Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:17:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm curious...  (Read 762 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:44:33 PM

Do you think it would be possible to "organize" a rally?  Or a sell-off, could go either way.

If you started several threads, calling everyone to buy "all-in" on, say, Feb 1st, to make an artificial rally, would it happen?

It's hard to say... I mean, some people might do it, which means other people would be interested in doing it as well to "catch the wave", so to speak.  It could compound to the point where lots of people end up buying in on Feb 1st.  But then, probably just as quickly, people would sell, because they knew it was an artificial rally and they knew that others would sell as well.

But, if all of this is known in advance, wouldn't people take that in to account in today's trading price?  I mean, if I know there's going to be a rally on Feb 1st, wouldn't I want to buy a day or two early, to ensure that I get the lowest possible buy-in price?

If you have a lot of money, you could state that you plan to buy 50,000 coins on Feb 1st in the hope of starting an artificial rally.  You'll also state that you won't buy them all at once, but have various buy orders throughout the day (so that no one can tell when you bought and dump their own coins right after they see the purchase).  But then again, people would probably buy early, then try to sell in the middle of the day when they think it will go no higher, pushing the price back down.

So, is it not possible to start an artificial rally?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Do you think it would be possible to "organize" a rally?  Or a sell-off, could go either way.

If you started several threads, calling everyone to buy "all-in" on, say, Feb 1st, to make an artificial rally, would it happen?

It's hard to say... I mean, some people might do it, which means other people would be interested in doing it as well to "catch the wave", so to speak.  It could compound to the point where lots of people end up buying in on Feb 1st.  But then, probably just as quickly, people would sell, because they knew it was an artificial rally and they knew that others would sell as well.

But, if all of this is known in advance, wouldn't people take that in to account in today's trading price?  I mean, if I know there's going to be a rally on Feb 1st, wouldn't I want to buy a day or two early, to ensure that I get the lowest possible buy-in price?

If you have a lot of money, you could state that you plan to buy 50,000 coins on Feb 1st in the hope of starting an artificial rally.  You'll also state that you won't buy them all at once, but have various buy orders throughout the day (so that no one can tell when you bought and dump their own coins right after they see the purchase).  But then again, people would probably buy early, then try to sell in the middle of the day when they think it will go no higher, pushing the price back down.

So, is it not possible to start an artificial rally?

The game is to rape the economy, not artificially inflate it..   

Get your game straight.. Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 07:47:48 PM

I will be buying 50,000 Bitcoins in the next hour.

Sporadically.

Get in or lose.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:49:53 PM

Sporadically.

Get in or lose.

or  watch...
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 07:52:53 PM

Sporadically.

Get in or lose.

LOL, that made me laugh.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: