Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:38:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks owner)Steps In It With Racial Comments  (Read 495 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:32:19 PM

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has come under fire for comments he made at Inc.'s GrowCo conference in Nashville on Wednesday. In light of the Donald Sterling saga, Cuban talked about prejudice. He said he had to fight against internalizing stereotypes and that "none of us have complete pure thoughts," via the Sporting News:

“I also try not to be a hypocrite. I know I'm prejudiced. I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways,” he said. “I've said this before. If I see a black kid in a hoodie at night on the same side of the street, I'm probably going to walk to other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos, I'm going back to the other side of the street. If I see anybody that looks threatening, and I try not to, but part of me takes into account race and gender and image. I'm prejudiced. Other than for safety issues, I try to always catch my prejudices and be very self-aware.”

Cuban later recounted a story from the 1960s when his uncle served as a superintendent in the Washington, D.C., area. He recalled sitting down with his uncle and being told that everyone was equal, and it was never acceptable to treat people differently based on their creed, race, gender or ethnicity. At the same time, though, it did not mean that certain negative thoughts won't appear from time to time
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24569765/mark-cuban-on-race-and-bigotry-none-of-us-have-complete-pure-thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFs462MvXc
Anyone think he'll get the Sterling treatment? And, does anyone take any serious offense to this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:45:09 PM

the media, like you, will take this out of context. his point was that it's not necessarily about race, but how one presents themselves.. that's why he referenced the white guy in the same manner that he did the black guy.

if i encounter a black guy with gold teef, a tank top and a gat by his waist, i won't want to meet him.. it's not because he's black, but because he looks like a bad guy. same thing with a white, hispanic, or asian dude.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:45:32 PM

.... If I see a white guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos, I'm going back to the other side of the street.

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:54:43 PM

the media, like you, will take this out of context.
Grin I was just trying to get a reaction but yeah, I totally get where he's coming from and would think similarly in a related scenario. Except, I've been around a lot of these types of whites and blacks and usually know how to handle each situation as I do it for a living. As someone who maybe doesn't encounter too many of these situations I could see how one would want to look or go the other way to avoid them. Self preservation is what it is.
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:25:28 AM

People are born prejudice. Denying it doesn't help.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:29:30 AM

.... If I see a white guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos, I'm going back to the other side of the street.

He was trying to neutralize his first part of the statement with this one.  Grin

The NBA will not do anything, because they don't have the balls to touch Mark Cuban. Grin
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:00:42 AM

Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin family

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban apologized Thursday to Trayvon Martin’s family over his choice of words in a videotaped interview in which he addressed bigotry and prejudice.

Cuban even revealed some of his own prejudices in the interview with Inc. magazine, and said he believes everyone has “prejudices and bigotries” on some level. But after his words — which came with the NBA still dealing with the fallout over racist remarks made by now-banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling — created a stir in social media and other circles, Cuban took to Twitter to offer his apology.

“In hindsight I should have used different examples,” Cuban wrote. “I didn’t consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that.”

Cuban also said he stands by the substance of the interview.

http://news.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-apologizes-trayvon-martin-family-212830370--spt.html

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:32:28 AM

This can spiral in to something big....

Mark Cuban apologizes for 'hoodie' comment

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/05/22/mark-cuban-apology-race-trayvon-martin-nba/9456125
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:39:55 PM

The bottom line aside from all these comments is that most people don't like ghetto looking or acting people irrespective of skin coloring. Problem is the race card is always brought in from the middle of the deck (easily found since it's worn after regular use) so it's hard to put into words that which is meant to either change behavior or ostracize.
beetcoin

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:05:59 PM

yeah i think people are generally too extreme. either you are hypersensitive to the race issue, or you're just a hardcore racist. words are just words.. when it comes into action and someone is disenfranchised, then that's true racism.
master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:42:29 PM

A person in a hoodie is not the same as one covered in tattoos. People who are covered in lots of tattoos have greatly altered their appearance to an extreme, whereas wearing a hoodie is no big deal. I wear hoodies a lot because it's convenient in bad weather; I can flip the hood on and put my hands in the big pocket to keep them warm. I get stopped by the cops all the time and asked for my ID, all because an article of clothing. Cuban's words don't bother me in the least, nor does a person who sees me and crosses the street. But when I get stopped for no reason time and again by cops who think I'm some sort of 'gangsta/thug/tough guy, etc', it's really annoying and unfair.

It's true that there are many instances where people do something wrong and when they get called out for it, they make it a race issue, but there are many times where the opposite is true as well.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:23:03 PM

I especially enjoyed J.A. Andande's take on the issue.  While I may disagree with his sloppy HIV vs AIDS analogy as a biologist, and the citation of a reparations article, I think his overall message should be the ultimate takeaway from this whole situation. Action is what matters.  As a society we spend far too much time quibbling over making sure we are politically correct in speech, when essentially, talk is meaningless.    

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10972668/mark-cuban-candid-take-race-prejudice
beetcoin

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:55:44 PM

I especially enjoyed J.A. Andande's take on the issue.  While I may disagree with his sloppy HIV vs AIDS analogy as a biologist, and the citation of a reparations article, I think his overall message should be the ultimate takeaway from this whole situation. Action is what matters.  As a society we spend far too much time quibbling over making sure we are politically correct in speech, when essentially, talk is meaningless.    

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10972668/mark-cuban-candid-take-race-prejudice

yeah that is the gist of what i agree with/said. of course racism is bad, but i don't think people question enough about why and how it is bad.. they are quick to point fingers. it's more about someone's intention than the raw words that come out of their mouths.. everything should be taken contextually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: