Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:57:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal could benefit greatly from providing a wallet service  (Read 2381 times)
Mikerogers (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:55:08 PM

They could make cash from the fluctuations in Bitcoin's price, as opposed to transaction fees. This would force them to create an exchange and act as a wallet. This would not only help PayPal business wise, but it would help the people who are interested in Bitcoin get involved that aren't too sure about about digital currencies. If they don't do it, they'll be out of business from someone that will.

Exchange/Wallet combination idea comes from http://www.panture.com/why-paypal-should-integrate-a-wallet-service-for-bitcoin/

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:56:38 PM

They could make cash from the fluctuations in Bitcoin's price, as opposed to transaction fees. This would force them to create an exchange and act as a wallet. This would not only help PayPal business wise, but it would help the people who are interested in Bitcoin get involved that aren't too sure about about digital currencies. If they don't do it, they'll be out of business from someone that will.

Exchange/Wallet combination idea comes from http://www.panture.com/why-paypal-should-integrate-a-wallet-service-for-bitcoin/

I seriously dont want PayPal to be a big player in BTC business. Those bulky sharks come with a lots of regulation. Let them die with FIAT.

Mikerogers (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

I despise PayPal for their greedy fees too, but in the end if there's money to be made they'll go after it or someone else will. At least for now, I see PayPal getting involved as something more beneficial to Bitcoin than Bitcoin being more beneficial to PayPal. Also remember, they both compete with each other!
Davis14

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:21:06 AM

Wont ever do it though too much tension between the 2.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:41:56 AM

As I've stated before, by promoting Bitcoin in any way they will inevitably weaken the value of Paypal as a payment system. Unless they perceive that the revenue from running a Bitcoin exchange (which will be costly to get the appropriate licensing in place as well as legal agreements in multiple countries) will greatly outstrip the losses from a shift away from Paypal I'm doubtful they would actually do it. Not to mention, the market that Bitcoin reaches is still tiny in comparison to what CC/PP reaches at the moment.
RepublicSpace

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:23:26 AM

PayPal are known to freeze peoples assets and refuse to return funds, I wouldn't want to hold Bitcoin with them.
DonnyMontana

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:10:44 AM

I think having Paypal involved is terrifying. They would define an experience that would rob normal users of any control.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 12:11:03 PM

You would trust Paypal?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:22:23 PM

There is not any reason or advantages to use PayPal to store BTC.
PayPal like holding your money in MtGox, you never know if it is there tomorrow  Cheesy
The whole idea of BTC is to control your own money;

Mikerogers (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:56:02 PM

There is not any reason or advantages to use PayPal to store BTC.
PayPal like holding your money in MtGox, you never know if it is there tomorrow  Cheesy
The whole idea of BTC is to control your own money;

It's not quite like MtGox, I think that's exaggerating it a bit. Perhaps they could do something where they don't have access to your private keys, but tbh none of that matters when you're looking at this from a business sense. It doesn't matter how much we hate PayPal for their sharky fees, if it makes business sense to do this they'll do it. There's no doubt in my mind that a lot of people would get involved if PayPal got involved, and we can use the services we trust. Nobody can stop them, if they can make money doing it they'll give it a go.
Mikerogers (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:59:12 PM

You would trust Paypal?

I have a few hundred dollars on my PayPal account at all times, so sure. I mostly use it for buying though, so I'm aware that they don't treat their sellers too well. (I know how people charge back with virtual currencies and PayPal always backs up the buyer) Hopefully they will fix this policy and advance. Do I think the board members of eBay are smart enough to do this? Maybe. I would give it some time though as the only person on that board with a little bit knowledge about Bitcoin is Marc Andreesen.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:13:38 PM

I don't like PayPal any more than the next guy, but I do think it's in their best interest to provide some services related to bitcoin.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:38:39 PM

I think having Paypal involved is terrifying. They would define an experience that would rob normal users of any control.

PayPal are known to freeze peoples assets and refuse to return funds, I wouldn't want to hold Bitcoin with them.

I couldn't agree more. Having Paypal as an intermediary will be similar to handing your coins over to MtGox in the past. You will experience the full set of braindead KYC, AML, and Anti-Terrorist schemes to take away control of your funds.

Don't use Paypal. Bitcoin makes it obsolete anyway.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:08:04 PM

I don't think that Paypal will be willing to take that risk. Thefts and hacks are very common in the Bitcoin sector. If some of the coins are stolen from the PP Bitcoin wallets, then according to the ToS, they will be forced to refund them. That will put them in a precarious position.
Mikerogers (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:24:07 PM

I don't think that Paypal will be willing to take that risk. Thefts and hacks are very common in the Bitcoin sector. If some of the coins are stolen from the PP Bitcoin wallets, then according to the ToS, they will be forced to refund them. That will put them in a precarious position.

Umm.. PayPal will be providing their own service, which they would secure themselves. PayPal has never been hacked, and they get attacked WAY more than any Bitcoin service out there.
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:23:23 PM

Paypal are already probably making there own Crypto currency should it all take off in the future.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

Umm.. PayPal will be providing their own service, which they would secure themselves. PayPal has never been hacked, and they get attacked WAY more than any Bitcoin service out there.

You are oversimplifying things. Thefts and hacking do occur with Paypal accounts. Go to SR 2.0, and you can buy a bunch of hacked Paypal accounts for just around BTC0.2 or so. If so many hacks can occur with Paypal USD accounts, then imagine what will happen to the Paypal BTC accounts.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:05:29 PM

even if paypal offered the best wallet service, i still wouldn't use them. no way i'm helping a multi-billion dollar company grow bigger and gain more influence so that normal people like myself will get fucked over.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 12:38:47 AM

I couldn't agree more. Having Paypal as an intermediary will be similar to handing your coins over to MtGox in the past. You will experience the full set of braindead KYC, AML, and Anti-Terrorist schemes to take away control of your funds.

Don't use Paypal. Bitcoin makes it obsolete anyway.

No it doesn't.

Try to sell stuff on ebay and include in your listing that you will only accept Bitcoin and see what happens.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:45:28 AM

paypal could be affected by future seize over bitcoin, or have trouble with wharever legal classification btc fits in the future. In their license terms they said it is forbidden to use paypal to trade currencies.

Think they are more interested on profit from high taxes of product selling than act like an exchange, and have more risks and maybe a legal nightmare in some parts of the world
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: