? Yeah, they just went out of business! They're gone. I wouldn't give them my money!
Neighbor for above - They're a scam! The owner went bankrupt! Stay away! It's a scam!
Family Member 2 - I'm happy with my bank.
Family Member 3 - Fuck bitcoin. Scammers. You'll lose your ass.
Family Member 4 - What?
Family Member 5 - Man, you better stay away from that shit...it's Illuminai funny money.
Extended Family Member 1 - I've heard of it, I'll look into it later, sounds interesting. I definitely want to talk more about it (returned attention to Two & A Half Men; month & 1/2 later, no conversations)
Extended Family Member - I've heard about it, read a little on it, but been so busy I haven't gotten back to it. What do you think?

Family Member 1 and I talked and I explained more about it just after 3 or 4 days crash course studying it all.

Family Member 1 - Well I'd like a way to protect my money. Looks like something we should research more. Let me know what you find out.

Me - pffft, bite me.

Take away - two were clueless and humoring me the entire time, as if I was trying to add them to my vitamin sales downline (which is so pitiful considering they were heavy into the vitamin pyramid thing in the 90s trying to get me to join that nutty shit they made $0 with). Two were clueless and indifferent.

I really want to move and have a different family. Any takers?  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
kthejung

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:09:33 AM

I've talk to about 15 people about bitcoins:

1 is highly interested in making money off it but have not bought any yet.  

2 people think it's a ponzi scheme.

2 more people think that it's above their understanding.

about 3 people think that it's interesting and have some understanding of it, but see no reason to buy or use any yet.

my roommate is highly skeptical and wants me to show him "proof" that he can make money off of it.  Basically, he will only invest if I can "guarantee" a profit.  Sorry dude, investments don't work like that.

the other 6 people completely zoned out to an alternate universe as soon as the word "bitcoin" was spoken and did not really hear anything until the topic was switched.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 03:24:37 AM

Told my friends, family, at least got my wife to buy a Bitcoin.  Tough sledding so far.

Only people that I meet that are in Crypto already, really have any enthusiasm for it.

I'm telling you, you have to be a special type of asshole to be in Bitcoin whether speculating, promoting, mining, coding, doing business.

Almost feels like I'm in a cult or a member of one of those nerdy clubs at school where there's only like 5 members.

But that's not a negative thing.  These things take time.  Growth is underway, and adoption is slow but growing.

The main thing is the underlying technology.  That's what drew me more than anything else.

Hopefully BTC takes off in the mainstream world, so I can be the most popular guy to talk to amongst my family and peers.   Tongue

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:31:22 AM

i've managed to convert only 1 guy, but i haven't told many people. he actually bought a miner. the other 4 or 5 people i told about 1 year ago gave me the response you'd expect: "wtf that's not even real money." it's okay though, i don't feel the need to evangelize people. there's no need to stuff it down someone's throat.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 03:33:24 AM

I host "Bitcoin Parties" at my house where I show some funny and some educational videos, and give everyone some BTC to go home with at the end of the night. Fairly successful so far, at least getting people thinking about it and learning to use Bitcoin at a basic enough level to buy shit with that $20 in BTC.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:34:07 AM

I have talked to a dozen of persons about bitcoin, about 50% of them were interested in bitcoin, mainly thinking they could get some easy money from it. Sad

RUEHL

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:23:17 PM

I think you need to know the fundamental problems with a FIAT based economy to be receptive to Bitcoin.  Most aren't or live too comfy to research those issues.  The speculators that only see it from a money making scheme think it's too late to speculate on the upside.

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
Bitcoiner_cph

Activity: 160

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:49:27 PM

I have told alot of people about bitcoins, most if not all except one are very skeptical... i find it very frustrating that I cant convince people of bitcoins revolutionary properties and that most people take distance when I talk about bitcoins.

I myself dont have any dount Bitcoin is an very well funcionating currency and I love that its not owned or controlled by an central authoruty. But I am tired of getting labeled as an outsider becourse I am infact more inteligent in the matter of currency then most other people.

Any advize on how to deal with the situation??

KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:50:33 PM

I've told a lot of people, I made a speech in one of my classes during last summer. Some people liked it, none new about it yet.

Tarpon Springs, Florida.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:59:52 PM

0 people, 0 of them got interested. I know they won't be interested anyway, otherwise they would be already on bitcoin
hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 02:48:23 PM

LOL. every man is interested while every women gets pissed of by listening about btc.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:20:48 PM

Being on multiple forum on the internet, I have been stunned to see how people criticize bitcoin !!! A few shots...

1. Bitcoin is fundamentally broken !!!

2. Even after Mt. Gox how do u talk about Bitcoin again ?

3. Bitcoin is a great ploy of scammers ...Stay Away.

4. (At a Bitcoin meetup) So its a secret meetup ? Are you sure no one is watching us ?

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

30 individuals = 0 interest... but they don't know the 3D secure, too ... so ... noob people !
Hashforfun

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

I can't vote but sadly If you tell to people about bitcoin they are rarely interested. Basically only those are interested that find about bitcoin their selfs and other people just don't care about It , like they use FIAT money and have other things to do than fanatically seek the bitcoin price and invest In BTC. Most people go with the mass, like : "all people are using FIAT money and It's popular so I am too".
Psynpase

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:19:11 PM

My parents, brothers and friends were the easiest since I introduced them to Seals with Clubs. We are all poker players and unable to play for real money in my home country so bitcoin was a natural fit in my household. I have a couple friends who have purchased bitcoin from me for various other reasons, most to speculate on other alternate cryptos. I find casually discussing bitcoin to strangers or peers is not productive and the conversation always ends up with me refuting arguments invented from sheer ignorance.

I remember being against facebook when I first heard about it so I can understand why some people are against bitcoin. It's easier to hope the technology goes away so you don't need to learn how to use it. Come to think of it I am still against FB  Smiley.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:47:37 PM

Tell 3 friends, 1 gets on the express for good, another is vaguely interested, the last one associates it with being stolen 100% and that people will take it for drugs. The last one also knows barley anything about Bitcoin except for what they hear on the news.

Friend brings it up with another fellow, he says "What if they get stolen" I ask "You mean Mt. Gox?" I proceed to explain how Mt. Gox never had it's origins in Bitcoin, he continues "I mean the 500 BTC that was stolen in <exchange name>."

I sit there, dumbfound and bewildered for about 3 seconds, mentally comparing the loss of 600,000 to 500, but then he has to go, so I never finished explaining.

Professor sparks conversation in class about Bitcoin, attention gets diverted to me, and I explain everything there is to explain. Next thing I hear is "Drugs."

I'm not going to go into the rest of the conversation.

Tell parents, they view it as "All illicit activity and it was made to be illegal" and all that bullcrap. I explain why it isn't 100% made for that, parents (Specifically father) won't believe it. Still won't believe me, after gave him 12 different sources explaining where Bitcoin gets its value. Gets reply "It comes from drugs!"

A honestly crappy example he gave me is "Think of two drug dealers, one with a pound of weed and another with a pound of cocaine. Why doesn't one say 'Instead of smuggling our drugs to each other and possibly getting caught, why don't we use Bitcoin!'" Actual quote.

That was the best argument he had. "Hey, how about take a physical thing and force it into the internet under a cool name and 3D print it with plastic on the other side! Then we destroy the coins and act like nothing happened! We sent the drugs to each other, all through a digital system! See, it really isn't hard to stuff drugs into my computer and then they miraculously become Bitcoin, then send it to you! I got your cocaine and you got my weed! Bitcoin works!" Is another way of explaining what he said.

Eventually other news came up, and I won the argument as my dad cannot counter what I was saying. He mopes about the loss, and won't talk about Bitcoin.

Ironically, my parents say "Don't always listen to the media" when in that same case, THEY WERE JUST REPEATING NEWS THEY HEARD OR READ, AND I FOUND THE EXACT SOURCES THAT DAY.

Friend's parent (The one I got into Bitcoin), regurgitates the Flexcoin exchange news. I eventually convince them otherwise.

Bitcoin comes up in another class a week after, and about 7 people ask me about Bitcoin (Specifically mining). I told them, they seemed interested, but I don't know how many of them actually started anything.

Sorry about choppy writing, I'm overtired.

Honestly, no-one accepts it where I am. I still actively push for it to this day, and it is slowly gaining momentum, but everyone seems to claim they know stuff and they are right or they have their own opinion and anything that doesn't fall under their opinion's belief is non-existent. This is the case of my father.

So, can anyone disprove what my father was saying? Other than just me?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: