Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:38:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raystonn's BTC/USD Probability Forecast  (Read 3659 times)
K128kevin2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:44:36 PM

Conditions are always changing. If the price has moved against your prediction, do you report that? Or do you wait for the fluctuation to swing in your favor?

Let me illustrate: Suppose that at 1 pm, the price is at $570, and Alice and Bob disagree on the next price movement. Alice says: 99% chance up before my next forecast, 1% chance down. Bob says: 99% chance down before my next forecast, 1% chance up. Reality: at 2 pm, the price is at $575, at which time Alice declares that her prediction was correct and she gives her next forecast. Then at 6 pm the price hits $565, at which time Bob declares that his prediction was correct and he gives his next forecast.

This is exactly what I was saying but he didn't have any response -_-
Raystonn (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:15:44 AM

Conditions are always changing. If the price has moved against your prediction, do you report that? Or do you wait for the fluctuation to swing in your favor?

What you suggest would only work if I was picking tops and bottoms in a range-bound market. The minute we hit a trend my position would be destroyed, and I'd have to sit with it and hope it came back.  This is not what I'm doing.  I have clearly reported a couple losses when conditions changed and my system changed its forecast.

BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:20:34 AM

What you suggest would only work if I was picking tops and bottoms in a range-bound market. The minute we hit a trend my position would be destroyed, and I'd have to sit with it and hope it came back.  This is not what I'm doing.  I have clearly reported a couple losses when conditions changed and my system changed its forecast.

In a market that is not range bound, what I suggest (and what I suspect you are in fact doing) would not be guaranteed of success 100% of the time, but it would work a lot of the time. I gave a very clear example of a situation where it would work very nicely.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:35:27 AM

In a market that is not range bound, what I suggest (and what I suspect you are in fact doing) would not be guaranteed of success 100% of the time, but it would work a lot of the time. I gave a very clear example of a situation where it would work very nicely.

That's a range bound market.  The price went both up and down.  In a strong trend this is a very low probability scenario.  In any case, my calls are not tied to price action.  They are based on specific analysis of bid and ask order quantities on the book.
BTCtrader71

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:53:59 AM

That's a range bound market.  The price went both up and down.  In a strong trend this is a very low probability scenario.  In any case, my calls are not tied to price action.  They are based on specific analysis of bid and ask order quantities on the book.

Your last two predictions were 60% chance of up (most recent) and 49.1% chance of up (the one before that). By your definitions, do numbers like that qualify as being in a strong trend, or range bound?

Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:08:30 AM

Current price: $587.00
Forecast until my next post:
    44.4% probability of going up.
    55.6% probability of going down.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:38:43 AM

how are these probabilities determined?

Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:40:06 AM

Current price: $582.00
    50.8% probability of going up.
    49.2% probability of going down.
Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:42:00 AM

how are these probabilities determined?

I compare the bid and ask orders sitting on the book at Bitstamp.  It's a proprietary technique.
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:57:21 AM

This thread got me thinking, what's the best trading strategy based on this kind of information?

More specifically, say you get a string of perfectly accurate up/down probability predictions. (Ie. if it says 63% up, that means ~630 out of 1000 times it WILL actually go up.)

How do you choose when to buy/sell based on such information? And how much, or how often? You could do the same placements as percentages (ie. 63% BTC / 37% USD based on the number above), or you could go all-in up or down on every guess, or some hybrid strategy. What strategy would give the most profit over time?
K128kevin2

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:06:53 PM

This thread got me thinking, what's the best trading strategy based on this kind of information?

More specifically, say you get a string of perfectly accurate up/down probability predictions. (Ie. if it says 63% up, that means ~630 out of 1000 times it WILL actually go up.)

How do you choose when to buy/sell based on such information? And how much, or how often? You could do the same placements as percentages (ie. 63% BTC / 37% USD based on the number above), or you could go all-in up or down on every guess, or some hybrid strategy. What strategy would give the most profit over time?

I don't think you could profit at all using the information on this thread given you have no idea whatsoever of the time intervals between predictions. Furthermore, the percentages are not accurate. For almost every single one of his posts, the price has gone in the direction of the higher probability, which is extremely unlikely given the probabilities and number of posts he has made. And even furthermore, you don't know how much the price is going to move. I am almost positive that there is no way you could actually make money by following this unless you just got very lucky.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:25:57 PM

At least the "how much to invest" part can be answered with certainty by the Kelly criterion, if you do assume that your highest ranked goal is maximizing your (profit) growth rate.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:42:33 PM

At least the "how much to invest" part can be answered with certainty by the Kelly criterion, if you do assume that your highest ranked goal is maximizing your (profit) growth rate.

Thanks, that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for! I figured someone must have done the theory on this already.

@K128kevin2: I wasn't necessarily thinking about the numbers in this thread in particular. I just wondered how to act on it IF you had perfect predictions. As the wiki article oda.krell linked points out, the best way to deal with imperfect information is simply to bet less.
BTCtrader71

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:37:05 PM

About an hour after that prediction, the price rose above $590. Did you make your next prediction then? No, because your above prediction would have been "wrong." So you waited another hour and a half for it to swing down, so you could declare the above prediction "right:"

I don't actually know for sure that that's what you're doing, but it sure as heck looks like it.

Incidentally ... as I type, the price is $580.

bigdave

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:11:26 PM

About an hour after that prediction, the price rose above $590. Did you make your next prediction then? No, because your above prediction would have been "wrong." So you waited another hour and a half for it to swing down, so you could declare the above prediction "right:"

I don't actually know for sure that that's what you're doing, but it sure as heck looks like it.

Incidentally ... as I type, the price is $580.

I think he is pulling numbers out of his ass and wasting a forum thread and everyone's time for reading it.
frienemy

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

I was promised da moon

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

I think he is pulling numbers out of his ass and wasting a forum thread and everyone's time for reading it.

Naaaah, I think he is indeed doing some research, but as he admitted, he can't predict when parameters change so that there are no fixed intervals. Therefore the analysis might not be pulled out of his behind, it might even work for him, but it is difficult to prove to others and has only restricted value for others. Interesting, though.

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
BTCtrader71

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:31:52 PM

Naaaah, I think he is indeed doing some research, but as he admitted, he can't predict when parameters change so that there are no fixed intervals. Therefore the analysis might not be pulled out of his behind, it might even work for him, but it is difficult to prove to others and has only restricted value for others. Interesting, though.

I have no reason to doubt that Raystonn has an algorithm that he is using for his predictions, and he wishes to test it to see how well it works. But Raystonn, you need to be more rigorous in your overall approach. Neither your predictions, nor your assessment of your algorithm, are useful in their present form.

K128kevin2

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:41:54 AM

@K128kevin2: I wasn't necessarily thinking about the numbers in this thread in particular. I just wondered how to act on it IF you had perfect predictions. As the wiki article oda.krell linked points out, the best way to deal with imperfect information is simply to bet less.

That is a very interesting question, and of course it would depend on the actual percentages. There are some good AI techniques out there that could find the optimal manner of making buy/sell decisions given this limited information. The first thing that comes to mind for me is a technique called Q-Learning, which involves learning how to make optimal decisions in an unknown environment. I'm sure there are dozens of other techniques that could be applicable too.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:58:45 AM

And I still want him to compare against buy and hold.  He hasn't done that for a while.

C'mon Raystonn, show us the numbers!

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:07:11 AM

There really doesn't seem to be much interest here.  So at this point I'm going to discontinue the public predictions.  Current price is 584.88.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: