Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:06:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty: Play sound file when block is generated  (Read 4050 times)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 11:33:50 AM

It should now work as follows.

1. When "0/unconfirmed" shows up the first time for a transaction sound recieved.wav is played.
2. When coins are generated and show up in the client with 120 block left before mature, sound should be played (generated.wav).

If sounds needs to be swapped, find a wave file and replace the original.

1. Is confirmed to be working.
2. Seth is testing if the generated sound behaves as planned.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shooter_mcgavin

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 12:40:11 PM

I have now implemented the request feature, compiled a client binary for win 7 64 bit, and e-mailed it to seth. I talked with him on irc earlier on. Later I might submit this as a patch to the official client if anyone is interested. It wasn't a big job at all, when I first got to coding, but setting up the entire environment for compiling took a long time.

As it is now, it checks for "0/unconfirmed", and once that message pops up in the client, the client will play a sound of your choice. Currently this is just a file named test.wav in your directory. I have just tested it on my win 7 64 bit system, and the only files altered are the ui.cpp and the makefile.

Not sure if more people are interested, then let me know, and I may put out the source. I will at some point anyhow, but I tought I'd refine it a bit more, even if it works now.

There is a glitch tough, the send coin menu item and the adress book item seems to no longer behave perfectly graphically speaking, sometimes when moving the client around the screen, or resizing it, the graphic in the menu line is affected and looks a bit odd, I don't know why this is, but will research it later on.

Complete source is available for the topic starter, and also instructions for how to set up the environment for compiling were sent to him, although I must frankly say that these procedures are a bit daunting for a non-programmer.

Let me know what you all think, and I will check in on this thread later. And please do not complain that I have not put up a binary and/or source yet. I will, just waiting for feedback from the topic starter.

The libraries I have used are windows specific, so this solution will most likely not work for any other OS at this point.

If the only activity you have in your wallet is from mining, then this is acceptable, however, if someone sends you an arbitrary transaction, it may give you a false positive..

If you think I've been helpful, toss me a few bitcoin -  1J2bbukPKFrwEfk4iHueKfLfFBXLSNGnTi
Herodes

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 10:34:33 PM

If the only activity you have in your wallet is from mining, then this is acceptable, however, if someone sends you an arbitrary transaction, it may give you a false positive..

The code has been modified to fulfill the needs of the original poster, Seth, and since changed by his requests so it behaves according to his tastes. I am awaiting his responses as to whether he's satisfied with the solution or not, so far it seems like he's happy with the results.

unfinishe

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 10:39:21 PM

Oh well. I guess I'm glad someone made a better system than me.

Check out the results from my Bitcoin Survey Project!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88927.0
sethsethseth (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:18:46 PM

It should now work as follows.

1. When "0/unconfirmed" shows up the first time for a transaction sound recieved.wav is played.
2. When coins are generated and show up in the client with 120 block left before mature, sound should be played (generated.wav).

If sounds needs to be swapped, find a wave file and replace the original.

1. Is confirmed to be working.
2. Seth is testing if the generated sound behaves as planned.

Power was out at my house a bunch yesterday, so havent been able to generate on eligius pool to verify this works, but one should generate within a few hours now.  The receive.wav sound plays for receiving OR sending though.  Now that I think about it, it would be awesome if it played a send.wav sound when I send, but that wasn't in the original specs so up to you if you want to add that.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Herodes

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:03:33 AM

Yes, I could add that. And I am aware it plays the sound also when sending. Another check needs to be put in for another soundfile to play at that moment. I am in crunch mode at another project right now, so I could add the send.wav feature in a few days. Lemme know how it works out with that generated bit. I asume it should work, but it is always nice to test it to verify that it actually works as planned. No worries, power outages or net outages happens.
sethsethseth (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:46:57 AM

Got a generation and unfortunately I didn't pay as much attention to what happened as i should have.  The sound played, I looked at the client, it didn't show any new generation, then I ran off to do something and looked at it again in 2 minutes and there was a 2/unconfirmed generation.  So I'm guessing the code must be interfering with the screen draw while it says 0/unconfirmed.  I'll pay attention more closely on the next one....

Sent ya 5btc, I'll send the other 5 when this works good:)

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Herodes

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:59:49 AM

Yes, pay close attention to what happens and let me know how it works out. Smiley
sethsethseth (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:05:21 AM

Testing of the generated coin part is going super slow cause the eligius pool is paying us in huge chunks instead of every block...  This is definitely the best feature ever though:)

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: