Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:16:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To mine to you need to be always connected online?  (Read 1291 times)
jimbo77 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 02:54:04 PM

Subject pretty much ask what I was wondering. Is it possible to just connect every so often or does a miner have to be always online?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 02:55:19 PM

Subject pretty much ask what I was wondering. Is it possible to just connect every so often or does a miner have to be always online?
You have to be always online.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 03:26:33 PM

You have to be online to continually receive new transactions.  If you generate a block with missing transactions, it will be rejected by the network.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
jimbo77 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 03:27:28 PM

Ah thanks guys. Look's like I'm out luck!  Cry
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 03:37:24 PM

You have to be online to continually receive new transactions.  If you generate a block with missing transactions, it will be rejected by the network.

I assumed you want to be online to get notification of what the latest successful block is so you can chain to it. The block you want to chain to changes at any time, on average once every 10 minutes.

I thought you can choose to not include some transactions, hence the need for fees. Am i wrong here?
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 06:03:57 PM

I assumed you want to be online to get notification of what the latest successful block is so you can chain to it. The block you want to chain to changes at any time, on average once every 10 minutes.

I thought you can choose to not include some transactions, hence the need for fees. Am i wrong here?

In this case Cryptoman is wrong. You don't have to include ANY transactions, but if you are not working on the latest block it will not be accepted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: