Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:30:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] http://www.bitcharity.net - Donate to 4 different charities monthly  (Read 1151 times)
mrflibblehat (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:45:25 PM

Hi All,

We have not seen any bitcoin donation sites that donate to external charities other than accept bitcoin since we both started mining, so we decided to create our own. http://www.bitcharity.net

The Basics

http://www.bitcharity.net allows you to choose a charity you like (they change every month) and donate as many or as little bitcoins as you like to that cause.

The Technicalities

we have created 4 vanity addresses to donate to, one for each charity, each month 4 new vanity addresses, yes the donations do go into a separate wallet on a secure server of ours so there is some trust involved but we are good people and we WILL give every penny of it to the charities involved.

each month we will count up how much is in each address and donate to the corresponding charity. we can then post picture/videos of us making the transaction as proof, at this point we will create a page to show past amount raised, as this is the first month we have no prior data to show.

Please be generous, we will not steal your money, this site has been made for a good cause and we want it to be honest and trusted. This is a long term project of ours.

some people may not be able to get onto the site yet as the DNS is still propagating. but this shouldn't take too long.

Thank you all for reading.

hamza171

Activity: 249

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 06:32:36 PM

Good initiative ,+1 for you guys keep up the good work ,I will donate some of my profit by the end of this month .
mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 06:37:01 PM

Thank you for the good feedback, we appreciate any donations made as they all go to worthy causes.

mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:08:55 PM

By the way, I have designed the site myself so it doesn't look so clean, if anyone else could design it better for free as its a non-profit endeavour It would be much appreciated although I doubt il find that Smiley

mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 04:03:04 AM

C,non people you must be able to donate something even 10 satoshi, 1 Donation so far

mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Soon to be accepting CureCoin, Please donate

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:06:06 AM

YOU accepting bitcoin and then YOU handing FIAT to the charity........ that is not bitcoin entrepreunerial... thats just syphoning funds and the charities will never learn about bitcoin.

better idea is to contact the charity and get them to produce a bitcoin address on their charity website so that people can direct donate.
that would do the following things
1. ensure trust that funds get to destination
2. publicise bitcoin
3. show more use of bitcoin, rather then a middleman exchanger

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:59:22 PM

Have any proof that you're actually legit?

The site being under WHOISGUARD isn't a good sign...
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:29:14 PM

Have any proof that you're actually legit?

The site being under WHOISGUARD isn't a good sign...

exactly
honest charities and fundraisers should NEVER hide their identity
honest businesses should NEVER hide their identity.

i am sick to death with scammers trying to get funded using tragedies, charities and nigerian prince stories. if only they would us their intellect to do something honest for once

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:00:57 AM

This is 100% honest and legit,

The only reason the domain is under whoisguard is because I dont want people to know my address, would you? I registered the domain as an individual not a company as me and my friend are doing this as a project. every last penny goes to charity.

Im not that nasty of a person to say I would donate to charity then scam you, I have morals. were not scammers or assholes.  Roll Eyes

mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:02:32 AM

YOU accepting bitcoin and then YOU handing FIAT to the charity........ that is not bitcoin entrepreunerial... thats just syphoning funds and the charities will never learn about bitcoin.

better idea is to contact the charity and get them to produce a bitcoin address on their charity website so that people can direct donate.
that would do the following things
1. ensure trust that funds get to destination
2. publicise bitcoin
3. show more use of bitcoin, rather then a middleman exchanger

Ive tried this but most charities need at least a very large donation to consider accepted bitcoin, or I just get turned away

5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 10:43:33 AM

Ive tried this but most charities need at least a very large donation to consider accepted bitcoin, or I just get turned away

Why not let the donations for a particular charity accrue until the charity in question decides to accept Bitcoin. Once the pending donations exceed a threshold, you can issue a very friendly ultimatum Smiley They can either make the leap to accept Bitcoin and take the donation, or the donation can go to the next charity on the list.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:21:53 AM

Why not let the donations for a particular charity accrue until the charity in question decides to accept Bitcoin. Once the pending donations exceed a threshold, you can issue a very friendly ultimatum Smiley They can either make the leap to accept Bitcoin and take the donation, or the donation can go to the next charity on the list.

I could try this but do you think people here would trust someone else to hold funds? I was only going to hold monthly funds to make it more of a trustworthy service to the community... but no-one trusts anyone here even if its for a good cause.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:59:16 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 01:09:49 PM by franky1

th reason your businss model lacks peoples enthusiasm and trust is simple.

if i want to donate to a charity. i simply cash out and hand them the FIAT
your business model is the exact same, turn bitcoin into fiat and then hand it to them (hopefully)

but its not just about the hope that you would even do that, which is the problem. here are the other issues people have
1. the charity does not know bitcoiners are donating to them,
2. they do not know which bitcoiners donated either, to send a letter of thanks to in return.
3. they do not advertise the benefit of bitcoin and that bitcoin is helping them
4. they do not even publicly acknowledge that bitcoin is something that they accept

so thats 4 reasons concerning the charity, now lets get back to your business model
1. what favourable exchange rate where you keep the 'spot'/profit are you using.
2. if you do not want to be publicly known then there is obviously something you want to hide
3. if you do not want to be publicly known then you will shy away from any interviews/ free publicity the charity may wish to do, to highlight bitcoins presence in the world
4. if you do end up scamming, then you by hiding are making yourself unaccountable which means that your 'morals' are not that strong to want to be the known person of good work.
5. what difference does your business model bring to bitcoin or the charity, that people cannot do themselves

EG, which do you think would be a better public image for bitcoin and for the donations
1. news "shady man takes peoples money and 'says' he sends it to charity. the charity have responded by saying that they have no knowledge of any bitcoiners donations, nor any paperwork to prove such"
2. news: bitcoiner franky1 sends $10000 IN BITCOIN to charity after charity begins accepting bitcoin direct

these charity ploys are simple.
drug dealer A does not want to meet someone for face-to face exchange
drug dealer A does not want to show a wire transfer on localbitcoins exchange
drug dealer A does not want to show a wire transfer on any exchange

so drug dealer A grabs random bitcoins from the community. and hoards.  then drug dealer A puts his own money into a charity. thus there is no physical tie between FIAT and bitcoins. so he cannot be seen as buying drugs as his bank statement shows all of his money went to a charity and not into bitcoins.

charity money laundering is not a new ploy, i have seen atleast 10 attempts of this in the last couple years. true people with morals and worthy of trust do infact reveal their real life information as their morals and conscience sees no reason to hide it because they are doing nothing wrong to require hiding it.

im all for anonymity for peoples own personal life. but when asking other people for funds or holding them as a third party. that is not personal, and should not be hidden away.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:22:22 PM

I could try this but do you think people here would trust someone else to hold funds? I was only going to hold monthly funds to make it more of a trustworthy service to the community... but no-one trusts anyone here even if its for a good cause.

the community trust someone else?? hell yes, what makes you so special to be the only one up for being a funds manager?
id trust andreas antanopolis to hold funds and actually speak with charity heads to get them to accept bitcoin
id trust seans outpost to hold funds and wen reaching a total, disperse them to those in need

far far more then id trust a anonymous person to hold funds.

oh and if you want to rebuttal that some people want to be anonymous, then yes donators can be anonymous, but fund handlers should not. so maybe its best you realise that you are not that trusted or important enough to be worthy of being a funds manager.

maybe you should try your efforts at not trying to make a name for yourself as a good will ambassador/funds manager while hiding away. but instead find the better solution. to change your sales pitch from a money grabber. to being the person that gets charities to accept bitcoin directly. meaning put some effort in. then you will find that more people will donate direct, you get to stay anonymous and the trust of the middleman is not needed.

then your site could be more simple. you dont take funds, you only display donation amounts sent, simply by API calling the blockchain for the address balances of the charities directly show.

make your site into a way of showing how much is donated, without the money ever touching your hands... i wait to see your excuse of why you dont want it so your not the money middle man, and simply a charity/bitcoin publicist

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:11:13 PM

If you're actually legit about collecting funds for a charity, we can get a 2 of 3 wallet setup and I will do one of the signatures.  The suggestion of holding the funds in BTC and convincing the charities to accept BTC instead of $ is a good idea too.
mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:15:35 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 07:35:39 PM by mrflibblehat

the community trust someone else?? hell yes, what makes you so special to be the only one up for being a funds manager?
id trust andreas antanopolis to hold funds and actually speak with charity heads to get them to accept bitcoin
id trust seans outpost to hold funds and wen reaching a total, disperse them to those in need

far far more then id trust a anonymous person to hold funds.

oh and if you want to rebuttal that some people want to be anonymous, then yes donators can be anonymous, but fund handlers should not. so maybe its best you realise that you are not that trusted or important enough to be worthy of being a funds manager.

maybe you should try your efforts at not trying to make a name for yourself as a good will ambassador/funds manager while hiding away. but instead find the better solution. to change your sales pitch from a money grabber. to being the person that gets charities to accept bitcoin directly. meaning put some effort in. then you will find that more people will donate direct, you get to stay anonymous and the trust of the middleman is not needed.

then your site could be more simple. you dont take funds, you only display donation amounts sent, simply by API calling the blockchain for the address balances of the charities directly show.

make your site into a way of showing how much is donated, without the money ever touching your hands... i wait to see your excuse of why you dont want it so your not the money middle man, and simply a charity/bitcoin publicist

I agree thats a good idea in principal. but not all charities will accept bitcoin, I want to do good so I see 2 solutions.

1) we get someone else (an escrow or someone trusted) to make addresses and hold the funds and donate them every month who is willing to do this? This way I dont even see the money but can still show donations made on site.
2) we get charities to accept bitcoin (longshot) but il write up a letter later and send it out to charities and post what I have sent here.

What do you think?

mrflibblehat (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:27:58 PM

Any ideas to the above statements?

tysat
Legendary