Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:18:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Erik Voorhees be recognized from this day forward as the official Bitcoin Sage?
Yes
No

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I nominate Erik Voorhees as the official Bitcoin Sage. [w/POLL]  (Read 922 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:06:57 AM

The official start of The Bitcoin Foundation was here:

Bitcoin is revolutionary because it is decentralized, with no single point of control or failure.

However, over the last six months or so it has become obvious to me that the rest of the world isn't set up to interact with a radically decentralized system like Bitcoin, and I think forming a not-for-profit organization will be a positive step towards Bitcoin's long-term success.

I'm posting this to see if there is a consensus on what a Bitcoin Foundation should be.

To get the conversation started, here are some functions I think a Bitcoin Foundation could perform:

• Interact with the legal system, where a centralized entity is needed: for example, to hold the Bitcoin trademark, own/control the bitcoin.org domain name, etc.
  • Act as a central library for accurate information about Bitcoin, so journalists and policymakers have an 'official' place to learn about Bitcoin.
  • Collect donations to fund infrastructure necessary for Bitcoin's growth (organize regular developers' conferences or get-togethers maybe? pay for development of cross-implementation testing tools? pay core developers' salaries? create a certification/testing program for Bitcoin implementations? create a central clearinghouse for information about legal issues surrounding Bitcoin across the world?)

Other not-for-profit organizations that could be emulated:

• The Anti-Phishing Working Group (the APWG's chairman, David Jevans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jevans, is willing to help make a Bitcoin Foundation happen).
  • The Tor Project
  • The Apache Software Foundation

Are there others that work well, or are there examples of what NOT to do? Assuming there is rough consensus that a Bitcoin Foundation is a good idea, I would like to get something imperfect up and running quickly, with the expectation that it will evolve over time.

Gavin - seems like a reasonable idea.

Bitcoin would still have all the advantages of being decentralized (no central server, no office to raid and shut down. etc), but gets the added advantages of a core organization to guide it. Perhaps the core organization will get destroyed by the evil powers, but I'm not sure that'd be incredibly damaging to Bitcoin as a protocol. The community would just grow a new command center when the old was destroyed.

The main danger is if the community trusts such an organization too much.  For example- if everyone assumed the client version put out by the organization was trustworthy, then there is serious danger. A group as you propose should probably exist, but the community should remain skeptical of it, and always constructively critical.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:13:10 AM

Okay, who was the wise guy who voted no?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:27:16 AM

I did because Voorhees is a self interested blockchain spammer that never cared about anything except lining his own pocket. He's a great preacher that spreads the gospel better than Pat Robertson on the 700 club but that doesn't make him wholesome. He's a self interested profiteer and nothing more. If he was a great sage he should have predicted his own downfall: http://www.bitcoinx.com/satoshidice-mpex-sec-investigation/
I hope they nail his ass. Running to Panama ain't gonna save him.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 08:09:05 AM

For sake of argument, can we at least just see if his Sagehood is merited via the one post in the OP, negating the rest?
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:44:57 AM

Erik is more than just the guy who wrote a letter or lost coins on Gox....he is one of the leaders in this space so that's worth noting.
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 10:57:02 AM by Slingshot

I politely decline to vote on this.

And I instead nominate the Sage of Bitcoin to be Gavin Andresen.
Gavin is the one person almost everyone seems to believe in at Bitcoin, besides that is the usual detractors anyone has, yet I can't recall anyone ever having anything not great to say about Gavin Andresen. My memory isn't as good as it was decades ago though. See below...

IMO:

Hands down, no question about it: Gavin Andresen is "the Sage of Bitcoin"

With the "Godfather of Bitcoin" being of course Satoshi Nakamoto.

Maybe instead  Erik Voorhees should be named the "Guru of Bitcoin" ?

Now this is just my own 0.0000 0002 Dorians

What do I know? Only what I just stated, and about two bits more, but truly not so much about many subjects. I am still busy learning and helping others learn about Bitcoin after 18 months of plenty of time and effort. And a full 30 months after first downloading the first Bitcoin wallet and miner. Sadly it took another 18 months to even remember to get back to starting to even mine any Bitcoin at all due to reality catching up with yours truly...

At any rate, in my mind: Gavin Andresen will always be the "the Sage of Bitcoin"
===================================================

I just don't know much at all about Erik Voorhees. Sad, I know. I recall reading about him several times, but it didn't exactly stick in my mind, I don't recall exactly whom he is and what he does. Update:WAIT...xxxxxxx xxxx maybe??? Is that him/yep, I just recalled it, that's him, verified.
 I would have to go re-review him and get back to this, but I just can't vote for anyone but Gavin for "Sage of Bitcoin", it just wouldn't be correct if I voted for someone else for being the Official Sage of Bitcoin.

Gavin always sticks. He is extremely sticky material, just like Bitcoin. They both are always very memorable while reading and reviewing. Seems like everyone loves and respects Gavin very, very much. But nothing against Erik Voorhees that I recall. Then again...it's got to be sticky to stick in this old, worn out brain of mine. Thank goodness Bitcoin finally stuck though. lol...

Erik Voorhees was wise (sage) to ...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Bitcoin is Freedom.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:46:49 AM

Yes, make  Erik Voorhees the Official Guru of Bitcoin. That is more fitting don't we think? Dang, what do I know? Not much at all.

Except,

Bitcoin is Freedom
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:51:34 PM

In his post, Voorhees is stating the obvious. I see nothing sage-like.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about him. I like his politics, but in the past he has taken advantage of people that trusted him.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:57:46 PM

A sage should be a wise one who rises above grubbing around for money.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:04:38 PM

Personally, I have mixed feelings about him. I like his politics, but in the past he has taken advantage of people that trusted him.

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 10:46:43 PM

If I would have been thinking clearly due to lack of sleep, I may have gone with Prophet of Bitcoin oppose to Sage based solely on that ONLY ONE post. Besides, my idea was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

I like Erik' writing style.
Erik keeps a clean desk area.
Erik bedroom is all messed up when his lady friend is in town.

I like Erik.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 10:58:55 PM

Reasonable intelligent people have voted, and NO is firmly ahead, thus some strong reason for such is possible, albeit I'm honestly not versed as to why, for I have been frying other fish and Jerk Chicken.

Yet, when poll, after poll, after poll,... shows that Brock Pierce should not be on the board of TBF, those espousing such are characterized as non-reasonably-intelligent-people. Hence, the person misdirecting us should be, and is, looked into, especially with how he and his clan tried to take over Mt Coxs.

With apologies for the aside.

Damn, I wish I would have gone with Prophet, albeit obtaining the same results.

To be clear, again, I like Erik, having never taken the time, personally, to look into him, always assuming he's one of the good guys. I'm also aware of him owning and selling Satoshi Dice, but never considered anything nefarious about that or him because of such.

I regret that to date I've not had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

~Bruno Kucinskas
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:59:50 PM

I like Erik's writing a lot.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:21:17 AM

Erik is very articulate and can organize his thoughts well when he speaks. I think he walks the thin line very well between the libertarian views of many user of BTC, as well as those who are pro-regulation.

His interviews are ones that I actually watch and listen to the entire thing. 
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:24:27 AM

Erik is very articulate and can organize his thoughts well when he speaks. I think he walks the thin line very well between the libertarian views of many user of BTC, as well as those who are pro-regulation.

His interviews are ones that I actually watch and listen to the entire thing. 

yeah, he seems like a genuine guy.. but i've been wrong before, so i should reserve my judgment.
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:24:46 AM

What? You mean that Brock P. isnt the godfather of bitcoin? Ive heard several people state this so it must be true!

EDIT: Hi keithers Smiley

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 02:42:43 AM

What? You mean that Brock P. isnt the godfather of bitcoin? Ive heard several people state this so it must be true!

That's why it's important to keep all these monikers straight.

Satoshi Nakamoto: Savior
Roger Ver: Bitcoin Jesus
Gavin Andresen: Bitcoin Moses
Brock Pierce: Godfather of Bitcoin (Bitcoin Syndicate based in Bitropolis)
Erik Voorhees: Bitcoin Prophet (humorously proposed)
?: Bitcoin Sage
Jeffrey Tucker: Bitcoin Guru (proposed)
?: Bitcoin Clown
Mark Karpeles: ?
?: Bitcoin Pizza Dude

Bruno Kucinskas: The Most Interesting BTC In The World (TMIBTCITW)
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:11:07 AM

That's why it's important to keep all these monikers straight.

Satoshi Nakamoto: Savior
Roger Ver: Bitcoin Jesus
Gavin Andresen: Bitcoin Moses
Brock Pierce: Godfather of Bitcoin (Bitcoin Syndicate based in Bitropolis)
Erik Voorhees: Bitcoin Prophet (humorously proposed)
?: Bitcoin Sage
Jeffrey Tucker: Bitcoin Guru (proposed)
?: Bitcoin Clown
Mark Karpeles: ?
?: Bitcoin Pizza Dude

Bruno Kucinskas: The Most Interesting BTC In The World (TMIBTCITW)

Ohh lord no, take his name off of there lol.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: