Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New guy, only have Windows Servers  (Read 667 times)
92GTA (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:02:59 AM

I would like to start mining but I don't have access to powerful video cards. On the contrary, I do have about half a dozen very high end Windows Servers. Dell PowerEdge R715, dual proc, multiple cores, 16-32GBs of ram. But they only have the on-board Intel video.

Is it possible to mine using servers or do I just need to save up for video cards (which I can't).

Thanks!
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:46:08 AM

You can prolly mine a somewhat decent amount of x11-based and/or SHA3-based coins using just the CPU power of those servers. I can't give you a good estimate of how much you can mine, but it should be good enough for casual mining, especially if you back a coin with a potentially upward trend. You wouldn't be able to mine Scrypt-based coins effectively with those though. You can if you really wanted to, but you wouldn't get an acceptable RoI for the electricity that you're paying for and the wear and tear on those shiny pieces of hardware. SHA256 coins are out of the question as well -- all of those have been ASIC fodder for months now.
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:13:56 PM

Monero, Riecoin and X11 coins are a good start.

92GTA (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:13:57 PM

Thanks guys!

Would this be a good site to start?
http://cpucoinlist.com/how-to/how-to-cpu-mine-x11/

Thanks!
forevernoob

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:19:01 PM

Thanks guys!

Thanks!

Yes, but the question is what pool you should join. I'm no expert on X11 coins. But maybe you should start out with Darkcoin?
http://www.drkpool.com/

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 03:08:58 AM

I would like to start mining but I don't have access to powerful video cards. On the contrary, I do have about half a dozen very high end Windows Servers. Dell PowerEdge R715, dual proc, multiple cores, 16-32GBs of ram. But they only have the on-board Intel video.

Is it possible to mine using servers or do I just need to save up for video cards (which I can't).

Thanks!

Whatever you do, don't start mining with video cards.  That time has passed already for both SHA-256 and Scrypt.  You can mine those Alts with CPU's, but I wouldn't expect anything significant in value.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
rhj12345

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:57:54 AM

Thanks!

Keep in mind you will be running your server cpu's at peak workload. Better to consider an S1 from Bitman Tech then to risk burning out your servers.
92GTA (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:09:04 PM

Keep in mind you will be running your server cpu's at peak workload. Better to consider an S1 from Bitman Tech then to risk burning out your servers.

I presumed I could tell the mining apps what % to use like a folding app. Yeah if this isn't possible I won't even bother doing. Thanks for the tip!
forevernoob

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:48:18 PM

I presumed I could tell the mining apps what % to use like a folding app. Yeah if this isn't possible I won't even bother doing. Thanks for the tip!

There is an application called "cpulimit" available for Linux. Maybe there is something similar for Windows?
Worth checking out at least.

gunawanviram

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:28:57 PM

Thanks guys!

Thanks!

Yes, but the question is what pool you should join. I'm no expert on X11 coins. But maybe you should start out with Darkcoin?
http://www.drkpool.com/

Thanks guys, that's mean cpu mining still nowadays? more inspiration to me as new miner (not have gpu yet)  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: