Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:07:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could the forum benefit from a bot?  (Read 1561 times)
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:22:09 PM

If the new forum software succeeds, I think one of the best features possible would be a bot. This bot should do some important tasks:
  • Assist in auctions. A topic in the auctions section can be put to bot control by the thread starter. The owner sets some parameters, and all posters below must comply with the rules. The bot periodically maintains a list of highest bidders.
  • Keep topics clean and on-topic. If the tone of a topic goes too negative, with an increasing amount of insulting or offensive words, or a rapid decrease in post length, or a rapid increase in quote pyramid size, or any other measurable indicator of topic "dirtyness", the bot steps in and reminds users to be clean. It should also report overly offensive posts.
  • Help newbies. After anyone posts a new topic, the bot should search for fuzzy matches or keywords in the forum. If one or multiple of significant relevance is found, the bot may post a post containing links to the old topics.
  • Perform basic moderation. If a post is a complete duplicate of the previous post, or contains 3 letters or less, it can be assumed that the post was useless and the bot should delete it and send a PM to the user which created the post. If a post looks like a spam-bot, the bot reports (not deletes) the post to the moderators.
  • Post news. News from respected news sites such as Bitcoinmedia is reposted by the bot, which also provides a list of similar news stories if applicable.
  • Update speculation. The bot provides the latest updates when giant swings occur, with detailed information in the posts. When requested, the bot replys with bitcoincharts.com, bitcoinica, or other chart website charts in a thread (e.g. "Can someone post the 3-month SMA?", etc.).
There are obviously many, many other purposes for such a bot, and those are only suggestions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:23:48 AM

The only use-case I've found for a bot so far is automatically fixing quotes. You don't know how often this happens:

This...
Quote from: user2
Quote from: user1
hi!
Sup!
then gets quoted as this:

hi!
Sup!
[/quote]

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:25:08 AM

The only use-case I've found for a bot so far is automatically fixing quotes. You don't know how often this happens:

This...
hi!
Sup!

hi!
Sup!
[/quote]

It then spreads virally to all future quotes.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:40:48 AM

This...
hi!
Sup!

hi!
Sup!

[/quote]

+1
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 01:41:54 AM

This...
hi!
[/quote]
Sup!
[/quote]

hi!
[/quote]
Sup!
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

+1

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:44:07 AM

This...
hi!
Sup!
[/quote]

hi!
[/quote]
Sup!
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]
you broke it!

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
moocow1452

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

Don't mind me.

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Uh oh.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:10:43 PM

Someone bring that damn bot to this thread because it is in desperate need of the bitcointalk bot Tongue
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

If the new forum software succeeds, I think one of the best features possible would be a bot. This bot should do some important tasks:
  • Assist in auctions. A topic in the auctions section can be put to bot control by the thread starter. The owner sets some parameters, and all posters below must comply with the rules. The bot periodically maintains a list of highest bidders.
  • Keep topics clean and on-topic. If the tone of a topic goes too negative, with an increasing amount of insulting or offensive words, or a rapid decrease in post length, or a rapid increase in quote pyramid size, or any other measurable indicator of topic "dirtyness", the bot steps in and reminds users to be clean. It should also report overly offensive posts.
  • Help newbies. After anyone posts a new topic, the bot should search for fuzzy matches or keywords in the forum. If one or multiple of significant relevance is found, the bot may post a post containing links to the old topics.
  • Perform basic moderation. If a post is a complete duplicate of the previous post, or contains 3 letters or less, it can be assumed that the post was useless and the bot should delete it and send a PM to the user which created the post. If a post looks like a spam-bot, the bot reports (not deletes) the post to the moderators.
  • Post news. News from respected news sites such as Bitcoinmedia is reposted by the bot, which also provides a list of similar news stories if applicable.
  • Update speculation. The bot provides the latest updates when giant swings occur, with detailed information in the posts. When requested, the bot replys with bitcoincharts.com, bitcoinica, or other chart website charts in a thread (e.g. "Can someone post the 3-month SMA?", etc.).
There are obviously many, many other purposes for such a bot, and those are only suggestions.

No.

If you are not able to moderate your own posts then you are too simple to communicate in the company of intelligent people. Conversely, if postings by others cause you so much distress that you need an automated system to make it comfortable for you, then you are too lazy to communicate with informed people, and should be banned for your ignorance.

By the numbers-

Auctions. They are a massive waste of effort and a pointless exercise. They are only posted by a limited cadre of hardcore spammers. Who gives a damn, and why should anyone lift a finger to enable a single damn thing for their commercial waste of my time.

Dirtiness- (note the spelling!) How juvenile. You want an automated system to clean up offensive posts? WTF? FTW! Your offensive is my gentle caution, which set of rules will the bot use? If I tell you this is a stupid idea is that offensive, or do I have to go to this is a really f*cking stupid idea?

Help newbies- what you are proposing is automatic necro-thread management. Sure, just what a forum needs, every n00b will trigger every topic that is long dead and gone coming back to the top of the rotation. That is so far beyond stupid it belies description, and it is completely antithetical to the concept of a dynamic forum that grows over time. If a n00b needs to find an old topic, there is a lovely search box ^^ that they can use for that purpose. If they can't figure that out they are probably so stupid they require a bot to remind them to wipe their asses.

Basic moderation- that's just absurd. You would replace +1 with a mandatory statement, and have a set of rules decide what is worth leaving up? With auto-abuse of the OP service added for good measure. You must live in a very, very bleak world that needs such domination just to be able to communicate.

Post news- oh goody! Now served pure and continuous spam from those sites that YOU determine are respected. What if I like to get my news from nunsinbondage.org or solidcoinblowsmonkeys.com? Would those be respected? Would the majority of users need to have automatic posts from them force-fed to them?

Update speculation- you are clearly the laziest sod in creation. You need a bot to go and find information that sits at your fingertips and package it before spoon feeding it to you? What if I corrupt that bot and feed you erroneous sell signals and destroy your fortune? What if I give you  wild swing news when there isn't any? You and the rest of the brain-dead lemmings would take action only to whine and ask for a bot to recover your lost wealth the next morning.

Many, many suggestions- please stop right there. This is one of the best collections of epic fail I have ever encountered online. Your time would be far better spent developing a bot that will protect you from posting such remarkably embarrassingly bad ideas in a public forum.
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 10:43:28 PM

If you are not able to moderate your own posts then you are too simple to communicate in the company of intelligent people. Conversely, if postings by others cause you so much distress that you need an automated system to make it comfortable for you, then you are too lazy to communicate with informed people, and should be banned for your ignorance.

By the numbers-

Auctions. They are a massive waste of effort and a pointless exercise. They are only posted by a limited cadre of hardcore spammers. Who gives a damn, and why should anyone lift a finger to enable a single damn thing for their commercial waste of my time.

Dirtiness- (note the spelling!) How juvenile. You want an automated system to clean up offensive posts? WTF? FTW! Your offensive is my gentle caution, which set of rules will the bot use? If I tell you this is a stupid idea is that offensive, or do I have to go to this is a really f*cking stupid idea?

Help newbies- what you are proposing is automatic necro-thread management. Sure, just what a forum needs, every n00b will trigger every topic that is long dead and gone coming back to the top of the rotation. That is so far beyond stupid it belies description, and it is completely antithetical to the concept of a dynamic forum that grows over time. If a n00b needs to find an old topic, there is a lovely search box ^^ that they can use for that purpose. If they can't figure that out they are probably so stupid they require a bot to remind them to wipe their asses.

Basic moderation- that's just absurd. You would replace +1 with a mandatory statement, and have a set of rules decide what is worth leaving up? With auto-abuse of the OP service added for good measure. You must live in a very, very bleak world that needs such domination just to be able to communicate.

Post news- oh goody! Now served pure and continuous spam from those sites that YOU determine are respected. What if I like to get my news from nunsinbondage.org or solidcoinblowsmonkeys.com? Would those be respected? Would the majority of users need to have automatic posts from them force-fed to them?

Update speculation- you are clearly the laziest sod in creation. You need a bot to go and find information that sits at your fingertips and package it before spoon feeding it to you? What if I corrupt that bot and feed you erroneous sell signals and destroy your fortune? What if I give you  wild swing news when there isn't any? You and the rest of the brain-dead lemmings would take action only to whine and ask for a bot to recover your lost wealth the next morning.
First, thanks for actually responding with a useful post.

I disagree that certain posts, especially ones which are 3 characters or less, can be useful. Most often, these are simply spam "+1" or "-1" posts, which achieve nothing. If the OP wished to allow users to make that choice, they would have made a poll instead.

Dirtiness is purely subjective, as you state. However, certain words are nearly in English unambuigiously offencive. The phrases GTFO, STFU, or their full forms are rarely if ever used in contructive arguments, and if found in short posts is almost certainly offencive. Such a bot would not delete the posts in question, but rather remind the users that the topic is not a flame-war.

If posts become progressively shorter, this is a good indication that the tone of the thread has become more negative. The bot suggests to place more thought into those posts, but does not interfere with the actual conversation.

Most people in this forum will admit they have not exactly been friendly to newbies. My first post to this forum was completely ignored, even though I had already poured in hours of research into finding a solution. A bot will be able to at least list posts which may have some relevance, and can encourage the forum members to be friendlier with their responses.

As for posting news, how is a bot doing it any different from a human?

And as for updating speculation, the speculation forum goes abuzz whenever a spike or swing occurs. A bot will be able to detect and report this in real time. Other than increased overhead, I don't see a problem with this approach.

Finally, I did read this part:
No.
Remember that these are just suggestions, and bots can be useful in thousands of additional ways.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 11:28:21 PM

You are welcome, and thank you for your gracious response.

Please don't construe my ad hominem attack on the hypothetical user needed this bot as being aimed at you. I disagree to the very core of the issue that a bot such as you describe would have a value. News can be gathered when desired, automated feeds become worthless bandwidth consumption to me. As to providing tools to the typical new user, these mechanisms are available, standardized, and really not worthy of automation. The rules of etiquette (regardless of how often I trample them) are available, the FAQs are plentiful, stickied and easy to use, and as to friendliness, I am probably just as guilty as the next curmudgeon of not being welcoming, but I don't think the answer is in making it automatic, and I certainly don't think it needs to be universal. The tools you describe might have great value for a board where active participation is required from the beginning, here a mandatory lurking period is enforced, and an opportune time to read, reflect and learn. Spoon feeding them predigested topics would not benefit the dialogue, I suspect it would mire us in continuously rehashing the same debates. Do we need to re-discuss that MyBitCoin is a scam, investing in Polish bitwallets is a bad idea, or that RS doesn't release open source? I would prefer not, if only to keep a regular review of the topics manageable, and worthy contributions to the discussion possible without having to wade through ad nauseum repetition to get to any nuggets of value.

Perhaps I suffer from terminal potty mouth, but sometimes a GTFO or STFU abbreviated or in excelsius gloria spelled out can be an expedient and direct response to the topic at hand. A spammish looking +1 can convey agreement without repeating the topic under consideration, and serves as an immediate poll without the silliness of choosing suitably ironic options for a thread-topping poll that force the results to support your hypothesis.

But considering that the generous bounty for changing the software here has been untouched for as long as it has, and this limping train wreck of a forum software at least allows us to communicate reasonably well, it might not ever.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 02:36:52 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2012, 05:19:42 PM by BadBear

There could be some uses for a bot so it's an interesting discussion, but I just don't like any of the ideas in the OP.  

My personal opinions.
Assist in auctions.
I don't think the forum should do this, it just causes potential liability issues down the line. This should be on the userbase to do, by creating new businesses, or a Heatware (www.heatware.com, with some anonymity features/pgp built in) type website maybe? There is the WoT I suppose, but it could be more more user friendly and accessible.  

Help newbies.

There are plenty of sources out there, a sticky does this best. While it sounds cool in theory, a bot would probably just end up spamming posts with links that may or may not be relevant, end up annoying people who see it over and over, and end up on ignore lists anyway. Could end up suppressing discussion in the end.

Keep topics clean and on-topic.
Perform basic moderation.
+1/-1 posts aren't generally deleted unless it's in a sticky thread/necromancy, and I don't think a bot would be able to separate off topic well enough to be trusted. I think a better solution to this would just be more moderators if needed.    

Post news.
This would be kinda cool, but it shouldn't be posted as regular threads, there's already enough stuff to dig through. An rss feed would be pretty cool though.    

Update speculation.

I'll give you this, but anyone who knows how to ask for that would already know how to find it.
On a related note, Imgur also has a one click screenshot/upload tool that integrates into your context menu, it's pretty handy. http://imgur.com/tools (The first three are the ones that do this, there are other cool things too).    

So this is a case of good ideas, wrong solution I think.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
brunoshady

Activity: 262

Dubs Get

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 07:30:20 PM

I guess it would be a good idea, if the bot was really advanced, or maybe just more staff members would do.

😆
runlinux

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

only sort of bot i can see being useful is one to clean up the for sale threads.

if a user were to change the title to begin with [NLS] or [CLOSED], the bot can move the threads to an archive and no needs for mods to be involved.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:04:55 AM

only sort of bot i can see being useful is one to clean up the for sale threads.

if a user were to change the title to begin with [NLS] or [CLOSED], the bot can move the threads to an archive and no needs for mods to be involved.

+1

How about a grammar/spelling bot too that patrols the posts and bans people if they reach a certain ratio of mistakes-to-corrects?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: