Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:13:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine events resonating with Harry Potter and Half-Life2. Other references?  (Read 968 times)
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 06:24:31 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 06:55:03 PM by Nemo1024

With each passing week of Ukrainian events, I get a feeling that I have seen some elements of those events before, in popular culture. Namely, in two titles, that I quite like: in Harry Potter and in Half-Life2. Now before you call me mad...  Smiley

The way Irina Farion of the Svoboda party has been going on about the Russian-speaking population of the South-Eastern regions calling them for cattle and creatures that need to be exterminated, along with any Ukrainian who supports them, resonates strongly with Death Eater propaganda on Muggleborns, "Mudbloods", who need to be exterminated and registered as creatures, along with any those supporting their rights, "Muggle-lovers".

Farion's own behaviour is best depicted in Helena Bonham Carter's depiction of the psychotic female Death Eater, Bellatrix Lestrange.

And the whole Right Sector movement finds clear parallels with the Death Eaters in general.

For Half-Life2, I see parallels in the resistance fighting for freedom from an alien occupation, where some humans actually side with the aliens, with Dr. Breen being at the head of collaborationists, urging the resistance to lay down their weapons and accepts their fate in being "improved" by their extraterrestrial "benefectors". The resistance are heavily outnumbered by both the alien technology and the collaborationist armed forces, the Overwatch, while in cities, the "peace" is kept by Civil Protection, cornering anyone whose look they don't like. So my parallels there:

Dr.Breen = Turchinov/Yatsenjuk
The Benefectors/Combine = USA/NATO
The Resistance = The Resistance
The Overwatch = National Guard
Civil Protection = Right Sector

Some telling images from the game, is when the resistance members fight a losing battle against armoured vehicles, screaming "Get the hell out of here" at the aggressors, while Dr. Breen's voice in the background urges everyone to accept the benefits from "our benefectors" - to become improved transhumans.

Furthermore, the events of game take place in an unspecified Eastern-European county, where the lettering on the signs is written in Cyrillic, often in Russian. Game developers said they did not pinpoint any specific country, but rather created an amalgam of the region. However, in Half-Life2 Episode 2 the player enters a coal mine, which name is "Шaxтa Пoбeды", "Victory Mine", or more precisely in the general context of Eastern Europe "Mine, commemorating in name the WWII Victory". Coal Mine? A name in Russian? In my mind I now place the events in the area of Mariupol, as the game also features extended coastline in a shallow sea, Azov...

Can anyone name any other resonance points? In other popular culture items?

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 07:52:14 PM

Nuland, McCain, Beiden, ... - Headcrabs
Turchinov, Yatsenjuk, ... - Headcrab hosts
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 06:56:28 PM by Nemo1024

I though of another parallel, the pure evil:

The simpering Dolores Umbridge (aka, the toad) = Victoria Nudelman (aka Nuland)

More from Harry Potter:

Fernier Greyback = Yarosh
Snatchers = National Guard
Death Eaters = Right Sector

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: