Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:17:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Buy Low, Sell High', is that the same as 'Sell High, Buy Low'?  (Read 1461 times)
Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:33:08 PM

The golden rule of investing is to buy low and sell high, right?

Well my question is: is 'buy low and sell high' rule the same as 'sell high and buy low'?  

Here's the situation, I mistakenly sold some alt coin when I wanted to buy it, being pissed by the event I decided to buy it back at a rate that would appear to profit had I purchased it at a lower rate, ie: instead of buy 10 sell 11; I sold 11 then bought 10.

Is there a tactical name for this type of transaction?  Are all things the same, is there a down side?  My alt coin balance was the same but I could not make a determination on the btc balance because there were too many changes.

Is this some type of self-granting put/call option or something?    Clearly, I'm confused and in need of clarity.  

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:36:15 PM

10,11 is Price or Quantity of coins?
brian_23452

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:42:28 PM

Is there a tactical name for this type of transaction?  

Yea it's called fucking up and getting lucky.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:49:51 PM

Grin or, in other word, loose ... and loose 2 time, the transaction exchange (for FIAT transfer).
 Cheesy get rich, not this day, bro.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:20:39 PM

Well my question is: is 'buy low and sell high' rule the same as 'sell high and buy low'?  

Yes, but it depends whether you want to be in or out of a particular market.

The goal of traders is simply to increase their holding at the end of the day. To keep things simple say you have $1 and .001 BTC, which is about $0.44 at the current exchange rate of $440 per BTC. Your net worth in dollars would be $1.44. That's if you converted your .001 BTC to dollars. Your net worth in BTC would be .0033 BTC if you converted your $1 to BTC (about .0023).

If you thought BTC would rise in price you would rather have your holdings in BTC, so you would sell/convert your $1 to BTC. Say the price doubled to $880 per BTC. Since you had a total of .0033 BTC your net worth in dollars would be $2.90 ($880 x .0033), a big increase from $1.44. Conversely say the price halved to $220 per BTC. With a total of .0033 BTC your net worth in dollars would only be $0.73 ($220 x .0033), a decrease in terms of dollars (whereas if you didn't sell the $1 you would total $1.22). Hope that helps.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 11:35:33 PM

For any investments in cryptocurrency, the correct formula for getting rich is this:

"Buy now, hold for 3-5 years, oh look there's no fiat left to sell your crypto for. Spend crypto anywhere @ 100x value you paid for it."

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:42:07 AM

You should probably stop trading lol.
Wbwallet

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:53:17 AM

For any investments in cryptocurrency, the correct formula for getting rich is this:

"Buy now, hold for 3-5 years, oh look there's no fiat left to sell your crypto for. Spend crypto anywhere @ 100x value you paid for it."

Some of us actually believe in trading. We sell/buy several times a day in order to increase total value. I started with 1000$, I now have XAU/CND/USD/XBT moving from one to another. I funded my account only once, and my total value is near double.

Holding wont do that. Trading is like a daily income.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:46:40 AM

The first strategy would leave you with fiat, and the latter strategy would leave you with more BTC than you started off with (obviously )..
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:55:54 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 04:28:09 AM by jonald_fyookball

Fiat is not gonna be dead in five years man, sorry to burst your bubble.

Radio isn't dead just because we have internet.  
People still read books too.

Not saying it might not die completely someday,  
but not in five years especially considering mass
Adoption hasn't even begun.

EDIT: And btw, I would LOVE to be wrong here!

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:59:21 AM

...If this is an investing tactic when is the best times to use it?

If you own a large/decent amount of alt coins you can sell a small/moderate % on any size rally hoping to buy back cheaper; If the little trade fails, then most of your holdings are going higher. If it succeeds, then you have more alt for the same invested BTC.

cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:54:21 AM

The stratergy depends on what asset you want to maximise...

example: you have one million dogecoin.

you are in a position to maximise your dogecoin..

Dogecoin currently costs 100 satoshis

So you sell when price increases to 101 satoshi which will get you more bitcoin

now again when price drops to 100 satoshis  when you buy back you will have one million and five thousand dogecoins..

Thus you have increased 5000 dogecoins by selling high and buying low...

But if you want to increase bitcoins then you buy dogecoins at 100 and sell at 101...

Thus both the strategy depends ultimately on what currency or asset you want to maximise
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:41:03 AM

buy low sell high vs sell high buy low

they are the same. the only difference is what you hold at the time

EG
1. fiat investor
 if you hold FIAT then you are wanting bitcoin as your next step.. making you a buy low / sell high
if price-spread was $440-$460 a coin you would buy at $440 and sell at $460 giving you extra FIAT
this means you prefer to be a FIAT investor as you prefer to get back to holding / gaining FIAT

2. bitcoin investor
if you hold bitcoin then you are wanting FIAT as your next step.. making you a sell high / buy low
if price-spread was $440-$460 a coin you would sell at $460 and buy at $440 giving you extra bitcoin
this means you prefer to be a bitcoin investor as you prefer to get back to holding / gaining bitcoin

this is standard 'long' investments.

however instead of playing the spread the standard way, you can also risk playing the 'shorts'.

EG if price-spread was $440-$460 a coin and you think it will tank to lets say $400 and you predict that it wont reach $460 before the tank
then you would sell at $440 and PLACE a order to then buy at $400, and wait for it to hit.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: