Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:41:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for testers  (Read 4596 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 06:02:20 PM

wallet is always wiped and always encrypted on the disk using a default pwd "" (if no pwd set)

i'll be aware of futur bitcoin changes, it can still be used safely as simple client (well except it's a beta for the moment but it's not the same problem)
i think bd is more restrictive than bc, it should not accept a tx that is rejected by bc
so i could tests it with bitcoin client and check if it is accepted

If you ever reject a block that Bitcoin accepts, then you'll permanently end up on a different chain.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tombc (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2011, 06:56:31 PM

minor differences would be fixed quickly, and chains automatically merged
one good point is that it could detect irregular tx that try to use an exploit in bitcoin client

but that problem is only for users that try to solve blocks, and solving blocks with bd is really not effecient
at all
toddbethell

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 11:52:36 PM

Angry
This Bitdollar wallet never received the 5BTC sent to it from MyBitcoin.
It seemed to install ok, connect, download blocks… 24hrs later, still no coins.
Computer did a windows restart then application and wallet was gone.
Reinstalled was reinstalled but a hard drive search of the previous wallet turned up nothing.
 Huh
A bigger question is: how can I get my bitcoins back if they are sent to non-existent or corrupted wallet?
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2011, 12:34:23 AM

Angry
This Bitdollar wallet never received the 5BTC sent to it from MyBitcoin.
It seemed to install ok, connect, download blocks… 24hrs later, still no coins.
Computer did a windows restart then application and wallet was gone.
Reinstalled was reinstalled but a hard drive search of the previous wallet turned up nothing.
 Huh
A bigger question is: how can I get my bitcoins back if they are sent to non-existent or corrupted wallet?

If the wallet is gone forever so are the coins....sorry.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
tombc (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2011, 01:43:25 AM

as said without wallet, coins are lost
if wallet file is corrupted, i can take a look into it to move the address contained into another wallet

a backup of the wallet can be done safely but new address created won't be in the backup wallet
that's why bd give the choice to the user to create a new address for the change or not, creating new
address make your transaction less traceable, but force user to rebackup his wallet

bd creates a temp backup of the wallet before updating it, if computer restart
when the program is writing into the wallet, the temp backup file should be here
the file name is something like : youwalletfilename.XXXXX.bak (where XXXX are numbers)

but if both application and wallet was gone, maybe an external program erased them

do you have the destination address that should have received the btc? i will check the transaction in the block
if you rescue your wallet but coins are not still received, i'll take a look into it
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 09:53:48 PM

Impressive work.

BTW: Your beta version builds fine in Linux after a trivial change to bitdollar.pro.  I haven't tested it yet on the network, though.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
jrutila

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:12:39 PM

I am also trying this on linux. Actually the trivial change to the pro file is
Code:
LIBS += -L/usr/lib/libssl.a

You should really set up a git repository for this project so that others can contribute.
tombc (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 04:16:47 PM

due to lack of interest for this implementation i haven't worked a lot on it
i have added sighash and script support, but scripts are not yet handled exactly like bitcoin does
since i used my own big integer implementation, instead of the openssl big integer (minor issue)
this is only a problem for those who would like to solve blocks, but none tried afaik

no problem noticed using b$ as simple client, except the main view which display too much informations on transactions

for the moment i'm focusing on the bitdollar protocol (very different by design), but if i feel
more interest in the bitcoin implementation, i'll rework it
darbsllim

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 09:37:09 AM

Can the coins really be gone forever?

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 09:45:46 AM

Can the coins really be gone forever?

Technically, the coins are still there in the database and if you knew the public address you could look them up on the block explorer.

But it would be like staring at the blue fairy through 9 feet of ice ... you could never spend them because the private key that is needed to transfer them is what has actually been lost, deleted or otherwise rendered inaccessible by your wallet.dat file mishap.

darbsllim

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:22:04 AM

So if someone with a lot of bitcoin were to delete all those accounts, could new bitcoins be created, or would there be less that many bitcoins in the system forever?

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:38:40 AM

So if someone with a lot of bitcoin were to delete all those accounts, could new bitcoins be created, or would there be less that many bitcoins in the system forever?

... the second option.

They can not really "delete those accounts" but more that they could delete the private keys that give them access to those accounts, for all intents and purposes those coins are locked out of circulation without the private keys.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: