Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:12:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the fuck do we still use cash?  (Read 6638 times)
Predatorian

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:37:55 PM

when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?

Use cash whenever u want to also btc or other currency.

pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:38:47 PM

I read somewhere that "The most evil secret society in the world"* wanted to change all the payment options and all money to be digital, so they could wipe the power grid and bring back slavery.

I don't mind physical assets.

*I'm not a conspiracy-nut. It's a quote from the source.

Well, recently Poland's central bank said people use too much cash, they proposed to lower the max amount for cash transactions from 15k € to 1k €. Plus there is going to be digital currency introduced soon; the same can happen in any EU country.
Hmmm...

bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:11:02 PM

when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?

Because not every shop accepts bitcoin as of yet. The same applies to machines.. for example, various machines do not accept creditcards.
Cash has traditionally been used as currency, anyone from the youngest to the oldest can use it. Im not so sure a 7 year old can open a paypal or creditcard account.  Smiley

dadugan

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:47:52 PM

Cash still have the lowest fee - 0 and untraceable.

CC transaction has fee, so is btc.
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:03:16 PM

Because there are still debts to be paid, and the people that control the money and debt.
I think they dont want paper money to be gone, And Im thinking for a long time that paper cash sucks,
before Bitcoin even existed.
Thralen

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:49:22 PM

Say you used one credit card for all your transactions and say you used it at Target this past holiday season. Then say that you were one of the folks whose credit card company said: "We're cancelling your current card and will send you a new one." What, exactly, would you use to pay for things until the new card arrived? That's one reason for cash.

Say you're dining out and say that the power goes out, or simply the credit card processing companies are down when you try to pay. What do you do? If you actually carry cash, you have a significantly smaller problem.

The problem with credit/debit cards is that they are entirely dependent on services being up 24/7. Bitcoin has a similar problem but with less opportunities for problems. Cash on the other hand (and I'm talking about the paper version not the 1s and 0s that banks count as 'cash') doesn't rely on anything of the sort. There are too many points in the credit card transaction process where a point failure can cause significant problems.

So, we still use cash because it can be used when credit/debit cards cannot. Assuming, of course, that the recipient knows how to count (and make change in the case of retail outlets).

Then there are those who prefer that there not be an electronic trail of all their purchases. With the Government trying to pin the 'terrorist' flag on everyone from those trying to be self-sufficient to those trying to prepare for a potential catastrophe, a lot of those folks prefer a cash purchase with no other records than their receipt and their name uninvolved and unrecorded.

On a side note, has anyone else ever realized the humor in FEMA advising everyone to prepare for X number of days in case of a natural disaster while other branches of the government say that those who do things like that sort of preparation are potential terrorists? It's almost enough to make you cry, unless you're already cynical about government in general.

Thralen

Supporting bitcoin as best I can with 1. mining, 2. buying with bitcoin, 3. selling (or trying to) for bitcoin. If you make a donation to:  1MahzUUEYJrZ4VbPRm2h5itGZKEguGVZK1  I'll get it into circulation.
onlyu

Activity: 165

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:58:42 PM

Cash is more convenient in many parts of the world.

madken7777

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:01:24 PM

Not everyone owns a smart phone in 3rd world country.
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:03:08 PM

majority of people in the world still use cash

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

It is so that crypto currencies r a new concept compared to cash. It has its advtanges over cash like universility, security, etc But these advantages need time to spread among all people nd places.

fdiini

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 12:49:38 PM

It is so that crypto currencies r a new concept compared to cash. It has its advtanges over cash like universility, security, etc But these advantages need time to spread among all people nd places.

Need infrastructure in place to accept btc.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:16:31 PM

you can escape taxes with cash
DogeBalla

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

Cash is something that will ALWAYS be used because of its simplicity
tooil

Activity: 181

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:34:28 PM

yes.
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:15:18 PM

+ A simplicity that we still need it ,i love bitcoin but i still like ti use cash ,cash is anonymous and widely accepted, and has zero transaction cost.
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:32:20 PM

+ A simplicity that we still need it ,i love bitcoin but i still like ti use cash ,cash is anonymous and widely accepted, and has zero transaction cost.
Cash has a transaction cost. There are costs in counting it, safeguarding it, watching for disappearance from workers, etc. Benefits of cash include that that it doesn't bounce, no creditcard company for a consumer to dispute the charge, clears instantly.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:55:59 PM

Go buy a hotdog on the street shop and pay him with paypal
LOL, now yes i got your point. bt why do we still use cash for larger transactions?

Describe "large"

I personally rarely use cash anymore. From food to gas to buying something else, I use my debit/CC's. In the very near future I hope to use my Bit/Lite cards Wink.

I rarely use cash as well. Especially for "large" purchases, which is pretty much anything over $20 for me. Who would want to have to continually go to the bank for more cash, or carry around that many bills? I think most people use debit/cc for the majority of "large" purchases. Anyone pay their mortgage or rent with cash recently?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
shadowphoenix

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:19:46 PM

I have a feeling it will not be too long until cash will be looked at as something of an ancient thing.
Bogleg

Activity: 185

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:31:14 PM

Cash is still the most trusted form of currency for half the globe.
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:54:07 AM

Cash is still the most trusted form of currency for half the globe.

Count me in that half. Until Bitcoin really takes off, cash is the _only_ form of currency that I trust.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: