Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:20:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bockchain.info - where is my private key  (Read 1319 times)
lovethepirk (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:44:25 AM

I just got my second account to start fresh. When you log into blockchain.info it is quite clear what your public key is because it is printed large on the webpage. 

I was told if blockchain.info goes bankrupt I still have my bitcoins b/c I have the private key.  Where is this private key?  It is no where to be found on the website? 

Thanks
cahirlet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:50:42 AM

Go to Import/Export, click paper wallet on the left tab and a window will come up. It contains a PDF backup of your addresses. Print it for backup and place it at a safe place.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:03:46 AM

I just got my second account to start fresh. When you log into blockchain.info it is quite clear what your public key is because it is printed large on the webpage. 

I was told if blockchain.info goes bankrupt I still have my bitcoins b/c I have the private key.  Where is this private key?  It is no where to be found on the website? 

Thanks

You can go to inport/export (input your primary password) then click on export unencrypted (and enter your sending password if you have one).

Some people consider a private key to be considered compromised once they are in this state. It would probably be better to export your private key encrypted then you can decrypt your keys with your primary and sending passwords. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:52:46 AM

Also if you give them an email address, they'll email you a wallet back up.
Always handy to have, but it's up to you if you wanna share your email address with them.

Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:28:33 AM

Indeed, that is your bitcoin address, not your ECDSA public key.

Mayuyu48

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:00:53 AM

another question : since newest release multibit doesn't accept json file anymore (blockchain.info backup fromat )
where we can import that backup? electrum?

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:51:24 AM

Thanks

When u log into blockchain.info, u'll see a Paper Wallet icon in the bottom right corner. Just click on it and save your paper wallet in PDF form. The private key is in WIF.

chaosPT

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:21:47 PM

Thanks

When u log into blockchain.info, u'll see a Paper Wallet icon in the bottom right corner. Just click on it and save your paper wallet in PDF form. The private key is in WIF.

How do you use the private key from that PDF file ?
Loophole

Activity: 619

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:28:30 PM

Thanks

The long string "5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" is your private key.
You can import it in other wallet client and then you can spend the bitcoin on your address.

batmanbad

Activity: 270

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:35:36 PM

Just back up the balance to a dat file on cloud?
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:11:21 PM

This makes no sense at all, writing down your balance won't help you recover your coins.

I suggest you BIP38 encrypt your key and write it down.
Harley997

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:59:36 PM

Thanks

You could scan the QR code with your phone, or your could print it out and scan with your webcam.

I would not recommend trying this buy you could also manually type in your private key into QT or blockchain (this would probably result in a lot of frustration, but it is possible)

PRIMEDICE
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:45:36 PM

Thanks

Simply select & copy your private key from the PDF file. Almost all standard wallets support importing wallet using private key. Be careful, dont send or show your private key to anyone. That is the gateway to your wealth.

Pkofet

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:54:04 PM

As others explained, writing down your addresses and balance would be helpful at all.
What you need is the private keys, and nothing more than that.

You could also encrypted the file with your private keys in 7zip or winrar.

Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:00:23 PM

You can also print it out or save it in your email, I believe.
Harley997

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 12:40:09 AM

You can also print it out or save it in your email, I believe.

If you are going to use email backups you better be sure that you have a strong primary password as if your email gets hacked then your wallet backup would be vulnerable.

PRIMEDICE
zahra4571

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 05:41:58 AM

If blockchain is down, its very possible they will collect all of your BTC its safer to use cold storage because you are the only who have private key

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 09:19:55 AM

If blockchain is down, its very possible they will collect all of your BTC its safer to use cold storage because you are the only who have private key

BlockChain cant be down as long as the Internet is up. I think u mean BlockChain.info. Now, they cant steal your BTC as they dont store your private key. It is stored in an encrypted form in their DB and only your password can unlock it.

byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:39:03 AM

BlockChain cant be down as long as the Internet is up. I think u mean BlockChain.info. Now, they cant steal your BTC as they dont store your private key. It is stored in an encrypted form in their DB and only your password can unlock it.

Correct, and cold storage isn't useful at all for daily transactions.
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:54:37 AM

"You can go to import/export (input your primary password) then click on export unencrypted (and enter your sending password if you have one)."

That's right ! Smiley

█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███