Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:10:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the fuck do we still use cash?  (Read 6644 times)
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:25:47 AM

Hookers only accept cash
makebitcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:55:04 PM

There is a huge shadow economy. For example 'black' work where the governement doesn't get it cut. As long as this excists there will be cash.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:03:28 PM

Baby steps.  I mean can we at least get rid of the penny?!?!  I mean seriously, if it can't buy anything, and no vending machine accepts it, get rid of the damn thing already.  Even Japan, they have a 1 Yen coin.  1 Yen, what the hell can you buy with 1 Yen?  At least that coin feels like a piece of plastic, the penny costs way too much to manufacture.  And don't even let me get started with Canada.  Oh fuck you Canada and your loonie and toonies.  Nothing worse than being a man, buying something from the store, and getting a half pound of coins as change. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
twiifm

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:26:38 AM

Baby steps.  I mean can we at least get rid of the penny?!?!  I mean seriously, if it can't buy anything, and no vending machine accepts it, get rid of the damn thing already.  Even Japan, they have a 1 Yen coin.  1 Yen, what the hell can you buy with 1 Yen?  At least that coin feels like a piece of plastic, the penny costs way too much to manufacture.  And don't even let me get started with Canada.  Oh fuck you Canada and your loonie and toonies.  Nothing worse than being a man, buying something from the store, and getting a half pound of coins as change. 

If you find 1909-1982 pennies you can arbitrage it.  Collect them and sell it for the copper weight
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:11:23 PM

Not that bad. Use a card to minimise change, or be accurate with your payment.

If you give them 3 $100 for a $10 item, no wonder they give you change.

They also give you like 7 coins, and those together are less than an ounce...
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:01:23 PM

Not that bad. Use a card to minimise change, or be accurate with your payment.

If you give them 3 $100 for a $10 item, no wonder they give you change.

They also give you like 7 coins, and those together are less than an ounce...

Why would you give someone 3 $100 for a $10 item?  When you have $1 and $2 coins, any change under $5 is going to be ALL in coins.  It's plain stupid.  I carry a wallet not a purse.  I know why they do it (coins last longer than bills) but it's still really inconvenient.  And you don't think a 1 Yen coin is fucking dumb?  Seriously, give me one practical use for it other than throwing it in a fountain and making a wish.

CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:02:54 PM

If you find 1909-1982 pennies you can arbitrage it.  Collect them and sell it for the copper weight

I seen the old man on Pawn Stars do this, had like 500 pounds of pennies hidden  Cheesy

Same with old quarters or war nickels but those are pretty tough to find these days.  I know places sell junk silver but is there anywhere to even sell pennies? 

darkphantom934

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:20:23 PM

feeless?
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 08:42:49 PM

Because it has a hundreds-of-years-old system built around it. People like consistency and stability, and this system has existed in various forms for over a thousand years (beginning with China's creation of first paper money). People inside this system (bankers, investors, business, etc) benefit from it and oppose anything that wants to create a new system.

From a technical standpoint, we should be using cryptocurrencies for everything because they are superior, at least when we figure out how to make transactions instant. But we are not an entirely rational species, and the old system has a lot of people vested in its survival.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
WheresWaldo

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:23:19 AM

when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?
Because most humans are sheep

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:27:04 AM

are you telling me you have never had a bank note in your pocket for the last 5 years?

if you have had bank notes in the last 5 years, your own reason for having it, is your own answer you request.

I actually haven't used cash in years now. I only use credit or debit for everything... makes keeping up with finances easier, makes transactions cleaner, and there is much less risk than carrying around money.

So what's the answer in my case? :p.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Meggie

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:21:12 AM

it's something in people's nature, I guess, usually we think it s safer that you have your money just here in your pocket, it s something that you can touch, and it s only yours, I know it s stupid, but anyway, we are still a little bit afraid of  that horror things like cash machine or  bank account  when we are talking about really big sum of money Undecided Sad

Get Free Bitcoins -->>BitcoInvest
twiifm

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:25:37 PM

Same reason we still have landlines, vinyl records and fax machines
BitcoinTraders

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:05:50 PM

You use cash because sometimes you have to use cash
This is the best answer you can ever get!
kerafym

Activity: 224

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:43:48 PM

In time of crisis, CASH (in hand) is still king.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
dailey123

Activity: 128

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:42:56 PM

cause it makes the rich richer
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:00:02 AM

Nobody can hack you cash. Some business only accept cash. Do some gas stations still offer discounts on cash purchases? Some level of anonymity, I guess. Probably other reasons as well...
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:08:56 AM

Nobody can hack you cash. Some business only accept cash. Do some gas stations still offer discounts on cash purchases? Some level of anonymity, I guess. Probably other reasons as well...

definitely. i mean, if you deal in any kind of black or grey market, cash is king. and small businesses love cash -- you can spend it without getting taxed!! (ahem, i mean, pay your taxes....)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:14:58 AM

I haven't heard of any gas stations giving discounts, although I do remember they used to. I think credit card companies finally stepped in (as they aren't allowed to charge more for CC, and charging less for cash was just a way around that rule). And people can steal your cash and spend it; it's just like hacking.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:16:21 AM

I haven't heard of any gas stations giving discounts, although I do remember they used to. I think credit card companies finally stepped in (as they aren't allowed to charge more for CC, and charging less for cash was just a way around that rule). And people can steal your cash and spend it; it's just like hacking.

ah, so did they outlaw gas stations from doing that? that would be too bad. i remember a store owner friend of mine telling me about how badly he gets screwed by credit card fees and policies. doesn't sound nice....
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: