Bitcoin Forum
August 26, 2024, 04:22:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Charities Accepting bitcoin  (Read 746 times)
Stinky-Pete (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 06:30:26 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 09:59:40 PM by Stinky-Pete

Hello Aussies and supporters of charities.

I was Looking for a local charity that accepts bitcoin to support and do a bit of anonymous fundraising for them expecting that there would be a wide choice,
There isn't . So I have decided to ask a charity I have supported in the past to add a bitcoin address to their donations page.

The charity is  Life Education https://www.lifeeducation.org.au/      

Life Education is the largest, independent, Australian, health education provider for school children aged 5-13 years. Through our pre-school and secondary school programs, we also reach children as young as 3 years old and as old as 17. We are a non-government, not-for-profit organisation that works with our partner schools to deliver essential curriculum-based lessons empowering children to make safe and healthy lifestyle choices that could impact on their futures.

Heres where I need your help.

I have contacted them myself and They don't believe there is a enough demand for accepting bitcoin, If you could get in touch with Them via their contact us form and ask them if they accept bitcoin or tell them why accepting bitcoin
Is a good idea. Then The Aussie bitcoin community could possibly have a worthy australian charity to support with the added bonus of showing the BTC uneducated  That bitcoin users are not all criminals and tax dodgers.

Thanks

EDIT - to be honest I am a tax dodger / I just thought i could do a better job of deciding where to spend a small percentage of my income than The australian government
JazzCouncil

Activity: 87

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:18:00 AM

Donating to a charity shouldn't be about propping up Bitcoin. Don't you think these organisations have a hard enough time competing for funds without being appropriated as a sled for bitcoin promotion?
JazzCouncil

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Donate to a charity because you believe in the charity. If you can go through the process of acquiring bitcoin with dollars, you can give dollars to a charity.
Bigbear8

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:25:18 AM

I don't see any problem for charities to accept bitcoins? We promote bitcoin and we help them at the same time, why would they not accept bitcoins, that would be strange?
JazzCouncil

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:31:06 AM

Also donating to charities is not about tax minimisation because they're tax deductible. I donate approx. 5k a year to charities in Australia. This offsets about (approx.) $2k in tax meaning it only costs me a net of $3k. Do the math, you're not saving money by donating.

The reason why tax deductions occur is it is a way to force government to support your charities. I.e. $3k from me and $2k from the government they would have otherwise collected in tax.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:47:49 PM

Charities and non-profits are currently bound to serve the interests of of their major financial backers. Bitcoin, being an effectively anonymous means to donate, directly threatens the control that major contributors have over the charities and non-profits. This combined with the fact that it's the best currency for accepting micro-donations ever devised, is reason enough for all charities and non-profits to not only accept but encourage Bitcoin donations.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:54:14 PM

It's getting to the point where I actually don't trust a charity or non- profit that doesn't take Bitcoin. Its just too easy to accept. The only reason not to take it is if they have been told by the major contributors not to accept Bitcoin.
Stinky-Pete (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 06:01:57 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2014, 06:17:13 PM by Stinky-Pete

The idea was not to use a charity to promote bitcoin.
And I realize now The way I worded my OP and the way I went about selling the idea was not the best way.

For most people buying bitcoin then donating is not convenient but for those of us lucky enough to have
made a few coin thru hard work or smart investment ,coin could be donated directly to a charity with no problem.

We have all seen hundreds of posts and tweets about how this company or that company is now accepting bitcoin being used to promote bitcoin and personally I get bored with them all .

If you did see a post saying charity x is now accepting bitcoin " Is bitcoin being used to promote a charity or a charity being used to promote bitcoin ?   Does it really matter?

A discrete few lines at the bottom of a there donations page is all thats needed.

BTC       This charity now accepts bitcoin
         BtCadressherE007Uty6TTYjjji7UH7x

Life education is a charity I do support myself as and feel strongly about and will continue to support with cash or  BTC.

activecoin

Activity: 140

Just Do It!

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 06:12:20 PM

If a charity wont accept bitcoin I would have to view it as a personal interest group and not a charity, like mentioned above why would they not?
Its good you want to have a charity to accept it and for sure the OP could have been worded differently, but there should not be a real problem to promote bitcoin through a charity or vice versa, whats the harm? It is a good way to send money and people who might like a convenient way to send money might need to hear about it, so promoting it to those people will serve them and the charity.
Where is the harm?

Stinky-Pete (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 08:02:46 PM

One last thing I would like to add before letting this thread die is that I had contact with Life education in my teens They were educating young teens about drug use . If I had perhaps been smarter in my teen years I probably would not be thinking about submitting the name of a drug education charity as a possible recipient of donations from an  dark-net drug market a That I may or may not have any dealings with. .

SecOps maintaining anonymity and plausible deniability aside.  Why Not?
Stringer Bell

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 08:22:34 AM

Several months later....

Perhaps a flurry of tips via. https://www.changetip.com/

Would change their minds on the 'no market' misconception?

They accept 1 and they have a Bitcoin wallet now, tada, they are introduced and it might not take them long to 'get' Bitcoin  and fully utilize it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: