Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:50:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: **SCAM ALERT** Old accounts coming back  (Read 6270 times)
Maged (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 06:58:36 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 09:12:26 PM by Maged

Recently, people who have been inactive for a long time have been requesting loans out of the blue. These accounts have been compromised. At this time, we believe that the accounts used the same password as what was released back during the MtGox hack. We are marking these accounts as scammers as soon as we see them, but there are several that we've missed. If you see someone request a loan after being largely inactive, REPORT THE POST AND CONTACT A MODERATOR IMMEDIATELY.

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 03:04:37 PM

epii (or at least the hacker who is now controlling his account) is also a scammer

(BFL)^2 < 0
Maged (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 06:55:17 PM

This is the list we have:
bitbetter
Gluskab
brunoshady
killer2021
kuba_10
Sjalq
madload
darvil
epii
Clarithium
borito4
tachi641
pharno
Iyeman

If the account is no longer marked as a scammer, that means that we believe that the original owner has taken back the account. However, you should still ask for extra identification before transacting with any of these people.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up Maged

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 10:38:27 PM

An admin should run the password list against logins and see if they match (probably many more have been cracked since the original publication of passwords, they might be circulating in underworld circles). Also, inactive accounts that have email addresses on that list should be locked, with email confirmation to reopen (supposing the pwnd person didn't use the same pw on here, mtgox, AND email...)

Another trigger for investigation should be a password reset after long inactivity. Inactive, reset pw, post for loan: lock.
splatster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:37:49 PM

Recently chris200x9 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3079) came onto IRC asking for a 2 day 5% loan.  He said he couldn't identify and he couldn't auth.  If you look at his lastest posts (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3079;sa=showPosts), you will notice a large 5-6 month gap between June 2011 and December 2011.  If he can auth or identify, then I would retract this post.  However, as of now, his identity is shaky and I wanted to warn anyone considering loaning to him.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 07:42:50 PM

This one is pretty obvious:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61781.0

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
splatster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:35:57 PM

Recently chris200x9 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3079) came onto IRC asking for a 2 day 5% loan.  He said he couldn't identify and he couldn't auth.  If you look at his lastest posts (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3079;sa=showPosts), you will notice a large 5-6 month gap between June 2011 and December 2011.  If he can auth or identify, then I would retract this post.  However, as of now, his identity is shaky and I wanted to warn anyone considering loaning to him.

is there anyway to be taken off this list once the admins recognize I'm awesome? If not, character assasination.

If you can identify on IRC and/or GPG Authenticate on #bitcoin-otc, I would be more confident in trusting you, as would everyone else.  You cannot provide any proof of identity except that you have access to this seemingly inactive forum account.
Maged (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 10:54:02 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2012, 11:08:08 PM by Maged

is there anyway to be taken off this list once the admins recognize I'm awesome? If not, character assasination.

If you can identify on IRC and/or GPG Authenticate on #bitcoin-otc, I would be more confident in trusting you, as would everyone else.  You cannot provide any proof of identity except that you have access to this seemingly inactive forum account.

I just replied to chmod775's email to my bitcoin-otc registered email address...
GPG identify here, or we'll reset your forum password and mark you as a scammer until you do.

GPG sign the following:

I verify that the following post was made by me:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61500.msg720921#msg720921

Edit: I looked into it, and I see that isn't possible. However, he looks clean. I'll get back to you guys on the IP check.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:11:40 PM

Mark me as a spammer, I dare you! If you delete this account after 200+ I won't come back, isn't wierd the geo tag of my ip is the same, I have access to all my email account and I have access to my forum account. What a bunch of cry babies I am inactive for a while then shortly after I come back ask for a ~5 dollar loan and everyone is like "STANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER!" Riddle me this what kind of scammer makes a series of mundane posts before trying to pull off a 5 dollar scam?
A thorough one. How many coins you looking for? I might be able to help.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:21:35 AM

Mark me as a spammer, I dare you! If you delete this account after 200+ I won't come back, isn't wierd the geo tag of my ip is the same, I have access to all my email account and I have access to my forum account. What a bunch of cry babies I am inactive for a while then shortly after I come back ask for a ~5 dollar loan and everyone is like "STANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER!" Riddle me this what kind of scammer makes a series of mundane posts before trying to pull off a 5 dollar scam?

A confidence man, mostly desperate and unoriginal, and more than likely a teenager unable to earn money on their own. Next question?

chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:26:11 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2012, 04:03:29 PM by chris200x9

A confidence man, mostly desperate and unoriginal, and more than likely a teenager unable to earn money on their own. Next question?

1BYwQ9bYxatmtL5GadfA5d5Jn6mMHJU3gZ I ordered 2 magazines you have my name and address, jesus.

also:

Edit: I looked into it, and I see that isn't possible. However, he looks clean. I'll get back to you guys on the IP check.

edit2: "desperate and unoriginal" no not desperate at all. I no longer want the loan, I'm not a drug addictict I'm not jonesing for a fix I don't need 1 btc, I would have liked the loan but I certainly don't need it. I am however frustrated I'll go down in history as a scammer despite overwhelming evidence I'm not simpley because I can't gpg authenticate. I guess gpg key > has access to forum account, has acess to gpg email account, has access to forum email account, has the exact same geo location....
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:10:15 PM

1BYwQ9bYxatmtL5GadfA5d5Jn6mMHJU3gZ I ordered 2 magazines you have my name and address, jesus.

also:

edit2: "desperate and unoriginal" no not desperate at all. I no longer want the loan, I'm not a drug addictict I'm not jonesing for a fix I don't need 1 btc, I would have liked the loan but I certainly don't need it. I am however frustrated I'll go down in history as a scammer despite overwhelming evidence I'm not simpley because I can't gpg authenticate. I guess gpg key > has access to forum account, has acess to gpg email account, has access to forum email account, has the exact same geo location....

LOL.....

Chris, I was just answering the question, I wasn't talking about you ^_^

Riddle me this what kind of scammer makes a series of mundane posts before trying to pull off a 5 dollar scam?

chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:11:09 PM

Sorry, Sad

I get defensive alot...bad habit...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:40:13 PM

Sorry, Sad

I get defensive alot...bad habit...

It's alright, it takes a while to get used to the hive-mind attitude around here. The sooner you get used to it, the sooner they stop being able to pick up your scent. You'd think becoming more known would make you a bigger target, but this community's one and only enemy seems to be anonymity, something they claim to embrace.

It's a double edged sword.

kpriess

Activity: 415

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 10:42:05 PM

Why not just deactivate the account and force a password reset through email confirmation..
Minutia

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:06:37 AM

very interesting
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:17:09 PM

Necro hmm'er

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:23:51 PM

Surely, if person has not logged in for a long time, then logs in from say an IP in a complete different country, cant we force them to confirm account or somthing? Cant remember if when I signed up if there was email conf., but surely, could just set flag to "requires email conf" to 1 or whatnot?

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:55:19 PM

I don't think SMF is that smart without customization. But I think    Maged is right. Recently there have been a ton of gift card sellers that are either brand new users or old users who have since been dormant. But they all want to sell easily carded gift cards.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: