Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:40:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everybody's identity has a price.  (Read 1489 times)
joecooin (OP)

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 10:45:38 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2014, 11:05:02 PM by joecooin

Everybody who values their's at 10 USD or less will get a great deal selling it to Circle. What's the problem with that?

And: everybody here wishing for 'mainstream adoption' should be happy as we will then finally have the opportunity to go shopping on Ebay and on apple-thingy-store and all the other beautiful places, which will of course accept Bitcoin as soon as they are being 'de-risked' and 'consumer-protected' and sent by identified users from regulated Circle wallets.

The to-be-adopted masses of shoppers will be happy, Ebay will be happy, Circle will be happy.

And if Circle protects the users from their private keys even the FED will be happy Smiley.

So, happy times ahead all around, maybe except for the to-the-moon-guy on reddit, as he's not gonna get there. But that is a small sacrifice.

Joe

edit: spelling

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:52:31 PM

This is a very good point. But there will be and maybe there is already (see cryptonote technology) a way for the one who wants it to free himself from the tyranny of government and its oppression towards your privacy.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:26:39 AM

How much privacy does "our identity" have left anyway?
The NSA spying/data collecting has been as bad or worse than anyone expected. Also, the IRS was caught taking a close look at the tax returns of people who belong to certain political groups, and people get fired from their job for certain types of donations.

Bitcoin is not anonymous either (despite many "news" stories claiming it is)
I value privacy, but for me it's probably too late to really matter much.
Who has an identity that is currently worth more than $10?  Shocked

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:07:20 AM

The NSA spying/data collecting has been as bad or worse than anyone expected. Also, the IRS was caught taking a close look at the tax returns of people who belong to certain political groups, and people get fired from their job for certain types of donations.

Last time I checked Google is estimated to make $600 a year from each user based on the the information they get from tracking and analytics. When they can read spending patterns and tailor ads to you it makes your identity rather valuable. I personally prefer companies to know less about me - I value that at a lot more than $10.

I suppose privacy depends on what context your in - you'll pretty much  never be anonymous to the government, the taxman tries to know everything so he can hit as hard as possible. But as far as big corporations go I don't feel they deserve my information - they're being paid for a service no need to bloody well data mine on top of that.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:25:36 AM

From the reporting on the Target Credit Card breach, I learned that the wholesale going rate is many times your $10 figure.

I don't quite get the ire directed at Circle. It's another model. This is progress. We don't need to abandon the working models. Indeed, one does not need to store all their stash at Circle. One could conceivably use it for their pocket money.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 05:17:43 AM

Everybody who values their's at 10 USD or less will get a great deal selling it to Circle. What's the problem with that?

And: everybody here wishing for 'mainstream adoption' should be happy as we will then finally have the opportunity to go shopping on Ebay and on apple-thingy-store and all the other beautiful places, which will of course accept Bitcoin as soon as they are being 'de-risked' and 'consumer-protected' and sent by identified users from regulated Circle wallets.

The to-be-adopted masses of shoppers will be happy, Ebay will be happy, Circle will be happy.

And if Circle protects the users from their private keys even the FED will be happy Smiley.

So, happy times ahead all around, maybe except for the to-the-moon-guy on reddit, as he's not gonna get there. But that is a small sacrifice.

Joe

About you post.

One word:

No.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4464

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:26:47 AM

imagine names that are not already publicly accessible for free. take for example mark karpeles. wouldnt you pay more then $10 to know his home address, home telephone, private email address?

take any other scammer, con-artist. wouldnt you pay more then $10 for their identity.

well debt recovery agencies all get thir data from private data collection agents. and these agents will paymore per entry as they know they can sell that one entry to multiple people.

yes there are some bits of data that are not as valuable. but take for instance any companies that want to concentrate on bitcoin users. they will pay more for circles members list.. rather then go to facebook and pay them for facebook members that have 'liked' or commented about bitcoin.

its never end users such as debt collection agents that just want one entry. its data companies that can resell, that will pay over $10

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:32:01 AM

The biggest barrier to adoption right now is the onramp and offramps. If these highly-regulated but easy-to-use onramps bring a 10x growth to the user base, then I think it's a good thing. Once people are in the system, they'll eventually learn their way around it and start to branch out.
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:38:36 AM

I liken it to bittorrent and downloading free movies / tv shows. Everyone does it now and it's normal. Mass adoption of peer-to-peer file sharing forced the industry to be disrupted. But that only became commonplace after everyone had a computer on their desk and became familiar with software and the internet. The PC / Internet may not have ever gotten off the ground if it was expressly marketed as a way to bypass copyright restrictions.
Sealed

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:48:30 AM

You know what's so very fucking cool about Bitcoin? You have the freedom to use it the way you want to!
Sealed

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:54:58 AM

Nobody is forcing you to sign up with Circle or use a similar service. You are free to keep your bitcoins in your own wallet on your own PC and use them as anonymously as you like. I think we should be excited about the fact that we soon might have the option to use bitcoins in a very convenient and secure way.

I really don't understand your rant.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:08:01 AM

I don't really understand all the hatred towards circle.

Yes it's centralized and yes they will probably not allow you to handle your own keys (and therefore you don't actually posses any bitcoin because the one who has the keys has the coins) but still it could be the 'killer app' for bitcoin.

Noone is forcing you to use circle and in fact I'd advice everyone to hold their own keys, but I also realize many people are too lazy or too stupid for that. The only thing I'm worried about is if circle becomes popular and goxxes a lot of people who are relatively new to bitcoin. That could prove to be a distaster for the reputation of bitcoin.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:58:45 PM

Joe

Thank you for speaking out.

Unfortunately many people value their identity even less than 10 USD.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:59:21 PM

Yep, Circle has already won by default. Except for Crypsty.

Yep, smooth sailing here.

Same for all the soon to be arriving Deep Pockets and Mega Cannons.

Crystal clear paradise right here in the land of Bitcoin for all the already due huge new players.

Everything changes in the next several months time.

Get over it OP, yor beating a dead horse.

Bitcoin is The Future.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:13:35 AM

Noone is forcing you to use circle
This is a rather short-sighted viewpoint.

It's true today, however there are many, many ways in which this could not remain true tomorrow.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:25:11 AM

It's true today, however there are many, many ways in which this could not remain true tomorrow.

You lost me there. How would people be forced to use Circle?
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 12:32:11 AM

Bitcoin transactions are just as anonymous as you want to make them.

Think about it.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 02:16:31 AM

agree, if you want to use the atm's and have your identity tied to your wallet you can

or

you can stay in the shadows....

Bitcoin transactions are just as anonymous as you want to make them.

Think about it.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:42:29 AM

I don't see how this isn't a good thing. You can still use your own wallet and your own private keys. If this gives us the ability to use bit coin at places like the Apple store or Amazon etc. it increases the reach and economy of bit coin exponentially. Not to mention the new users.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:14:09 AM

Hey Justus - I'm confused as well regarding your statement. Care to clarify?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: