Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum & MasterCoin  (Read 1006 times)
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 02:39:20 PM

Just was reading this article.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-rising-transaction-fees-price-poor-bitcoin/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Could someone explain how Ethereum & MasterCoin's success would impact on Bitcoin. Are they direct competitiors? If they were successful, could they overtake & eventually replace BTC?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:23:45 PM

Just was reading this article.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-rising-transaction-fees-price-poor-bitcoin/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Could someone explain how Ethereum & MasterCoin's success would impact on Bitcoin. Are they direct competitiors? If they were successful, could they overtake & eventually replace BTC?

Mastercoin is a sort of Bitcoin functionality extension, built on the top of existing bitcoin block chain. Their success will make bit coin more attractive - allow for trading contracts and shares etc using block chain - but would also put more stress on the block chain and miners, probably resulting in increasing its size. They are not competitors at all (except for VC funding), they have to stay on the good side of the Bitcoin Fundation, as BF can completely kill them. The Etherum is an attempt to build new infrastructure, imho they are rather competitor to Ripple, not bitcoin. I do not think that either Ripple or Etherum winning should be good or bad for bitocin. Generally, all meaningful new initiatives and cryptos like that are good for ecosystem, except that they increase competition for funding (and later investing in these cryptos). 
AtomTom

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:31:29 PM

I'm not sure if this coins are real competition at this point.

On other hand, I don't believe something would replace bitcoin. It had many flows, still there is a lot of place for better coin, working next to bitcoin.
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:34:07 PM

Thanks for explaining that.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:35:58 PM

I'm not sure if this coins are real competition at this point.

On other hand, I don't believe something would replace bitcoin. It had many flows, still there is a lot of place for better coin, working next to bitcoin.

You mean like pettycoin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzst_gChOr8

explained at 7:00
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 01:58:14 AM

Regarding your question on whether Bitcoin can be replaced by a future crypto-currency: yes.

Will it be either Mastercoin or Ethereum? I wouldn't place a bet on that.

Mastercoin acts as a blanket on Bitcoin, so taking over Bitcoin in that regard would be quite difficult. As for Ethereum, it functions as a contract sort of system, so it could function in that regard as a takeover of Bitcoin. The success of either would have great financial implications either through dilution of market, or as a transfer of the largest market.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: