Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:42:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Supporting BIP 16  (Read 2949 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 09:01:37 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2012, 12:27:39 AM by Gavin Andresen

A few of the big mining pools have started supporting BIP 16, and I feel pretty confident that they've shaken out any major bugs.

If you'd like to jump on the bandwagon, backported code for BIP 16 is available at:
  https://github.com/gavinandresen/bitcoin-git/
... in the "p2sh_backport" and "p2sh_backport_vinced" branches.

Backports are available for all releases from bitcoin version 0.3.19 forward; for example if you're running code forked from the 0.3.24 release you would:

Code:
git checkout -b bip16  # Create a branch for the changes, just in case
git fetch --tags git://github.com/gavinandresen/bitcoin-git.git p2sh_backport
git tag -l 'bip16*'  # List the backports available
git merge bip16_v0.3.24_1

The "vinced_mergedmine" tags are for if you are using Vince's 'getauxwork' patch/branch for merged mining (based on bitcoin version 0.3.24).

If you're running latest&greatest or are willing to upgrade to the latest&greatest, BIP 16 support is already in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/

Finally, if you do decide to support BIP 16, upgrade your code, and start mining with it, let me know and I'll be happy to thank you publicly in my signature  (offer good until I run into the 300-characters-in-the-signature forum limit).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:19:00 PM

is there a windows binary available? (0.5.2?)
chunglam
Donator

Activity: 229
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:04:50 AM

I've updated to the latest version of Bitcoin and I'm mining with my meager farm in P2Pool. Just wanted to share. I don't need a place in the sig!  Smiley
Hi, where can I download the Windows bitcoind.exe for using with p2pool? Thanks for help.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 05:08:19 PM

You know how I say "I make mistakes, don't trust me" ...

A bug in my code is dropping transaction fees from the block reward. Simple to fix, and obvious in hindsight; I will be personally reimbursing everybody who got bit by this bug by finding the blocks affected by this, figuring out what transaction fees the creators SHOULD have received, and sending that number of bitcoins to the block-award address.

Backports and the main git HEAD tree have been patched with the fix.

On a higher level:

There is obviously not going to be 50+% blockchain support for BIP 16 on Tuesday; I'm going to start conversations on how to move forward.

And there has obviously not been enough testing of the BIP 16 code. Getting people to thoroughly test things BEFORE code makes it into the main tree has been a chronic problem, I'd appreciate ideas on how to avoid this kind of annoying, time-wasting "it's ready"/"oops, found a bug"/"it's fixed"/"wait, no, somebody found another bug" thing in the future. I've been unsuccessful finding the kind of QA (quality assurance) person who can both do the QA and do the fundraising necessary so they get paid.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 05:31:06 PM

nFees was defined twice?
How come the fees weren't 0 all the time?
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 03:56:48 AM

What are pool operaters thinking?

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 03:02:08 PM

nFees was defined twice?
How come the fees weren't 0 all the time?

The fees were 0 all the time, that was the bug.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 04:23:13 PM

There's strong support for this from the miners in my pool, so BitMinter is now running BIP-16 enabled bitcoind + BIP-16 votes in block generation.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 07:26:28 AM

What are pool operaters thinking?
You know how I say "I make mistakes, don't trust me" ...

On a higher level:

There is obviously not going to be 50+% blockchain support for BIP 16 on Tuesday; I'm going to start conversations on how to move forward.

And there has obviously not been enough testing of the BIP 16 code. Getting people to thoroughly test things BEFORE code makes it into the main tree has been a chronic problem, I'd appreciate ideas on how to avoid this kind of annoying, time-wasting "it's ready"/"oops, found a bug"/"it's fixed"/"wait, no, somebody found another bug" thing in the future. I've been unsuccessful finding the kind of QA (quality assurance) person who can both do the QA and do the fundraising necessary so they get paid.

Well, everyone makes mistakes....don't get too hung up on that Smiley

But "time-wasting "it's ready"/"oops, found a bug"/"it's fixed"/"wait, no, somebody found another bug" thing" makes me think we need to spend more time on this solution rather than rushing into something, these changes are too important to Bitcoin in the future to get wrong now.
I do realise what is implemented now will take time, it still doesnt encourage me to rush now Smiley

QA does seem to be an issue, I would happily chip in 4-5BTC/month if some way of collecting to pay a suitable qualified and independent QA tester was organised, I am sure there would be plenty of others in the community willing to support this. I actually think this is more important than any of the BIPS currently on the table for Bitcoin going forward Smiley

my 0.002btc worth
Best
Graeme Tee
Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 05:52:14 PM

I've started a discussion on BIP 16/17 support moving forward (including trying to improve the testing process) here:
  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61922.0

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 10:24:09 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2012, 10:43:35 PM by Gavin Andresen

A bug in my code is dropping transaction fees from the block reward. Simple to fix, and obvious in hindsight; I will be personally reimbursing everybody who got bit by this bug by finding the blocks affected by this, figuring out what transaction fees the creators SHOULD have received, and sending that number of bitcoins to the block-award address.

Transaction sent: 2d3006cf1e16cb9f4097894fdaa0739c66d38eb9e0356be3fd8daf63810cf375

I wrote some code that found all blocks with "/P2SH/" in their coinbase that did not include transaction fees in the block reward. I extracted the block reward payment address (or addresses, if it was a p2pool block) and reimbursed those addresses.

If the amount would be less than 0.0011 bitcoins, then I rounded the amount awarded up to 0.0011.  Just because eleven is my favorite number (well, and because I like the idea of rewarding p2pool users, I think p2pool is neat).

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 05:29:58 PM

Supporting BIP 16 is important. Everyone, please ask your pool operators to start supporting it. It's a critical update for the whole development of Bitcoin and if the development of Bitcoin stalls, so will your mining profits (eventually).

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 06:32:40 PM

Supporting BIP 16 is important. Everyone, please ask your pool operators to start supporting it.
Or offer your Ghashes to a suitable pool in exchange for BIP 16 support.  Most pools don't care to much about BIP 16 or not, or don't want to change anything that works, but they may care for a few percent increased hashing power.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 06:40:07 PM

Supporting BIP 16 is important. Everyone, please ask your pool operators to start supporting it.
Or offer your Ghashes to a suitable pool in exchange for BIP 16 support.  Most pools don't care to much about BIP 16 or not, or don't want to change anything that works, but they may care for a few percent increased hashing power.

It's not so much that pools don't care, its that they weren't started to be in charge of what changes the bitcoin protocol adopts.  With these block based votes, it put a significant amount of power into pool owner's hands that they did not ask for.  We're being very careful with this issue because the last thing any pool owner wants is to be the one that allowed something to pass through that breaks something down the road.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 07:20:22 PM

It's a shame that the lead developer has to beg for supporter.

simplecoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 02:46:25 AM

simplecoin.us is now running the latest source, which I believe also supports BIP16?

Donations: 1VjGJHPtLodwCFBDWsHJMdEhqRcRKdBQk
gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 03:02:34 AM

Although I think the 16/17 thing is a shambles, and that 16 is the way forward, I support this level of "decentralization". I trust Gavin Andresen with the Bitcoin protocol, but it's important that the network isn't ruled by one person: although "Benevolent Dictator" works really well for a lot of open source projects, the financial nature of bitcoin changes things somewhat!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 03:04:53 AM

Although I think the 16/17 thing is a shambles, and that 16 is the way forward, I support this level of "decentralization". I trust Gavin Andresen with the Bitcoin protocol, but it's important that the network isn't ruled by one person: although "Benevolent Dictator" works really well for a lot of open source projects, the financial nature of bitcoin changes things somewhat!

"Move fast, break things" - Mark Zuckerberg

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 03:31:04 AM

Breaking things in facebook is very different to breaking a financial system.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 03:39:12 AM

Breaking things in facebook is very different to breaking a financial system.

I realize that. While I do have skin in the game, I would rather see innovation than limitations. The internet moves at a different pace than Wall Street. Cautious exuberance is in order. Couldn't we just take a "Bitcoin Holiday" from mining and commerce to thoroughly test the new client?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: